The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

aerobic v. anaerobic

i'm having a little bit of trouble understanding when something changes from anaerobic to aerobic. i know that if i am just in the gym doing squats, i am doing anaerobic. if i go for a jog, i'm doing aerobic. what if i'm doing 15 minutes of intense boxing, or 15 minutes of playing w/ my 60lbs sandbag doing 'lifts' with it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here's a rule of thumb: If you can do it for more than two minutes straight, it's aerobic.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

good stuff. thanks

is there a minimum amount of time i should aim for if just doing the aforementioned activities solely for gpp, not worried about weight loss or anything

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Using the search function Vs. Not using the search function
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Basically the harder you are breathing during the exercise the more aerobic it becomes.
    So I suppose how aerobic something is depends on the particular exercise also.
    What is gpp?

But personally for weightlifting I think of anything over 20 reps or so as aerobic endurance.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Basically, an aerobic exercise is one which (1) lasts long enough to deplete the supply of glycogen in your muscles--after which your body will start burning it's fat stores to produce additional glygocoen--but that is (2) also done at a rate at which your heart can still supply adequate oxygen such that the blood is able to absorb lactate faster than the muscle cells are producing it.

So when you hear endurance athletes talk about "staying aerobic" they mean that their heart is able to keep up with the demand such that their muscles stay below the lactate threshold.

--Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Using the search function Vs. Not using the search function
    good input, you're a credit to the board. i did search, but when you find conflicting info, like:

"Aerobic exercise is exercise that involves vigorous and continuous physical activity for at least 20 minutes.
    Some examples include swimming and roller-skating,"

in one thread, then mixmasternash (whom i *know* knows his stuff) tells me, in this thread, anything over two minutes. so, due to conflicting info, sometimes it is easier to post your specific circumstances.
    Last edited by jazer80; 10-11-2005 at 07:56 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    in one thread, then mixmasternash (whom i *know* knows his stuff) tells me, in this thread, anything over two minutes. so, due to conflicting info, sometimes it is easier to post your specific circumstances.
    It's just a rule of thumb, not a definition, meaning that anything your average person does continuously for 2 minutes is probably aerobic.

Now, the variance in aerobic/anaerobic threshold is HUGE. Lance armstrong has an incredible threshold and can do much more difficult things aerobically AND do anaerobic things for much longer.

High output anaerobic activity for time is probably the most difficult method of exercise and it is rarely performed by your average gym goer.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    good input, you're a credit to the board. i did search, but when you find conflicting info, like:

"Aerobic exercise is exercise that involves vigorous and continuous physical activity for at least 20 minutes.
    Some examples include swimming and roller-skating,"

That's the difference between exercise and energy systems.

Exercise meant to target the aerobic system is generally in the range of 20-30 minutes+.

The anaerobic energy systems (phosphagen and glycogen-lactic acid) can only sustain activity for approx. 2 minutes (upper limit). So anything that takes longer must use the aerobic energy system to generate energy. That doesn't mean that anything over 2 minutes is a good aerobic exercise. It just means that you're definitely using the aerobic energy system.