Thread: Benching Problem

Benching Problem

Well heres my problem. I have long arms so its very hard to touch my chest with the bar but I still try. However when I go with my heavy sets it really kills my left shoulder when I try to touch my chest. Should I still keep tryin to touch my chest or should I come down to wear it doesnt hurt my shoulder (I can comfortably come down to the point were I make like a 90degree angle with my arms and sometimes a little lower then that.)

Make sure you're bringing the bar to your lower pecs/upper abs, not to the middle of your chest. It makes a big difference as far as stress on your shoulders is concerned

its not absolutely necessary to touch your chest. going down until the back of your arms are parallel to the floor is sufficient. no sense in ****ing up your rotators. it doesn't matter unless you're going to be entering a pl contest.
    Last edited by RBB; 10-10-2005 at 02:56 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Of course, developing rotator cuff strength and functional flexibility should be your #1 priority, but you should look at your technique. IMHO, if you are not tucking your elbows when you bench, you are just asking for rotator cuff issues. This has been discussed and debated many times already - I've saved you the impossible task of trying to find them by a search...

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68003

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63891

Yea I'm 6'4 so I've got long ass arms, but if you do rotator cuff excersises and tuck your elbows in you should be fine.

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    Yea I'm 6'4 so I've got long ass arms, but if you do rotator cuff excersises and tuck your elbows in you should be fine.
    tucking my elbows in is easier for me when using a closer rather than wider grip. anyone else run into this, or am i a freak as always?
    always hungry...

K thx guys ill keep tryin to find a way to touch my chest butim happy to hear the if you just go parallel to floor its good enough. What do you guys mean by tucking in elbows??

Quote Originally Posted by YungLifter
    What do you guys mean by tucking in elbows??

(I'm sick & injured and can't sleep, so I figured I take these lovely photos to illustrate...) The photo on the left shows elbows out. The photo on the right shows elbows in ("tucked"). An elbows-out benching style will put a lot more stress on the pec-delt tie-in and the muscles of the rotator cuff. An elbows-in style will shift emphasis to your triceps.

Wannabebig Member

Bench

Yunglifter;
    How are you doing, I am new here.
    You said you have long arms, which means your distance is greater then some, try benching wider with less weight, you may have too take it easy on the heavy stuff or try also want Sensei is showing you.

Butch

STOP BEING SO POLITE......what butch says is fairly true if you use a wider grip youre rom will decrease and put more emphasis on youre pecs but you should be able to use more weight as soon as you get used to the grip(it feels kinda akward so be warned).

Quote Originally Posted by squat it all!
    tucking my elbows in is easier for me when using a closer rather than wider grip. anyone else run into this, or am i a freak as always?
    It is naturally much easier to use elbows out on a wide grip. There are significant torque issues for the wrists and elbows trying to keep elbows in with a wide grip.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    It is naturally much easier to use elbows out on a wide grip. There are significant torque issues for the wrists and elbows trying to keep elbows in with a wide grip.
    Unless your wide grip is VERY wide and you are benching pretty low to your chest, there should not be that much torque on the wrists and elbows. Just like any new thing in the gym, you need to allow time to adjust.

I disagree w/ keeping elbows tucked during the bench - the bench is done to emphasize the pecs, which are best hit when elbows are flared. If you want to work on your triceps, do close-grips and dips w/. body fairly straight - if you want to hit your chest, bench w/ elbows out.

That would put quite a lot more emphasis on the Tris.
    I honestly don't see the point though, I already do various tricep exercises. The benchpress is meant to get my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba booey
    I disagree w/ keeping elbows tucked during the bench - the bench is done to emphasize the pecs, which are best hit when elbows are flared. If you want to work on your triceps, do close-grips and dips w/. body fairly straight - if you want to hit your chest, bench w/ elbows out.
    Elbows in or out, you're still going to be hitting your chest...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Elbows in or out, you're still going to be hitting your chest...
    Agreed, but elbows out will emphasize the pecs more so than elbows tucked in, IMO.