The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Gaining muscle during time off? Anybody else?

Hi guys, this is my first post here but I have been reading for a couple years.

My question is: Does anybody else gain muscle here when they stop lifting weights? I have basically been lifting nonstop for the past 6 years. I don't think I am overtraining because I don't go every day and I wait until my muscles are no longer sore every time that I lift again and I am making gains. During this time I stopped once for 2 months during a winter break from school and I gained a lot of muscle. I got pretty big stretch marks on the front/ventral side of my armpits ('bout 7") and gained a lot of muscle. I recently started a new job and I have been working so much that I have not been able to get to the gym for a while. It has been about a month but I swear that I am gaining more muscle than I was when I was lifting. I am getting stretch marks on the back/dorsal side of my armpits and I look and feel bigger. The veins in my biceps are becoming more visible, my biceps are getting bigger, etc.

I am tempted to just wait this one out and see how long I keep gaining. Anybody else gain on time off, and how much time do you take off?

Thanks guys,
    Rick

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

oh so you grow outside the gym
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    Forgot to add, my muscles started feeling sore after about 3 weeks and they are staying sore. Not an intense soreness like after heavy squats but a general body soreness that is present in all of my muscles and kind of a tightness.

um one thing i'll add so you know soreness is not an indicator that you're not progressing
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    oh so you grow outside the gym

Well everybody does right?

But is this just some weird "condition" or an indication that I have been seriously overtraining and my body is loving the chance to recover?

What were you eating habits when you went to the gym and what are they like now? Only thing I can think of is since you are doing less exercise, you are in more of a caloric surplus and therefore are growing. Were you gaining weight when you were training or were you staying at the same weight?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC097
    What were you eating habits when you went to the gym and what are they like now? Only thing I can think of is since you are doing less exercise, you are in more of a caloric surplus and therefore are growing. Were you gaining weight when you were training or were you staying at the same weight?
    I try to eat as much as I can when I am lifting, now I usually just eat until I am full. I am definately eating less now, but I don't keep track of calories so I don't really know how much.

I was gaining weight when training as well, but it has slowed to maybe 1/2 - 1 pound a month.

3:16
    so you been training for 6 years and gaining say a pound a month even thouh slowed recently.

so you have gained 72 pound. yet when you stop training you gain even more muscle?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by body
    so you been training for 6 years and gaining say a pound a month even thouh slowed recently.

so you have gained 72 pound. yet when you stop training you gain even more muscle?

I have went from 115 to 195, so actually I have gained 80 pounds, guess that is a little more than a pound a month over the average. I was pretty scrawny when I started lifting.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    What kind of job do you do? (desk work, manual labour...)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    What kind of job do you do? (desk work, manual labour...)
    Oil field service, directional downhole navigation. I guess it would qualify as a desk job that involved very limited labor.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyj
    Oil field service, directional downhole navigation. I guess it would qualify as a desk job that involved very limited labor.

I was thinking that if you did manual labour that might account for the muscle gain, but now I'm wondering. Are you SURE this is muscle you are gaining. Food alone won't do that. Excess food is stored as fat with maybe a little going to build up muscle. Honestly I can't see how you are gaining a lot of muscle without lifting, unless your "limited labour" involves lifting some heavy stuff.

heh, sounds to me like you're losing weight. Stretch marks + vascularity is a dead give away.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    heh, sounds to me like you're losing weight. Stretch marks + vascularity is a dead give away.
    Very good point.

OP: You're obviously not weighing yourself. It's very plausible that you're dropping a little weight, getting stretch marks, vascularity, and increasing muscular definition, all of which is making you think you're gaining weight. Get a scale and monitor, and you'll know for sure.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Very good point.

OP: You're obviously not weighing yourself. It's very plausible that you're dropping a little weight, getting stretch marks, vascularity, and increasing muscular definition, all of which is making you think you're gaining weight. Get a scale and monitor, and you'll know for sure.

Not very often, I was getting the above three and am looking much bigger, so just assumed. I don't have a scale but I will have to check that out.

Why would you get stretch marks from loosing weight though?

ETA - never said I was gaining weight during the time off, only muscle. Are you saying that I could be loosing muscle as well, or just some fat around the muscle, or all of the above?
    Last edited by rickyj; 10-08-2005 at 11:18 PM.

You are not gaining muscle during your entire break. You probably do need better recovery while training.
    Forgot to add, my muscles started feeling sore after about 3 weeks and they are staying sore. Not an intense soreness like after heavy squats but a general body soreness that is present in all of my muscles and kind of a tightness.
    You get sore during your breaks because your body is losing flexibility and circulation. I always get aches and pains when I take time off.

hey man, i posted something about this myself a month ago or so (maybe in another forum, i don't remember)... i stopped lifting for a month or so and i noticed big improvements in my body... my weight remained stable, but i looked bigger... i don't what it may be

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-X
    but i looked bigger... i don't what it may be
    LOOKED or was actaully bigger?

did you use tape measure?
    where you holding water etc?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

i think i just looked bigger, since i definately had a lower bodyfat and probably the big appearance was due to me being more ripped

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    You are not gaining muscle during your entire break. You probably do need better recovery while training.
    You get sore during your breaks because your body is losing flexibility and circulation. I always get aches and pains when I take time off.
    Definately getting tight, better start stretching more. Circulation losses occur that quickly as well?

Wannabebig Member
    So it sounds like the general consensus is that I am loosing weight, muscle, circulation and flexibility but I am looking better. Hmmm....sounds plausable - and I only infrequently weigh or measure myself - everything is based only upon the weight I am lifting and the way I look.

Have to think about that for a while, thanks guys.

If you could find a way to gain muscle without physical activty, you'd be a very, very rich man....
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyj
    Why would you get stretch marks from loosing weight though?
    you just do... I dunno, your body gets smaller so your skin has stretch marks cuz it used to be spread out but now it's not... I dunno, I've got friends who used to be fat that lost weight and have them.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    If you could find a way to gain muscle without physical activty, you'd be a very, very rich man....
    The only time you ever EVER gain muscle is during periods of no physical activity. I am physically active, I was just thinking that there may have been a lasting effect from my earlier work.

Let us all pray that a "no physical activity muscle gain" pill ever happens - I like being "ripped" and I don't want other people to be there unless they have put the unbelievable amount of work that I have into it. The only reason that it is special is because there are still fat people walking around.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    you just do... I dunno, your body gets smaller so your skin has stretch marks cuz it used to be spread out but now it's not... I dunno, I've got friends who used to be fat that lost weight and have them.
    I looked up a lot of information on stretch marks and they are definately caused by gaining weight. Like it would seem they are from the skin stretching beyond it's elastic limit and "tearing". They may be there after the skin has been stretched - but they are there only because of the initial stretching. If for any reason the skin is stretched that far it will tear.

That makes more sense than getting them during weight loss - I know that after a while of heavy lifting that if I am hitting my chest and arms a lot then I will start to bruise underneath my arms and a little bit on the front of my chest. Not bad bruising just a little bit of purple/yellow/brown. I can only imagine that this is from the skin being stretched just a little bit to far, so that is when I lay back a little bit now.