The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Tips on getting Heavy DB's up on 1st rep of bench press?

Hey guys,
    I have this problem where getting dumbbells up on the first rep of bench press is getting increasily more difficult as I progress in weight.

I can lift the weights once they are up.. but just getting them up without a spotter is getting really hard.

I bench 125lb dumbbells for 8 reps. Obviously, if I can do 8 comfortable reps, then it's not too heavy for me.

The only problem is, it's so difficult to get them up for the very first time because you are in such a biomechanically weak position with 2 separate weights pinned to your body.

Do you guys have any tips for me in getting the dumbbells up for the first time easier with heavy weights (heavy to me, at least)?

Somebody needs to invent a rack for dumbbell bench press...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

are you talking about flat bench, or incline? If you're talking incline, then there really is no safe way to bring real big weight up without a spotter, and this is one of the reasons why I don't do inclines anymore. If you're talking about flat bench, and you're having a hard time bringing up 250, then you should prob work on deadlifting, or upright rows, to strengthen the muscles involved with lifting the weight off of the floor. If you're having trouble with the laying back part, then you need weighted ab work. The way I lift mine is to upright row the weight up to my chest, then sit down on the edge of the bench with the weights resting on my thighs. Then I roll back with the weights lowering my torso with my abs. It's more of a kinetic trick than anything. A very solid rule that I work with is that if I can't manipulate the weight into a lifting position safely, then I wait to use that weight until I've done the work necessary on the other body parts to make me strong enough to do so.

DJ
    Last edited by djreef; 10-12-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Actually, they have racks for dumbbells.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Incline I put them on my thighs and kick them one at a time.....very easy and very safe...
    Flat bench I dont know I only do barbell....I cant imagine doing 150Lb db benches

You safely kick 125lb dumbells up to incline?

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    You safely kick 125lb dumbells up to incline?

DJ
    I use 110lbs and yes its easy.

Ok.

Dj

i deadlift it from the ground and kinda toss it up and eventually lock out it out using my shoulders... then i slowly sit down, and lay back.

when im done, i place the db's on the ground, dont try and sit back up with heavy db's in hand.

spotters are useful in this exercise. you curl it with the spotter helping extending your arm and/or lifting the weight onto your hands til you lock them out.

Who deleted my post?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

are you going low enough when you perform the lift? I've seen people who only stop at halfway, they can push a considerably higher amount of weight though. But they can't get it into position very efficiently.

maybe your ROM has been neglected. If you aren't bringing those bad boys all the way down to starting position, then you're going to have a weak point at the bottom of your lift which will always handicap your starting point. I thought one of th main purposes to use DBs on bench press was to increase the ROM and work those stabalizers better?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

He doesn't have trouble with the pressing part, he has trouble with the getting the weight into position part (ie from the floor to the bench).

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    He doesn't have trouble with the pressing part, he has trouble with the getting the weight into position part (ie from the floor to the bench).

DJ
    So why did he say this: "I have this problem where getting dumbbells up on the first rep of bench press is getting increasily more difficult as I progress in weight." ? I assume the "first rep" is the one that happens when you lay down and press the dbs up while they are down in your armpits (flat bench press).
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Sounds to me like he can roll them back into setup, but can't complete the first press without help. In which case, I doubt he's using full ROM.

I also think that someone strong enough to use a full ROM with 125s would have enough experience to diagnose and work around this problem without needing to post on an internet board.

That said, move down to 105's or whatever and use a full ROM. By the time you build back up to 125s, you won't have this problem.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Well, crap then, maybe I misread it.

DJ

Wannabebig Member
    no.. the problem is not getting the weights to the bench.

i deadlift them, and place them on my thighs.. then sometimes i have trouble from the prone position getting them up.

I do a pretty full ROM.. I admittedly have pretty jacked up shoulders.. but I do go a little bit past 90 degrees.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my shoulders are a little weak in comparison to my chest, as I previously did not work them as hard as my chest... Because at the very bottom of the lift, the shoulders come into play quite a bit, if i'm not mistaken.

I also think that someone strong enough to use a full ROM with 125s would have enough experience to diagnose and work around this problem without needing to post on an internet board.
    wow.. talk about an elitist post. why do you even post on this message board if you are so great and wise, my friend? shouldn't you be out writing a dissertation on how awesome you are?

this is a forum. forums are meant for discussion and Q&A. Deal with it.

squat it all!
    i'm confused... are your shoulders "admittedly jacked up" or are they "a little weak in comparison to my chest"? do you mean jacked up = f@#$% up?
    Last edited by squat it all!; 10-12-2005 at 02:49 PM.
    always hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by KobeWillVindic8
    )Somebody needs to invent a rack for dumbbell bench press...
    I have a very rough design laid out for one, but I haven't gotten around to any prototypes yet..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Who deleted my post?
    If you posted something, it didn't take. No one deleted anything in this thread so far.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I agree w/ the others - if you can't get the db's from your chest/shoulders to the locked out or nearly locked out position, then they are too heavy. When I do db flat bench, for better or worse, I bring the db's down until they lightly touch my outer chest - if you can't do that, they are too heavy.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squat it all!
    i'm confused... are your shoulders "admittedly jacked up" or are they "a little weak in comparison to my chest"? do you mean jacked up = f@#$% up?
    the last one. i have had rotator cuff injuries in the past which kept me from hitting my shoulders too hard.

db bench doesn't seem to hit the shoulders too hard, so i got away with it for a while.

i am thinking that maybe now, it is catching up to me.

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeWillVindic8
    the last one. i have had rotator cuff injuries in the past which kept me from hitting my shoulders too hard.

db bench doesn't seem to hit the shoulders too hard, so i got away with it for a while.

i am thinking that maybe now, it is catching up to me.

gotcha. for me, DB's are easier on my rotator cuffs than BB's most of the time.
    always hungry...

I agree with the full ROM argument. I used to have this problem with DBs, but then I started focusing on bringing the weights right down. Now I no longer have this problem and I push considerably more weight than when I did.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

always hungry
    employ 2 people as sort of 'caddies'