Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Little Friendly Competition

I wannabebig!
    there is nothing wrong with your fat intake, eat away... now if you are getting most of it as saturated fat then you have a problem.

skinny but hopeful
    Here's the breakdown:

Fat: 131 1181 41%
    Sat: 53 480 17%
    Poly: 18 166 6%
    Mono: 41 369 13%
    looking to get big(ger) for the girl...

Still skinny
    My regular Friday weigh-in has to come a day early since I'll be traveling for the next few day. My weight this morning was 172.5lb which I'm pretty damn happy about. I still feel like I could eat more than I have for the last week or two. I need to start tracking on fitday again to see where I'm at and what needs adjusting. I'm still struggling with the whole fat gain thing, I guess I'm just not used to it. Stupid gut.
    The workouts are still going well. My shoulder hasn't hurt in over a week which is great. I've been doing some rotator cuff exercises during my warm-up, seems to help.

Wannabebig Member
    Looking forward to seeing your Journal and btw your leg day weights were similar to mine! Trust me dude i know how it feels to read posts and think holy S**T im weak. Gl, and btw post your weights it doesnt really matter lol. Oh btw check out my journal!

skinny but hopeful
    I didn't any weight from monday through yesterday, so I'm sitting on 170.5 right now. Overall a pretty crappy week, didn't sleep well because I was using horrible form on DL's on monday, (thankfully somebody came over and showed me the right way) so my back hurt the first part of the week. Also because of that I pushed wednesday's workout to yesterday, and I'm going to do today's workout tomorrow. Hopefully I can eat enough over the weekend to go up a pound or so by monday.

BTW, what are you doing, if anything, for abs?

Wannabebig Member
    nope i used to but i heard it wasnt that important and i havent figured out how to do weighted ones by placing a plate on me yet lol. Btw about the deadlift i had the same problem till last week now i feel great!!!

Still skinny
    My plan is to do a little cardio and ab work on my off days (tues & thurs) but I haven't been real consistent on that. I can definitely tell that my core is getting some work from other exercises. Once I'm happy with my weight I'll certainly spend some more time on abs and shedding some fat.
    Sorry to hear about the dl problems. I haven't had any problems but I think I'll still have one of the pt's review my form. Probably not a bad idea.

skinny but hopeful
    I just started doing push up/lateral crunches, my plan is to do them every morning and night, but I'm not quite there yet. What you do is do a normal push up, and then bring your right knee up and touch (or get as close as you can to) your left elbow. Then do another push up, left knee to right elbow, repeat... I'm doing 2 sets of 8, and then doing a bunch of crunches. btw, through experimentation, I figured out a pretty kick ass blend for protein shakes. I use 8 ounces of whole milk, 3 strawberries, 1/3 cup of plain yogurt, and a scoop of 100% whey, vanilla flavor. It really kills the aftertaste that I usually get from the creatine, which is what I hated the most about them, and it tastes awesome! What are you putting in yours?

Still skinny
    Interesting ab exercise, can't say I've heard of that one before. Do you move your arms in any way while you are bringing your knee in?
    My ab workout usually consists of 2x25 captain chair leg raises, 2x25 bicycles and then some various crunches.
    That shake receipe sounds pretty good. I have chocolate flavor right now but I'm thinking of picking up some vanilla just for variety. Mine usually consist of Whole milk, scoop of whey, 1-2 tbl spoons of natty pb, 1-2 table spoons of olive oil, 5g creatine, and a banana. Sometimes I replace the banana with some blueberries. It's pretty good.
    It's now 5am and I'm heading to the gym...ugh, definitely needed more sleep this weekend...

skinny but hopeful
    weighed in today at 170.6, dissapointed in last week, but looking to put on some serious weight this week, as I have to put on 2.9 lbs/week to make my goal. I'm looking for a motivational poster/calendar to put on my door, anyone know of a good one?

Still skinny
    Today's leg workout was just great. My weights only increased marginally but I feel like I'm really getting the form of squats and SLDLs down. I've always had a hard time keeping my weight on my heals during squats, I always felt like I was leaning forward a little and putting too much weight on the balls of my feet. I've tried looking up to keep my back straight but I guess I wasn't looking up enough. Today I just focused on looking almost up at the ceiling, and what do you know, my back is nice and straight and the weight is on my heels. Whoo hoo. I think the improvement in form will let me start adding some weight since I feel way more secure now. I'm excited.
    Same basic concept on the SLDLs. Keeping my weight on my heels just makes the lift feel much better.
    Also, on the calf raises I tried holding at the top for about two seconds and that definitly made them way harder, but I like it. I think I'll keep doing that for a while.
    Oh, and today I saw the first guy (other than me) deadlifting at my gym. Lots of other people squat but in the three months there I have seen zero people deadlift, until today. This guy was lifting reasonably heavy and looked like he knew what he was doing. He seemed pretty friendly so I think I might have him critique my form on DLs one of these days.

Todays workout was something like this (i'm not putting down WU sets):
    Squat - 135x8 135x8
    Hack Squat - 115x8 115x8 (I'm not really digging these, just akward)
    SLDL-185x8 185x6
    Standing calf raise - 75x10 75x10 90x8
    Leg Curl - 110x8 115x8 120x6

Still crappy little weights but I feel like I'm making some progress so I'm pretty happy with everything.

And k, as far as motivation goes, try this thread http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=38038
    It got me thinking about what some of my ultimate goals might be. Being at the half way point to my 180lb goal right now, I'm starting to realize that 180 just won't be big enough. Granted it's way bigger than I've ever been but hell, I'm 6'1", I should be able to carry around 200lb easy....but that will take some time.

skinny but hopeful
    I'd talk about my leg workout yesterday, but it would just be a copy of your post. I'm loving squats, now that I'm going parallel it makes them that much harder and makes them take longer.

my #'s look like this:
    Squats - 120x8 135x8
    SLDL - 115x8 135x8 (still not super confident with these)
    Calf Raise - 180x8 180x8 230x10
    Leg Curl - 145x8 185x8
    also, I've been doing Leg extensions: 145x8 200x10

weighed in at 172.2 yesterday, which is awesome, 17.8 pounds to go!
    I feel the same as you do about the weight, but I'm 6'4", I should be able to carry around 220 easy, but we'll see...

Military Press - 70x6 75x6
    DB press - 30x6 30x8
    lateral raises - 20x8 20x8
    narrow grip BP - 85x8 95x5
    French Press - 50x8 60x6
    BB curls - 70x8 70x8
    Hammer curls - 25x8 30x8
    added cable pull downs: 100x6 100x6

Bench - 95x8 105x8
    low incline DB Press - 30x8 30x7
    dips - 6, 2
    chin ups - 5, 2
    dead lifts - 185x6 185x8
    DB rows - 55x8 55x8
    shrugs - 100x10 110x10
    Last edited by ksw3153; 11-10-2005 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added chest/back and tri/bi/shoulders numbers

Still skinny
    Nice job on the weight gain.
    I'm starting to struggle again with wanting to put on weight and wanting to be lean. Ugh, it's kind of frustrating but I think I'll have one of the PTs check my bodyfat this weekend just to get on idea of where I'm even at.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that our lifts are really close. But it let's me know that I'm not wussing out too much

A couple of questions on your routine. I noticed you ditched the hacksquats, any special reason? Also, are you doing the close grip bench press with a regular oly bar or with one of the barbells with the fixed weights? I'm noticing that just keeping the bar balanced is a challenge all it's own.

I'm actually struggeling more with regulard deads than with the SLDLs. What is it about them that's making you uncomfortable?

skinny but hopeful
    I ditched the hacks because I wasn't too sure about the form, and I wasn't a big fan, but I should probably work them back in. I'm doing the close grip with a regular bar, but I just realized I'm doing them incorrectly- I'm placing my hands about 8-10 inches apart, I didn't realize they should be almost touching til I looked it up.

as far as sldls go, I have really long legs, so it's hard to keep good form while reaching all the way down, but I think I can attribute that to me just being a b**** about it.

I had some difficulty with deads, but after the first time, when I was doing them completely wrong, i've gotten it right i think, I don't feel it in my lower back anymore(after that one day, i felt like an old man).

Don't worry about fat, once you reach 200, just go on a cut and even if you only drop back to 190 I'm sure you'll be pleased. I guess thats easy for me to say, because I still have a 4(almost 6)pack, my body doesn't hold fat very well (or it's hiding it really well).

Still skinny
    175lb yesterday morning!! I'm very stoked. Considering there are 7 more weeks left until the end of this year reaching 180lb should not be a problem. I'm thinking of either going for 185lb or sticking with 180 and trying to drop the body fat a little once I'm there. I'll see how I feel once I hit 180. :evillaugh

Yesterdays workout was pretty good. I have a hard time getting excited about Shoulder & Arm day. Since they are such small muscle groups I just don't get the same satisfaction I do from Leg or Chest & Back day. Anyway, here it is:

Shoulder:
    BB Military Press: 65x8 85x7
    DB Press: 30x8 35x6
    Lat Raise: 17.5x8 17.5x6
    Tri:
    Close Grip Bench: 95x8 95x7
    French Press: 60x8 60x6
    Bi:
    BB Curl: 60x8 60x6
    Hammer Curl: 20x8 20x6

Pretty good workout overall, slow and steady progress

Oh, and I saw my first curl jockey yesterday. I usually see the same people every morning but I hadn't seen this guy before. I swear the entire time I was there (about 1 hour) all I saw this guy do was different types of bicep curls. Standing, seated, dumbell, barbell, preacher. He had to do at least a good 20 sets, and he spent a good chunck of time checking himself out in the mirrors...hilarious.

Time to eat....

skinny but hopeful
    This is gonna suck... 4 1/2 more weeks to D-day and i haven't worked out in a week and a half. and not only that, but i've been smoking (i'm not a smoker, but i do when my buddy ben is around, and he's been around for that long) and drinking... finals week last week, and a week off this week, so I didn't work out last week, and no gym this week, but I am working outside, doing somewhat strenuous stuff, but I still do feel like ish. can't wait to weigh in next monday!

Still skinny
    Well, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Without going into boring detail this week has been hell. I haven't been in the gym since last week but I should be able to get at least one good workout in this weekend. Right now I'm just trying to prioritize food, sleep and workouts (in that order). I'll be happy if I maintain my weight until next week when things will hopefully return to normal.
    The only workout I got this week was a hike on the weekend. 7 miles through Red Rock canyon on a killer trail, my legs still hurt :evillaugh

skinny but hopeful
    Well, I haven't weighed myself in two weeks, but if I've maintained 172.6 (doubtful), I need to gain 4.36 lbs/week to reach my goal of 190 by christmas. So, since that's better than 1/2 lbs/day, I might need to drop my goal back to 180, which wouldn't be horrible, since that's what it was originally. To do that I'm back around my required 2.5 lbs/week, so that should be attainable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Centric
    After reading some other peoples journals I'm not so sure I want to post the weights I'm using. Just a little intimidating, but I guess everyone starts somewhere. Ugh, maybe a little later.
    You two sure have a lot of enthusiasm! Great stuff so far. FWIW, I started with 30lb dumbbell presses....you're right - everyone starts somewhere!

Still skinny
    jkirkpatrick - thanks for the encouraging words, they come at a good time.

I finally got back to the gym today after a week and a half hiatus. I was traveling to see family for Thanksgiving and then just generally lazy.

As much as I know it's counter productive to my goal of putting on weight I'm going to add some more cardio into my routine. Only about 15-20 minutes at a decent intensity about 3 times a week. One reason is that my energy level has been really low and I need to increase that. Secondly I found out that I have high blood pressure and I'd like to reduce that.

I haven't weighed my self this week but I'm sure I'm still in the low 170's. I should still be able to hit 180lb by the end of the year.
    Time for a sandwich

skinny but hopeful
    Geeze... I didn't make it to the gym this week either. I just started a new semester, and I'm taking 21 credit hours, so I haven't figured out my schedule yet. Anyways, I WILL get to the gym next week, and I'll be lucky if I'm still in the 170's..

Edit: your 1.5 week hiatus isn't that bad... mine will be 3
    Last edited by ksw3153; 12-02-2005 at 06:47 AM.

Still skinny
    21 credits? That's just suicidal crazy. I think the most I ever did was 18 and I wanted to kill myself. Even if you can't get to the gym try to get enough sleep and keep feeding yourself. At least you won't drop too much weight that way.
    Well, a group of college buddies + Vegas + random girl = lots of drinking, no sleep and crappy diet, but a damn good time. That pretty much sums up my weekend. I did manage to get a decent workout in this morning but I'm dragging a$$ now. I plan on lots of sleep tonight and I should be good to go again.
    Time to pretend that I'm working....

skinny but hopeful
    yeah it's pretty crazy, but it's not horrible because i'm used to 17 or 18. The thing that really sucks though is my roommate's schedule is completely opposite mine, so the only days we can work out together are mondays and fridays. I hate working out alone, but I guess I'll have to get used to it.