The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    squat it all!

Top-end work for raw benchers?

i understand the importance of top-end strength to shirted benching (developed using board press, rack press, close grip, press with bands and/or chains, etc...), as the shirt provides a lot of assistance off the chest. but is it AS important for raw benchers? if not, what's more important? thanks.
    always hungry...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Not as important. What you need is to be a tricep bencher. Then focus on your weakest points, , whatever they are, i.e if triceps then do more triceps work including close grip, if you're too slow yet you're not on your lasts reps, bands and chains work (questionable) and other kind of explosive work, learning to give out all you have at every moment, etc.

I'd use those movements very sparingly for a raw bencher. Focusing on larger ROM and bottom-end movements is a lot more important.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    I'd use those movements very sparingly for a raw bencher. Focusing on larger ROM and bottom-end movements is a lot more important.
    What are some larger ROM/bottom-end movements that would help? I would think DBs would be included to increase ROM?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

trekzak
    I would suggest you to do these exercises, even as a raw bencher. Nothing is more important for a strong bench than strong tri's and the exercises mentioned above make them strong. Simple as that

greetz,
    Ron
    I'm gonna be a HUGE mofo!

Check out my trainingslog: click here

Just find where you're sticking point is, and work on that... My bench is still pretty weak, but my sticking point is still a few inches off my chest like most shirt using lifters (At least to my understanding...)

A counter argument would be that a sticking point a few inches off the chest means that you're too slow at the bottom of your ROM, not that your triceps are weak. If this is true then you would need to work your shoulders/chest/explosivenss more. Just try both and see what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    What are some larger ROM/bottom-end movements that would help? I would think DBs would be included to increase ROM?
    DBs are a very good choice, yeah.

Wide-grip BP, low board presses, think along those lines.

I would suggest you to do these exercises, even as a raw bencher. Nothing is more important for a strong bench than strong tri's and the exercises mentioned above make them strong. Simple as that.
    This is where thinking comes in handy, as opposed to just regurgitating information.

The reason I recommended what I did is that a raw bencher doesn't have a shirt to provide support at the bottom of the lift, which is coincidentally the weak point for every person on Earth that benches without a shirt.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    yeah, love the DB presses. what about dips? hits the tri's hard, and forces you to keep the elbows in and a slight arch in the back, similar to proper bench form, no? thoughts on this?
    always hungry...

The reason I recommended what I did is that a raw bencher doesn't have a shirt to provide support at the bottom of the lift, which is coincidentally the weak point for every person on Earth that benches without a shirt.
    I politely disagree with this statement. I stick about halfway up, therefore I believe a 3 or 4 board press would benefit me to some degree. I'd rather use full ROM skullcrushers or something though.

I do recall reading an article at t-nation that raved about board presses for the triceps in general, whether raw or equipped, but opinions are like a-holes.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

trekzak
    DBs are a very good choice, yeah.

Wide-grip BP, low board presses, think along those lines.

This is where thinking comes in handy, as opposed to just regurgitating information.

Think whatever you want, IMO triceps are by far the most important aspect of the bench and making them stronger makes your bench stronger.
    I'm gonna be a HUGE mofo!

Check out my trainingslog: click here

Curious...does anyone have different "sticking points" between repping and maxing?

When I'm working out / repping, my failure is always ~ 1/2 way up (triceps). However when I max (which I'll admit I rarely do) it's either: 1.) can't get it off the chest or 2.) complete the rep.

Could it be my triceps fatigue quicker?
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by harv
    Curious...does anyone have different "sticking points" between repping and maxing?

When I'm working out / repping, my failure is always ~ 1/2 way up (triceps). However when I max (which I'll admit I rarely do) it's either: 1.) can't get it off the chest or 2.) complete the rep.

Could it be my triceps fatigue quicker?
    I've never thought about it until now, but I'm the same way.

squat it all!
    i think my tri's fatigue first with higher reps, and my chest fatigues first with lower reps. so i guess i have a similar issue as you.
    always hungry...

Triceps are predominantly fast twitch in nature so when "repping out" chances are they'll fatigue first.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo