Thread: Bicep Curl with loose wrist?

Bicep Curl with loose wrist?

Alright, so recently my friend told me that by allowing your wrist to sort of hang down while holding the dumbbell would isolate your bicep. I tried it and found my wrist hurting and my bicep feeling the same.

So, basically, my question is, does letting the hand hang down (having a loose wrist) actually isolate the bicep or is it just something stupid?

What you talkin 'bout Willis?
    THESE?

Why would you want to 'isolate' your bicep? Milk every stabilizer and assist muscle you can with every rep of every set.

If you want to isolate the bicep, truly isolate, then use one of the arm curl machines. I can do 75 per arm on that thing (which is more than I can BB curl with both) and it doesn't even make anything but the bicep tired.

It won't do anything for you, though. Well, it certainly didn't for me.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

That sounds pretty stupid. All you'll accomplish is damaging your wrist. Just stick to regular bicep curls.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    That's a bunch of nonsense. You want to isolate the bicept than make the whole arm tight while you are doing the curl. Squeeze the dumbell as hard as you can.

IMO, that would place part of the emphasis on the forearm, and less on the bicep - I am speaking from experience - my forearms are very strong relative to my biceps (alot of masturbating will tend to do that ), and I never realized that that was what I was doing - I now only do rows, chins, pull-ups, etc. , and they hit my biceps just fine, and will put you in a position where you can't help but hammer your biceps.

Wannabebig Member
    if you continue using a loose wrist, not only will you get sore wrists after a while.. you will probably start getting that "shin splint" type pain running up the side of your forearm.

you want to try to curl your wrists up as far as you can when you do bicep curls to prevent such aforementioned pain... especially on preacher curls.

ur friends a moron
    delete this account

mmmmm tendonitis
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by KobeWillVindic8
    ...you want to try to curl your wrists up as far as you can when you do bicep curls to prevent such aforementioned pain... especially on preacher curls.
    Um, not to be nosey about your form, but you should not be moving the wrist at all during bicep curls of ANY form. It is a bicep curl, not a wrist curl...unless you are doing cheat reps. The wrist should stay straight and locked at all times.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

I had someone recommend these to me once.
    I thought "wow these are great- I'd hate for those pesky forearms to grow too!"
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

What?
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

I remember reading in one of the magazines about someone who recommended doing curls with the loose wrist, but I've only ever seen someone do it once, some huge guy with tremendous arms did em on incline curls at Gold's Venice. Naturally, cause he was doing em, I tried em, and yup, sure enough, next day, my forearms were sore as hell and nothing on my biceps. Go figure.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    Um, not to be nosey about your form, but you should not be moving the wrist at all during bicep curls of ANY form. It is a bicep curl, not a wrist curl...unless you are doing cheat reps. The wrist should stay straight and locked at all times.
    i don't think you are understanding what i am saying.

it sometimes alleviates forearm pain when doing movements such as standing curls or preacher curls when you keep your wrists curled up on the entire concentric portion of the curl, rather than letting them hang limp.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Why would you want to 'isolate' your bicep? Milk every stabilizer and assist muscle you can with every rep of every set.

If you want to isolate the bicep, truly isolate, then use one of the arm curl machines. I can do 75 per arm on that thing (which is more than I can BB curl with both) and it doesn't even make anything but the bicep tired.

It won't do anything for you, though. Well, it certainly didn't for me.
    ++ My thoughts on the matter exactly. You're setting yourself up for wrist disaster.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Banned
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by KobeWillVindic8
    i don't think you are understanding what i am saying.

it sometimes alleviates forearm pain when doing movements such as standing curls or preacher curls when you keep your wrists curled up on the entire concentric portion of the curl, rather than letting them hang limp.
    I see. I guess as long as there is no extra movement, and the peson is happy with how it feels...whatever it takes.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs