The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Gigantic Problem imo

Okay so starting mid next week I have to fast ( it's a religious thing) during the daylight hours. Is it okay to just load up in the mornings and evenings? I dont even know how I'm going to find/make such calorie dense food but w.e.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would suggest you get a TON of slow acting proteins (casein) before you start fasting for the day. My best idea would be to treat a day of fasting the same way you would a night of sleep. Your stomach should look pregnant by the time you stop eating for the day, even then, good luck.

You can't drink water either, can you? It's really hard to digest anything without water.

Wow.

This sounds rough.

My thinking is that you might want to load up on fats before sunrise - helps blunt appetite, and they can help the muscle-sparing effort. Also, of course, they're calorie-rich.

I wannabebig!
    become nocturnal

yeah get a night job and make it so you are up during the hours you can eat. other than that bro, I would go w/ what built and spencer said. get some fats and slow digesting proteins early and then when you can eat again, just pile it in like there's no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    become nocturnal

I was actually thinking about suggesting that but didnt want to sound like an *******.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Is this Yom Kippur?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

yea built knows. Okay so Fats, Caseine from Cottage Cheese in the mornings? I get full fast, and fasting actually makes me less hungry. But yea I drink like a gallon of milk and water in the mornings usually when i do this. What sucks is I'm trying to bulk.

Thanks guys. I was really worried wtf I am going to do.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    You'll be okay.

I cite Hakeem Olajuwon as an example. One of the best to ever play NBA ball and he was equally unstoppable while fasting.

I have heard the team helped him by letting him sit out practice.

Bodybuilders have alot to gain by taking two weeks off. It will make you stronger. I would plan time off during this time of year.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I knew that.

I have a really rich Bengali friend that bought me lunch everyday for about 2 years.

I'm suggesting he take 2 weeks off *somewhere* during his fast. Perhaps train the first 2 weeks and then start resting.

Yes, the Persian Free Lunch programme is a great perk of having Muslim friends.

I agree - perhaps the second two weeks off would be ideal.

should i still suplement/ and should i supplement the Casein? or is a natural source better or both? and should my caloric intake stay at 3500 which is what im around right now?

during the two weeks off i mean.
    Last edited by Pasha; 10-04-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Continue to supplement as usual.

I don't know what you mean by supplement with casein. I eat cottage cheese for the casein. It's food.

Your activity level is going to drop, and you may gain a pound or two if you leave your cals the same.

If this is okay, knock yourself out.

Load up on milk and cottage cheese when you can eat.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

Yea, do fats. Good fats, of course. Peanuts and such in the mourning. Eat something with fiber too, and digests slow. Broccoli, oatmeal.
    When you get again I'd assume you'd need something that absorbs quickly, like whey portein shakes.
    Sucks you can't drink water through out the day.. god damn. (no offense)

Maybe you can observe Ramadan as it occurs in another time zone... you know... Like when the sun is up over Mecca.

Good idea.

If I'm out of line here you'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I was looking in Wikipedia at the Ramadan entry...

"If one's condition preventing fasting is only temporary, one must make up for the days missed after the month of Ramadan is over. If one's condition is permanent or present for an extended amount of time, one may make up for the fast by feeding a needy person for every day missed."

As a bodybuilder, you have dietary needs that are inconsistant with fasting. A month of fasting could undo the other 11 months of effort. I know with my metabolism it would. I would go feed the needy people if at all possible. Make a donation to a local homeless shelter, ask them how much it cost to feed one person for a day.

I really doubt that you can ditch Ramadan because you're a 'bodybuilder'. What they are refering to in Wikipedia, is ie travel, sickness etc. And Ramadan isn't about 'feeding other people so I can feel good about myself' (I'm to lazy to explain).

Grasshoppa
    Although it is nice to be dedicated to buildig a better body, trying to find ways out of your own religious beliefs is awkward. It's not like he can't eat at all...he just can't eat during daylight hours.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund
    Maybe you can observe Ramadan as it occurs in another time zone... you know... Like when the sun is up over Mecca.
    Good iea... is this possible?

No.

It's between sunrise and sunset where you live. So those living in the Artic regions are pretty much screwed in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    I really doubt that you can ditch Ramadan because you're a 'bodybuilder'. What they are refering to in Wikipedia, is ie travel, sickness etc. And Ramadan isn't about 'feeding other people so I can feel good about myself' (I'm to lazy to explain).
    Well, I guess thats good because I honestly don't really care what its about. I answered seriously in an attempt to help the original poster retain his physique instead of compulsory starvation. Your answer, frankly, comes off as sarcastic and condescending.

I'm not really sure who you're quoting regarding the 'feel good' stuff up there, but it wasn't me. The choice to feed those less fortunate than you was presented in the Wikipedia article as a viable and accepted alternative to fasting. If its wrong, you would think one of the 40 gazillion muslims in the world would have done the world a favor and fixed it by now. It is Wikipedia, after all.

And for what its worth, it is also my firm belief that what a person can and can't do is (or should be) between that person and whatever god they've chosen to believe exists. I highly doubt you have been ordained by his god to make these judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by praetorian
    No. It's between sunrise and sunset where you live. So those living in the Artic regions are pretty much screwed in the summer.
    LOL! I love this! No wonder they strap bombs on and detonate themselves - its a better death than starvation! If I were you, I would seriously rethink any religion that honestly requires you to starve to death if you are near the poles during Ramadan. That seems a little harsh. Couldn't they just cut a foot off or something? I really think you must be exaggerating. You should stop. Its affecting your credibility.