The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    422

    The average mere weekling is supposed to only have 4 egg yolks per week....

    Well, here is what i think. This recommendation is like the suggested protein for people. It is based upon the minimum person. Ex. the 60 yr old grandma that has a sedementary life and eats only 1000 calories or less. Is it right to presume that the fact that we(bodybuilders) eat A LOT more fat and calories than other people, and thus cholesterol would have less of an effect on us. I mean some of us are eating 4-5000 cals, so shouldnt eating like 4 whole eggs a day have much less of an effect on us therefore? I just recently began to eat the yolk, and it doesnt even have that much saturated fat, only 1.5g for an egg out of 5. Thats not too bad. What do you guys think?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    mmm... discipline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Eat many yokes. Eat many eggs. Exercise much. Moniter health. You'll be fine.

    EDIT: egg yolks are mostly good fat, especially if you get organic ones. Of course, don't go crazy.
    Last edited by Spartan936; 10-06-2005 at 11:12 AM.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    1,125
    Chicken is the enemy. You must find ways to defeat the enemy in it's most vulnerable state. i.e. The Egg
    Die devil BIRD!

  5. #4
    Big D Esso..
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    28
    Too Much eggs gives me gas..

  6. #5
    Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the gym, Québec
    Posts
    952
    I eat about 3-4 whole eggs a day and I don't think (and so do studies) that there is a problem with that. If you are really worried, just get your cholesterol checked every month.
    Even if eggs would raise cholesterol, a lot of things you probably eat and the fact that you exercise would go beyond that effect.

  7. #6
    Senior Member AzBboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    636
    I've read articles here and on bb.com sayin go 'head and eat those yolks, in fact, if you don't, your robbing yourself of vitamines a,d,e and protein. I eat 5 whole eggs every morning for breakfast with my oats, cus I aint scurrrrrr. The yolk makes the egg, IMO.

  8. #7
    !!! TTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Ex. the 60 yr old grandma that has a sedementary life and eats only 1000 calories or less.
    LMAO!! She's not dead yet....

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    LMAO!! She's not dead yet....
    If she can only eat 4 eggs a week, she might as well be.

  10. #9
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Cholestoral is super genetic, but egg yolks in the morning eaten in a diet rich with plenty of whole grains (they bind to the 'bad' cholestoral in your blood stream, and have been actually proven to lower cholestoral, hence those heart symbols on cheerios boxes) should not hurt you. I don't eat anything white anymore except for after workout, I eat whole everything, eat brown rice with stir fry, whole wheat pasta spaghetti, whole wheat bread, oatmeal etc, fry chicken in canola oil (don't deep fry just simmer) and bread it with whole wheat flour, its delicious.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  11. #10
    Not Done Yet ShockBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    Cholestoral is super genetic, but egg yolks in the morning eaten in a diet rich with plenty of whole grains (they bind to the 'bad' cholestoral in your blood stream, and have been actually proven to lower cholestoral, hence those heart symbols on cheerios boxes) should not hurt you. I don't eat anything white anymore except for after workout, I eat whole everything, eat brown rice with stir fry, whole wheat pasta spaghetti, whole wheat bread, oatmeal etc, fry chicken in canola oil (don't deep fry just simmer) and bread it with whole wheat flour, its delicious.
    I can't digest whole wheat.

    And high chloresterol runs in my family.

    So... rarely yolks for me.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

    Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

    Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3


    Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

  12. #11
    Not Done Yet ShockBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,265
    One of my goals when I started was to lower chloresterol to less than 300 per day. There is no room for yolk in there. I just hard boil them and sadly chuck the center.

    I just haven't been able to buy into the school of thought that bodybuilding, even in it's infancy stages (me!), trumps such things as healthy chloresterol intake levels.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 10-07-2005 at 08:20 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

    Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

    Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3


    Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    422
    Yea, sorry about that guys. I tend to use sedimentary wrong a lot. I mean just not active, but im glad i gave you some laughs. I dont really like the yolks when their hardboiled, but i dont notice it as much when their fried in a pan. Now when i say fried, i mean the egg white and yolk themselves. No butter or nothing at all added. Kinda sucks when it sticks to the pan, but its like oats i guess. People always chastize me for not adding butter or sugar to what i eat. Then i look at them, and they either have high bodyweight, or no muscle. I just laugh to myself, and am glad i dont think like they do. Hey ive never tried having all egg whites fried, or microwaving them. How do you guys go about doing that if you just want some protein? Is it 3 minutes in the microwave, or if you fry it does it go right without the yolk?

    Rick

  14. #13
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,950
    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Yea, sorry about that guys. I tend to use sedimentary wrong a lot. I mean just not active, but im glad i gave you some laughs. I dont really like the yolks when their hardboiled, but i dont notice it as much when their fried in a pan. Now when i say fried, i mean the egg white and yolk themselves. No butter or nothing at all added. Kinda sucks when it sticks to the pan, but its like oats i guess. People always chastize me for not adding butter or sugar to what i eat. Then i look at them, and they either have high bodyweight, or no muscle. I just laugh to myself, and am glad i dont think like they do. Hey ive never tried having all egg whites fried, or microwaving them. How do you guys go about doing that if you just want some protein? Is it 3 minutes in the microwave, or if you fry it does it go right without the yolk?

    Rick

    It's not that great.... the yolk adds a lot of flavor. I meen, it's not gonna be gross or anything, just kinda blah.

  15. #14
    Senior Member thajeepster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    406
    dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol. Cholesterol is produced by the liver, the stuff from the food you eat usually passes through. I wouldnt eat 12 whole eggs a day or anything. But if your young, and not in any risk of a heart attack, a few here and there isnt going to kill anyone.

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    185
    Eggs are great! I usually eat about 6 a day.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •