The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Still skinny

A Little Friendly Competition

Alright, so it's journal time.

So, ksw3153 and I are brand spanking new to the forums. We happen to be in similar situations so we decided to start a little journal in which we can compare results, provide encouragement and perhaps compete a little.
    And of course advice anyone can give along the way will be greatly appreciated.

I'll let ksw3153 post his stats but here's my basic info:
    I'm 27, 6'1" and as of last week 160lb. I started WBB1 last week and dig it so far. I also do about 20-30 minutes of pretty light cardio twice a week. I'm thinking of changing that to some HIIT but haven't really looked into it yet.
    I just started up fitday to get an idea of what my diet is really like. I'm eating 6 small meals a day but they are probably not up to par just yet. I'll get into the details of the diet and my workouts a bit later.

Another thing I need to figure out is a realistic goal weight. I'm thinking 180lb by year end is do-able. Any thoughts?

Alright ksw3153 , you're on....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey, welcome to journal land. Friendly competition is great so good luck with that. 20lbs is still doable if you're aiming for 2lbs per week. Make sure you keep the calories high based on the stats you've indicated thus far, you may have a high metabolism and thus need to eat very well to keep up those calories. Get the fitday going so you can track your total calories. And again, good luck.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

skinny but hopeful
    ok, so as he said, here goes the competetion

I'm 19, 6'4", and i've weighed 165 for over a year. I'm on WBB1 as well, and I just started today actually. I'm eating whenever I don't feel full and/or I think about eating, so I eat about 6 times a day. I just got on fitday today, and for the day I'm looking like this:

cals: 3039.5
    total fat: 143.72g
    protein: 178.65g

I had set a tentative goal of 180, but if he can do 20 lbs, then why cant I?

as of right now, I'm looking for 185 by December 23! (the day my girlfriend comes home, if you don't get it read my intro)

to repeat centric, ALL and ANY advice is greatly appreciated

skinny but hopeful
    oh, i almost forgot....

IT'S ON!!!

skinny but hopeful
    alright, i'm probably coming off as a stalker... only one last post, i promise

just wanted to plug this in: i'm drinking whey protein shakes made w/ whole milk(1-2 a day), and I have creatine monohydrate powder, but i'm not sure if i should add that to one of the shakes every day, or just the days i'm lifting?
    looking to get big(ger) for the girl...

skinny but hopeful
    alright i lied. i made a mistake on fitday and these are the actual numbers:

cals: 3419.1
    total fat: 176.38
    protein: 194.78

skinny but hopeful
    damn it, another mistake:

cals:4361
    fat:204
    protein:286

Still skinny
    Quote Originally Posted by ksw3153

cals:4361
    fat:204
    protein:286
    Damn, I haven't gotten into the detail of my diet yet but that's some serious calories.
    I was reading some threads on creatine and as a result I started mixing about 5g with my morning shake everyday. From everything I read, loading is unnecessary.
    And before I forget...damn straight it's on outnumber

skinny but hopeful
    Quote Originally Posted by Centric
    From everything I read, loading is unnecessary.
    well, i'm proud to report that after day one (day three of WBB1), I can't walk down stairs without using the handrails for considerable help. god, this is fun!

P.S. what's loading?
    Last edited by ksw3153; 10-06-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Still skinny
    Quote Originally Posted by ksw3153
    well, i'm proud to report that after day one (day three of WBB1), I can't walk down stairs without using the handrails for considerable help. god, this is fun!

P.S. what's loading?
    Most directions that come with creatine say to take about 10g daily for about 5 days (load) and then 5g daily after that. But from what people seem to say the loading is a waste and just a way for the manufacturer to sell more.

I know what you mean about the leg workout. Even though it seems short it'll kick yer a$$.
    Are you doing the hack squats in a machine or just with a barbell? I've only done them on a machine but I'm thinking of trying them with the barbell next week.

skinny but hopeful
    i did the hack squats with a barbell, our machine only goes down to about 18 inches off the ground, so I figure the barbell would make me work harder.

also, i'm assuming this info is wrong, but everything i've ever heard about keeping your back healthy goes against doing the Straight Leg DL's, just wondered if there is anything i should consider there...
    Last edited by ksw3153; 10-06-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Yeh alot of people think loading isnt needed and there is nothing wrong with having it in a shake. Good luck to the pair of you keep the cals real high
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

skinny but hopeful
    legs recovered well today, i can actually RUN up stairs again! over all, feeling good, its amazing how much energy you get from eating so much! my stomach definately stretched from all the food yesterday, i couldn't go 3-4 hours today w/out feeling like iw as going to die of starvation, but since I had such a busy day, i couldn't eat as much, but my macros are this for the day:

3556 F 194 C 258 P 195

Still skinny
    ksw, when are you doing your workouts, what days and time of the day? I'm lifting Mon, Wed, Fri at the ass-crack of dawn, usually around 5am.

The workout today was just a little cardio, about 20 minutes on the eliplical thing, and some ab work.
    Tomorrow morning is shoulders & arms and I'm psyched. I haven't really gone all in yet but I have a feeling that'll change tomorrow.

Today was my first full day of using fitday and here are my numbers.
    Calories: 2712
    Fat:83 Carbs:277 Protein:220
    I'm suprised the calories are as low as they are since I felt like I ate all friggin day. I had no idea I had that much protein today. Crank it up!!
    I think I'll switch to whole milk instead of 1% for some more fat & calories.

