The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My last bench workout - suggestions for improvement?

I'm 29yo, 6'0, 180lbs at around 19-20% bf...not bulking or cutting currently...my 1rm on the bench is 235lbs..squat is around 225lbs (started squatting somewhat late but working on it and making decent gains)...and deadlift is 325lbs..

here's what I did during my last bench workout...I work out alone at home in my power rack

135 * 4 warmup
    185 * 1 warmup

205 * 3
    210 * 3
    215 * 3
    220 * 2
    225 * 1

After this I had absolutely nothing left..I put on 210 and couldn't even do it once..This is pretty much the kind of bench routine I do every Saturday, which is my bench day...i workout 3 other times during the week(leg day, back day, shoulder day)..Since I'm using extremely heavy weight with low reps on bench day, I usually have nothing left to do close grips and inclines, but once in a while I'll sneak in a close grip bench/incline bench day during the week.

My primary goal is strength...my bench numbers haven't really increased in a few months..Do you guys have any suggestions on how I might alter my bench routine(weights/rep scheme etc) to get better results? Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's my full routine just in case you were wondering:

Saturday(bench day)

Sunday(legs):
    4-5 sets of squats, 6-8 reps.
    4 sets of leg extensions(8-10 reps)
    2-3 sets of SLDLs (6-8 reps)

Tuesday(shoulders):
    4-5 sets of military/push barbell presses(5-6 reps)
    3 sets of upright barbell rows (6-8 reps)
    2 sets of lateral DB raises (8 reps)
    2 sets of front DB raises (8 reps)

Thursday(back):
    4 sets of conventional DLs(4-6 reps)
    3 sets of barbell shrugs (6 reps)
    3 sets of bent over barbell rows(6 reps)

Also, I do pullups about 3-4 times a week not during my workouts. I can do about 4-5 sets of 5 pullups, and am doing them pretty often so that I can do 10+ pullups asap.
    Last edited by ufc2005; 10-02-2005 at 10:32 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

squat it all!
    how do you shoulders feel on bench day? the reason i ask, is that there's a chance you're overtraining shoulders based on the amount of volume you do for them, and the fact that they get worked to some extent with benches and rows, etc...
    always hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by ufc2005
    205 * 3
    210 * 3
    215 * 3
    220 * 2
    225 * 1
    Try a downward progression next time, after you warmup. Warmup to a single at 205, and then go to 225 for max reps, which will be a few, but more than one, then drop weight to 215 or 205 and then 195 or 185.

This may help with technique and your comfort at the higher weight.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Hey squatitall, I actually do have a minor problem with my right shoulder..perhaps it's the result of benching heavy for so long..I never really did do the 3 sets of 8 reps thing for bench...i've always been working out in the 3-6 rep range..

what usually happens is that after my warmup, I feel some minor tightness / pain in my right shoulder, but it goes away once I get into my working sets..

I added a shoulder day into my routine 3-4 months ago, and since then, the pain in my right shoulder has actually decreased..so I think it's actually helped them..

Mixmasternash, I never really thought of that..I guess i've gotten so used to an upwards pyramid on all my exercises..I'll try that..thanks

squat it all!
    yeah, i do the "downward progression" too. that's how i've lifted since high school, and see no reason to stop now. i think it's important for you to get more reps in your work sets, at least for a while. you say you've always stuck to the 3-6 range for bench. maybe it's time to do some higher reps for a while, then drop back down.
    always hungry...

Wannabebig Member
    Well it looks like your going for power lifting with the routine your doing looks like metal militia training try doing warm up at 12x65% then go for the others 3x80% 3x85% 3x90%
    Age - 17
    Weight - 212

[PR]
    weight/date
    RAW Bench - 235x1 last year
    RAW Bench - 295x1 06/20/06
    RAW Bench - 305x1 08/08/06

hmmm you could try killing shoulder day and turn it into clean/snatch day + military press. i just think cleans and snatches are so essential
    delete this account

boredom, 3 * 80%, 3 * 85%, 3 * 90% would work out to 3 * 190, 3 * 200 and 3 * 210 respectively...which would be very easy for me to get..

i think I might need to lower the weights a little and do a 5 * 5reps / 8 * 3reps scheme or something like that(for a total of abt 25 reps), because if you count the # of reps I get in a typical bench workout, it's not very high at all...(between 10 and 15 only)...do you guys think a 5*5reps with ~205lbs or 8*3reps with 200-205lbs would be more effective than what I currently do? Is 10-12 total reps over the course of a workout too little? other ideas i'm tossing around are incorporating some speed benching into my workout...as well as finding the right spot in my routine for doing dedicated close grip BP and skullcrushers for my tris(which are not a weak point, but can never be strong enough for benching)

mattanshrager, i work out at home in a 1BR condo, and doing those types of explosive olympic routines, is probably outta the question because I have very little room as it is, and would probably end up damaging the floors/walls or the whole apt. ...not to mention the fact that I have no idea how to do them and would probably end up dislocating or breaking something or even worse
    Last edited by ufc2005; 10-04-2005 at 10:21 AM.

Mix up your rep ranges constantly. It's worked wonders for me recently.

Do 10s, 5s, and 3s. 3-4 working sets.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.