The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

how long to see big results?

i'm 6'3", 225 lbs. 32 male. i have a pretty decent pot belly. no majorly huge muscles. i think i'm a 42 or 44 reg/tall. waist size is 36ish.

i'm currently fixing my diet, which has been ruined for years with late night eating.

i'm interested in losing the belly, and bulking up the arms, chest, and back.

my legs are decent. i'm not looking to bulk them much, as they will receive workout from much future bikeriding. (20 mi./day)

my job is handyman, so i'm sorta flexible and mobile and warmed up most of the day. i wouldn't consider myself a desk man.

where do i begin with upper bodybuilding?

my plan is to work out easy, the first 4 weeks, just to get the blood flowing, and avoid the day after pain.

after the month of graduall warming up, i wanna lift much harder.

my questions are:

1- would YOU see pretty decent results in 5 months time?
    (1st month easy, 4 months hard training)
    smaller belly? bigger/fuller chest/arms?

2-should i "plan" on losing a certain amount of weight each week (like 2-4 lbs)?,, or should i just do the bikeriding, do the bodybuilding, fix the diet, and the natural will work itself out?

thanks for any help, tips, and motivation.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1 you'll see good results in 5 months if you train hard and watch your diet and start training hard now not after the first month

2 just do it don't worry about the scale the mirror is better in my opinion
    upper chest freak

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with Hot Shot. You'll see tremendous results the first 5 months. In fact, if you stick to a strict regimine, you may be a new person in 5 months. When I first started bodybuilding, I saw immediate changes the first 3 months, and when I added a supplementation regimine, I got better results as well. I had muscles I didn't know existed.

Also, don't plan on losing a certain amount of weight for a certain time. All this does is add pressure to your already difficult change in lifestyle. If you don't lose enough you'll be dissappointed. If you lose too much you'll get over confident, which is your enemy in any physique altering/transformation quest.

Just stick to strict regimine and routine EVERY day and you'll see results in no time. Remember, you can't diet and exercise "a few days a week". It's all the days put together that add up to success.

Good Luck itsjustmejim!

Wannabebig Member

thanks for the vote of confidence.

thanks for the help and motivation....

i guess i wont go after a losing a certain amount of weight each week. i just thought i'd lose some naturally from the fixed up diet, but then on the other hand i may be gaining some muscle weight, which may or may not be a significient amount, to show up on the scale.

i may chart my weight daily, just for future reference, but not to chase after dream numbers of losing weight lbs, and gaining muscle lbs.

concerning whey protein: how's this for a plan..................
    a shake after waking, to fill body from no food all night.
    a shake half hour before workout.
    a shake right after workout.
    a shake before bed, to help muscles during the night.

also, please help me with the poundage to be added, say weekly?
    for example, i had no pain from doing 3 sets, 10 reps, 10lbs, of dumbbell curls for bicepts. (sorta testing last week)

i wanna be able to last for the long haul, and not kill myself, and get injuries, or pain.

for those 10lbs, 10 reps, 3 sets- should i add, say 2.5 lbs to that, every week? or every 2 weeks?

(actually, i expect to work muscles 2 sessions per week)

so, every 4 sessions: i add 2.5 lbs? is this realistic, or pushing too much? its been a long time since i messed with weights, and i'm not sure what i can do, and setting real goals.

okay, thanks again for any help and info on the whey protein shakes, and the poundage/percent increases.......

sorry bro, just checking to see if my account still worked.

Wannabebig Member
    With regard to you protein shake plan, I think that's a bit too much. There's nothing better for workout energy than a whole food meal. 4 shakes a day is very close to a liquid diet, and if you're looking to put on mass you can't drink shakes all day. I've found that 2 shakes a day and 3 to 4 whole food meals supply my body with just the right ratio of protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, antioxidants, blah, blah, blah. I drink my first protein shake after my cardio workout in the morning. I love to drink ISOPURE shakes. Then my next and final one is after my workout, which is either in the afternoon or evening. SHOULD I not be able to get another meal in I keep a box of MyoPlex around just for emergencies b/c they come in those handy packets. Either way, I try to get 4 to 5 meals a day and each yeild 30 to 50 grams of protein.

Wannabebig Member
    Forgot to finish my message...

ANYWAY, when it comes to training and adding poundages, lift whats comfortable for you and what gives you a good "pump" in you muscles. When you feel a positive "burn" in your muscles you know you're doing good and you're lifting the right amount of weight. When you hear crunching, cracking, and squishing you know you're doing something wrong. You shouldn't feel discomfort when lifting. Also, you'll know when you need to add poundages. When the weight you're lifting has become easier than before to lift you know you've come past that current poundage and it's time to add a little more to make it more challenging. Hence the name, "Resistance Exercise". Lift what challenges you and what makes you feel good. Don't worry about getting scientific with your training yet. Just lift and have fun and watch your body change (for the better!) before your eyes!

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    You change all the time, but the changes will be so minute that you won't really notice them.

Each month, I take digital pix to gauge progress. It's amazing how much I have changed this year.

It's a sculpting process. It takes time. There is no quick fix. Become 'friends' with your routine and look towards the long haul. It's totally worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

I would say over the course of 5-6 months you could seriously dramatically change your physique. If your dedicated with your diet and training etc. Takes a lot of discipline but thats the name of the game.

Dedication + Consistency = Results..

If you really stick with the plan within the 5 months timeframe, there are gonna be people that will remark how you have changed. Some will freak especially if your change is radical.

The people who don't see you for a long time are a good barometer of the effect you make because they will tell you.