I weigh myself almost everyday but I think I'll post at least a weekly "official' weight. First one will be tomorrow.

Still skinny
    Shoulders & Arms this morning were great. I can tell I'll be in pain tomorrow :evillaugh

After reading some other peoples journals I'm not so sure I want to post the weights I'm using. Just a little intimidating, but I guess everyone starts somewhere. Ugh, maybe a little later.

My weight this morning was 166.5 which I'm pretty stoked about. So that's 6 pounds in about two weeks. I'll be all sorts of excited if I can keep going at even close to that rate. We shall see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Centric
    After reading some other peoples journals I'm not so sure I want to post the weights I'm using. Just a little intimidating, but I guess everyone starts somewhere. Ugh, maybe a little later.
    You two sure have a lot of enthusiasm! Great stuff so far. FWIW, I started with 30lb dumbbell presses....you're right - everyone starts somewhere!

Still skinny
    jkirkpatrick - thanks for the encouraging words, they come at a good time.

I finally got back to the gym today after a week and a half hiatus. I was traveling to see family for Thanksgiving and then just generally lazy.

As much as I know it's counter productive to my goal of putting on weight I'm going to add some more cardio into my routine. Only about 15-20 minutes at a decent intensity about 3 times a week. One reason is that my energy level has been really low and I need to increase that. Secondly I found out that I have high blood pressure and I'd like to reduce that.

I haven't weighed my self this week but I'm sure I'm still in the low 170's. I should still be able to hit 180lb by the end of the year.
    Time for a sandwich

skinny but hopeful
    Alright, I guess it's about time for me to post my weight, I now weight 165, which is up 2 pounds from last time(monday?), but that was with a missed workout(my sister flew in from NYC), so I think I can kick it up to 3 lb/week, and keep up with this guy ^
    anyways, yesterday was legs, and I didn't warm up before getting started and tweaked my hammy a little bit, but it's feeling much better today, so I'd like to do legs again with tomorrow's workout and "redo" yesterdays'.

skinny but hopeful
    Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier, Centric, but I'm doing my workouts MWF, in the early afternoon (either noon before my 2:00 class, or @ 3, after my class)

kyle

skinny but hopeful
    Weighed in at 166.6 yesterday, and I was thinking yesterday, since I'm going to be about 190 at the end of the year(I jumped up my goal again), how much will my rate of weight gain go down? Will I still be able to pack on 2.5 - 3 pounds a week? I'm sure I won't be able to keep that up for long, but how much will it go down, how fast? Because if I keep gaining even 2 lbs a week until this time next year, I'll weigh over 270! I hope that's not possible, I can't imagine the stretch marks I'd have, although it would be cool.

Still skinny
    Kyle - So I think your rate of weight gain will definitely slow down over time. Law of diminishing returns sort of thing. As you become heavier the amount of calories you need to maintain, let alone gain weight, will increase.

So anyway, I went out of town for a few days and my diet went to hell. I didn't eat all that unhealthy, I just didn't get the calories I should. And because of that my weight went down a tad to 166.5.
    Also, earlier this week I tried going to the gym after work, around 5pm, and I hated it. I'm used to going around 5am when there's really nobody there and i just couldn't deal with all the people in the afternoon. So...today I went back to am workouts. Speaking of today, I'll start posting my actual workouts to keep my motivation going...and today was:

(yes, I know these are some really light weights, give me time...)
    Warm-ups not noted
    LEGS:
    Squat - 105x8 105x8
    Hack Squat - 1pps
    Leg Curl - 90x8 110x8 110x6
    SLDL - 135x8 135x8
    Calf Raise - 60x10 60x10 60x10

Thoughts:
    I read up on squat form a little and i guess I haven't been sitting back enough, I've been going down past parallel but too much weight was on the balls of my feet. I changed that today and the weight felt much easier than before. Time to up it.
    I've been doing the hack squat on a machine but I'll switch to the BB next time around.

I'm thinking about trying some caffeein pills in the morning to help me get workout energy a little quicker but I'm worried they'll surpress my appetite like coffee and soda does for me.

Alright, that was way longer than intended. Time to eat.

Edit: Don't know what I was thinking but Leg day was yesterday, not today.
    Last edited by Centric; 10-20-2005 at 08:57 PM. Reason: I'm a little slow...

skinny but hopeful
    Yeah I figured I wouldn't keep gaining as much weight, I was just hoping for someone that has already done all of this, oh well.

Weighed in at 168 today, gotta jack it up a little bit to make 190 by the end of the year, time to start eating more!

gl with your goals guys, this journal looks like it will be interesting
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Still skinny
    My weekly weigh-in came in at 169lb which means I've put on zero pounds this week. I'm not really surprised though. I think the problem I'm running into is that I'm trying really hard to eat clean and that's causing me to not eat as much as I should. I guess I need to accept that I'll put on some fat if I'm trying to eat over 3,000 calories a day. I've gotten used to eating 5-6 smaller meals a day, now I just need to grow those meals a little.
    The workouts are going well. I can definitly see some strenght gains and a little more muscularity, probably not noticable to anyone else but it's encouraging to me.
    I'm probably not getting as much sleep as I should since I just started studying for the GMAT (MBA admission test). I won't be applying for a while but my work schedule isn't as insane as it usually is right now so I figured I'd knock this thing out. If nothing else it's giving me a reason to sit at Starbucks for hours a day...

Keep in mind that if you're gaining 3lbs/week, a lot of that will be fat that you'll have to shed off later.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee