Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shoulders

Wannabebig Member

shoulders

i really want to focus on building up my shoulders. i've made nice gains the last year on my arms, chest, and even got the six pack i wanted... but i still not satisfied with my shoulders. so.. what tips do you guys have for getting big broad shoulders?

what kind of routone do you suggest? how many days a week? higher weight, lower reps for size? what excersises are the best? and anythign else of course...

thanks a ton guys.

I'll defer to the others for rep ranges and frequencies, but I've had a lot of success with working the side delts hard.

My shoulder routine is once a week, and usually consists of 3-5 sets of Arnies followed by 3 longer sets (8-12 reps) of standing side laterals.

I also make sure to work the rear delts, at least one exercise for those, 3 longish sets. Usually face-down incline laterals, sometimes face pulls as well.

Banned
    come on built you have to do seated barbell military press! my favorite of all lifts

after that i normally do arnies, 3 sets of 6-8
    followed by front shoulder raises (with those 70-100lb straight bars)
    then side shoulder raises

this is almost all of my routine, im trying to get more rear-delt work in though..

squat it all!
    i'm a firm believer in working the delts back to front. that is, make the rear delts the #1 priority, then the sides, then the front. delts are easily distorted and can become lopsided and "front-heavy" from pressing movements like bench, incline, etc... i found that prioritizing from back to front has made my delts rounder and more balanced.

as for excercises, i like the rear-pec dec machine, bent laterals, and side laterals supersetted with DB presses. good luck!
    Last edited by squat it all!; 10-05-2005 at 01:41 PM.
    always hungry...

i prefer seated bb miltary press

i also add arnolds to my routine superset them with side lat raises as well
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Anybody like standing militaries?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    no.

I do. But, when I'm working out in my basement the ceiling becomes a limiting factor... With my arms extended all the way over my head I become too tall to fit into my basement
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Banned
    standing militaries are horrible for me, i sway all over and am more focused on staying in one position then pushing the weight up, there is NO advantage to them over doing them seated. some argue taht it takes pressure off of your spine to do them standing...but i also think they underestimate the strength of the spine

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    standing militaries are horrible for me, i sway all over and am more focused on staying in one position then pushing the weight up, there is NO advantage to them over doing them seated. some argue taht it takes pressure off of your spine to do them standing...but i also think they underestimate the strength of the spine
    I think that also depends on what kind of weight you're using. Someone that can press like 300lbs for reps seems more vulnerable then someone who presses say 150 for reps (using arbitraty examples). The fact of the matter is, doing them standing does take pressure off the spine which doesn't seem like a bad thing. That being said, I end up doing them seated most of the time anyway due to my ceiling being too low to do them standing and my spine seems to be fine...
    Last edited by cosmicdebree88; 10-05-2005 at 07:52 PM.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I love them. Great movement. I don't do them as strict as I am supposed to be. I put one foot a bit infront of the other. A classic military has feet together, or heels touching.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I'm gonna start doing standing bb militaries for the first time later on during the week.

I've been doing seated db or bb for a long time. It's so much easier to cheat and turn that exercise into a pseudo-incline press movemnt.

I also just started doing Arnold's, definitely a great exercise for the delts.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Not without incident..... Mad Martigan's Avatar
    standing militaries are horrible for me, i sway all over and am more focused on staying in one position then pushing the weight up, there is NO advantage to them over doing them seated.
    Wouldn't that work more stabilizer muscles?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan
    Wouldn't that work more stabilizer muscles?
    Yes! Standing overhead press movements are better than 95% of the stuff you can do in the gym for functional upperbody strength because in addition to great shoulder/trap/tricep strength and size, your whole core gets a workout as well. Its awesome for balance to.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 10-05-2005 at 08:23 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Not without incident..... Mad Martigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Yes! Standing overhead press movements are better than 95% of the stuff you can do in the gym for functional upperbody strength because in addition to great shoulder/trap/tricep strength and size, your whole core gets a workout as well. Its awesome for balance to.
    So I should start busting them out like Lattimer in The Program?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan
    So I should start busting them out like Lattimer in The Program?
    hahha +10 for referencing lattimer

Banned
    if you guys want to do standing by all means go for it, i personally dont feel safe doing them that way, due to the swaying and whatnot, and im not trying to work core or other stabilizers, im trying to work shoulders, if i want to work core ill do that....

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen
    what tips do you guys have for getting big broad shoulders?

what kind of routone do you suggest? how many days a week? higher weight, lower reps for size? what excersises are the best? and anythign else of course...

thanks a ton guys.
    Isn't this where Anthony chimes in and says:
    "Gain 50 lbs"

????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen
    i really want to focus on building up my shoulders. i've made nice gains the last year on my arms, chest, and even got the six pack i wanted... but i still not satisfied with my shoulders. so.. what tips do you guys have for getting big broad shoulders?

thanks a ton guys.
    Just pick a shoulder press and focus on increasing the weight as much as you can.

Just make certain you work each head equally, as well as RC work.

You'll be thankful in the long run.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

if you guys want to do standing by all means go for it, i personally dont feel safe doing them that way, due to the swaying and whatnot, and im not trying to work core or other stabilizers, im trying to work shoulders, if i want to work core ill do that....
    Lets say you can military press 230lbs. You've always done it seated with your back supported. Now lets say you want to enter a strongman competition, or overhead press something heavy to save someone's life... Your core strength and stability is only good enough to support your shoulders pressing heavy weight in a seated position, leaning back against a support. Therefore if you try it standing, your deltoids and triceps might very well be strong enough to lift that heavy weight, but you'll fall over/strain a muscle/pull a muscle/drop the weight on yourself because your stabilizers are weak and because you don't have the balance and stability to support that weight while standing.

"You are only as strong as your weakest link" comes into play here. Its kind of like doing only leg press and leg curls for your thighs. Your quads and hamstrings will get bigger and stronger, sure, but if you try to squat or deadlift something off the ground you're likely to injure yourself and you won't be able to lift any significant amount weight compared to your leg press/curl strength.

If all you care about is size, none of that really matters. If you have any interest in being able to apply that strength to everyday activities or a sport, you need to teach and train your body to work as a single unit.

Oh by the way, if you are worried about your stabilizers holding back your shoulder progress in standing presses, don't be. The men who have the biggest and strongest delts in the world focus almost exclusively on standing press variations in their training - strongman competitors and olympic lifters.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 10-06-2005 at 02:04 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

I recently took standing presses a bit further and started working clean and presses into my should workout. I really like them.

-Tim

Banned
    hmmm interesting input...i might have to give it another try to see how it goes with lower weights

anyhow, i lift mostly for muscle mass more then strength (though getting stronger is a GREAT side effect ). as far as shoulders go mine are progressing somewhat nicely, though lack of a great diet (college food...limited on what i can eat) might not be helping any

i will take your advice into consideration and possibly adjust my routine a bit (as if it doesnt change enough)....