The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bulking Emergency

early this month, i decided to try out a high-carb low-fat bulking diet, and switched from my isocaloric bulking diet. i started off at 56.5kg, about 18.4%BF (so the callipers say). 42 days later, i'm at 57.5kg and about 19.82%.

i've already been having a hard time putting on weight (am currently eating 2900 cals on lifting days) and now calculations say i put on about 1kg of fat.

WHAT THE.

this is my first time bulking and i need urgent advice on what to do. i have 3 more weeks of bulking to go before i start cutting and i'm wondering whether i should switch to high-fat low-carbs instead.
    Last edited by dissipate; 10-15-2005 at 07:47 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i think low fat is a bad idea any way as good fats help with alot of things including testosterone boost. and if you putting on to much fat and not muscle then to me that means ure eating to much
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Hey, maybe your not eating enough? There is a article here by Chris Mason about putting on 15 pounds in one month that suggests eating 25 calories per pound of body weight, you should check it out, its very good and got alot of feed back. I think Hatred is going to follow it for a month.

Here is a link to another article which I enjoyed about bulking, it has some really good tips, among them is a suggestion eat more saturated fats.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=781428

John Berardi also has a program called 'Massive Eating Reloaded' which is very interesting. There is an article about it on this page.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm
    Last edited by Owen; 10-15-2005 at 10:25 AM.

mmm... discipline
    Are callipers really that accurate? Maybe the measurements off?

I don't have the experience to make a suggestion, but at any rate I think many of the more experienced people here will recommend using more fats and protein for extra calories. lol, just the other day I was breezing through an Arnold book, and he layed out what he thought the most important food groups were. In order he listed: 1.dairy products, 2. meat, 3. fruits and veggies, 4. fats and oils, 5. grains and sweets. I was suprised to read this from Arnold.

You'll get there dissipate!

*waits for Built to post*
    Last edited by Spartan936; 10-15-2005 at 11:56 AM.

by that it means u havnt put on hardly any muscle which i could only see happening if you were not training or like i said to many cals
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    early this month, i decided to try out a high-carb low-fat bulking diet, and switched from my isocaloric bulking diet. i started off at 56.5kg, about 18.4%BF (so the callipers say). 42 days later, i'm at 57.5kg and about 19.82%.

i've already been having a hard time putting on weight (am currently eating 2900 cals on lifting days) and now calculations say i put on about 1kg of fat.

WHAT THE.

this is my first time bulking and i need urgent advice on what to do. i have 3 more weeks of bulking to go before i start cutting and i'm wondering whether i should switch to high-fat low-carbs instead.

You switched to a high carb diet and you are wondering why you put on fat?

Is this not kind of obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    You switched to a high carb diet and you are wondering why you put on fat?

Is this not kind of obvious?
    could you explain this one to me? Carbs don't make you gain fat, excess cals. do. Yeah when you go from low to high carbs, you're going to gain water weight and possibly look a little bloated, but you can't pin point that for the reason of gaining fat.

thanks for the replies guys.

low fat means 20% total calories and not like 10g or something. and taking in only a small amount of fat while having lots of carbs makes sense to me while bulking.

hill, if i'm gaining a whole lot of fat and very little muscle, i'm eating too much - yes i agree with that. the problem is if you read my post clearly, i'm having problems gaining weight even. i've taken 42 days to gain about 2.2lb. and i HAVE been training every week.

owen, thanks for your kind intentions. i've read the links before the problem would be i'm not eating enough, with regards to v. slow weight gain, but it doesn't explain why the slow weight gain was mostly fat.

spencerjrus, i'm not wondering why i put on fat on a high carb diet. i'm wondering why most of the weight gain was partitioned to FAT and not LBM.

reelbigfish, i like the way you think ^_^

spart, oh dear maybe so... i can think of a reason i'd be retaining water in the morning. yep i was thinking of more fats and protein for extra cals too. i haven't felt lethargic or horrible from the high carbs, but i guess it might not be the one that works for me. am waiting for someone like built to give advice too.

Wannabebig Member
    My 2 cents:

1) Doing the math it looks like you weigh around 126 correct? If this is the case then yes you are putting roughly enough calories down but you said on workout days... this should be EVERYDAY. You are definitely in your window with calories but include fats... they are a must. Give us some details of what you are eating... how much protein?
    2) How tall are you? I would not consider cutting if you don't have a foundation to start with
    3) What is your workout?

I would blame inaccuracies in the calliper measurements. How are things looking visually?

ah gimpy! glad you're here my stomach looks a little flabby. the areas that i think have grown 'fatter' are my stomach/hips, chest and butt. my arms are a little less defined, but my triceps are defined enough to look nice to me in the mirror. legs look the same.

mrclean, yes 126. why should the high cals be everyday and not just workout days? i've been trying to do a slow bulk and thought the more than extra cals on non-lifting days would probably increase fat gain.

1) well here's my breakdown:
    2900 lifting days
    protein 188.5g, carbs 391.5g, fats 64.4g

2600 non-lifting days
    protein 188.5g, carbs 331.5g, fats 57.8g

2) i'm 164m.. 5'4 i think?

3) my workout's a 5x5 and i'm doing the last few weeks of the intensity phase.

I would say it'd most likely be increased water weight, combined with inaccuracies in the calipers.
    Eat more fat You need it.

You prolly just gained a lot of water weight, and unfortunately it went to your gut, lowerback, thighs (happens to me as well). You may have put on more fat than you wanted if your fat had been too low. When your body doesn't get enough fat, it's more likely to store fat, because it doesn't think it's going to get more. Fat is used for fuel when the body is starved, and it helps insulate your body, along w/ good skin, joint lubrication. The body is very efficent and will do what it needs to maintain homeostasis.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism there, but I agree with ReelBig that your fats being too low can certainly be a problem. I seem to do better using fat as a caloric ballast rather than carbs. As an added perk, higher fats are better for your endocrine system anyway - good for test production. Make sure you get in some healthy, naturally saturated fats (egg yolks, meat, butter...).

Could really be just water, considering the fact that you are eating a "high carb" diet.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    ok i am just over 5'5 165 pounds and far from fat... so i have a hard time thinking that at 5'4 126 pounds you are getting fat. Quit worrying and get some GOOD food in your system (and a lot of it including good fats)... don't worry with the water weight... and hit those squats and deadlifts hard!

reel, built, do you think i should increase my fats then? they're currently 20% total cals. what about this thread? http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68719

Quote Originally Posted by ReelBigFish
    Fat is more easily stored as fat, as ryuage said, esp. in a calorie surplus, because carbs/ proteins have to be broken down in order to be turned into fat and then rereleased into the blood stream to be stored in your adipose tissue, where as fat doesn't.
    water weight - perhaps, seeing how it's near TOM for me. but how do you guys gauge whether your high carb bulk was effective? and whether you might've done better on high fat instead?

and yeah mrclean.. i guess i gotta add 100 cals to the diet again :/ 2900/2600cals are already a torture......

Don't go by an percentage - it's meaningless.

Go by a lean body mass-dependent dosing: 0.5g/lb LBM (or higher) for fats, 1.0g/lb (or higher) LBM for protein, carbs can be whatever, but you might find it works better to target them around your lifts and use fat and protein for the rest of your calories.

yup i know that percentage is useless. the amount of fat i'm currently taking in is higher than 0.5g/lb LBM and i'm just using LMcD's recommended 20-25% fats when doing a high carb bulk.

I'm not a high-carb bulk kinda gal - I just get too hungry and therefore, too fat. LOL!

Carbs DO make you bloat. Makes it hard to see if it's fat, water, muscle...

I'm not a high-carb bulk kinda gal - I just get too hungry and therefore, too fat. LOL!

Carbs DO make you bloat. Makes it hard to see if it's fat, water, muscle...
    hahaha!!

yeah, especially for females :/

am waiting for your bulking journal

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    hahaha!!

yeah, especially for females :/

am waiting for your bulking journal

Day 1: I am soooooooooooo fat.

Grasshoppa
    Low fat bulk. I just can't get past that part.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I bulk "low fat" compared to most. You have to realize that the higher your fat intake goes DOES NOT correlate to a higher than normal test level. Which is one reason people advocate high fat bulks. So whatever fills your caloric intake needs better while still getting "enough" of each macronutrient, and you will be fine.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST