Thread: How long to do cardio? Do weights too?

Wannabebig Member

How long to do cardio? Do weights too?

Hi guys,

I am coming back from a 3 month working mania... I was overseas for a month and a half and working 60+ hours a week during that. Needless to say, I'm quitting my job soon as I find something good however, right now I need to lose the weight I put on during my crazy working period. It was a huge project and I just didn't have time or energy to do anything I know I'm making excuses... but well... either way

Here's the thing. I'm 6 feet tall, and tipping 200lbs. If I were in good shape then this wouldn't bother me, but the weight is a bit high for my liking and I need to lose it. Cardio is obviously the way, but I do have a few Qs before going all nuts on this. Weight loss and fitness is my goal -- if I gain muscle mass great, but I'd rather be cut up like Bruce Lee than look like the Hulk

My problem is pretty simple... I cannot do impact cardio. Swimming is a maybe, but right now I'm stuck on the elliptical and from last night, I know I can get a good sweat going on it and last thru the 'weight loss' program which runs 30 minutes of ups and downs.

Question is... should I do straight cardio or should I do weights too? Like I said, I'm not looking to get big so I'm not sure how I should structure a weight training regiment... I've never really been in great shape (I was always skinny and NOW look!) so I'm unsure on how to see if I'm starting out with the right weight, what exercises to do, and how often to change them up.

Additionally.. I think I may do more serious weight training AFTER I've lost the weight, but is this a good idea? I mean, I feel more comfortable when my clothes are loose rather than now, where they are tight and never were before. So that's why I was going to lose the weight and then do strength training -- unless this is counterproductive and that I'd lose time.

I appreciate any info you can give me. Right now I'm cutting down on my caloric intake daily by eating more healthy foods, lots of fruit, lots of water, and cutting down on carbonated beverages. I am also going to get some snacks to keep with me while I'm at work instead of getting a Snickers or something as I've done in the past (any suggestions here for something that doesn't taste like crap?)

I appreciate any help you all can give again, and look forward to hearing some helpful responses so I can get down to like 180lbs where I would feel pretty happy, or even the same weight with some definition.

Thanks a lot!

post up your diet for us? diet is the key!

start lifting as well
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    post up your diet for us? diet is the key!

start lifting as well
    Oh, I don't have a 'set' diet... should I do that? I am really not sure because my schedule is so hectic, it's tough to say one thing for certain and I come home and just eat something light.

I have been eating the 'Healthy Choice' and 'South Beach' frozen food for lunch... something like 300 calories with high protein, low fat. I know it's not the BEST thing, but I have to manage my time between getting in shape, work (which is about 13 hours of my day right now, between my hour+ commute each way and the hours I work), entertainment & girlfriend (they kinda go hand in hand hehe), and sleep.

It's the main reason I'm trying to switch jobs but damn, it's hard to find something different as an IT guy. If anybody needs a great systems admistrator though... give me a buzz

k have a look at wbb routines, WBB 1

GO TO THE DIET/NURTRITION FROUM and raed up on "the best threads on diet and nutrition " start there
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Cardio isn't the key. Diet, then weights, then cardio. Cardio is just when your bored.
    Nick V

cardio is great for burning calories, and keeping the heart strong...but weight traing PLUS cardio is going to give you much better fat loss results, in addition to adding some lean mass (not a ton, but some, especially for a beginner), and strength gains. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns to maintain it, so adding some mass will slightly improve the fat loss over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    Cardio isn't the key. Diet, then weights, then cardio. Cardio is just when your bored.
    It's certainly not beneficial for overall health, or anything.

Well this is one of those questions where we don't all agree. In the medical community (and I agree with them), they acknowledge lowered blood pressure, improved blood lipids/cholesterol levels, lowered stress hormones (cortisol, etc), etc. as some of the health benefits. But a lot of body builders don't see it that way since it contributes little to their goals of increased mass and lowered body fat.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!