The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Check Form: Deadlift (me)

Hi, I just want to get people opinions on my deadlift form. I feel that I have pretty good form, but want to make sure.

The video file is .mpeg and it's roughly 4.5 MB, I do not know how to compress it to be a smaller size, which I would like to know. So if anyone knows how to do that, tell me.

I would like any comments/suggestions about my form. Thanks for your time.

http://www.squibblecode.com/bb/videos/Check_Form_DL.mpg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Mint
    It looks good to me. You keep your back straight, shoulders back, your core looks tight. From a safety standpoint all looks good.

You really need to put allot more weight on the bar.

Make another video with more weight on the bar.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
    I took the video during my warm up for today’s workout, it's only light weight (140 lbs) as you mentioned, but my form is the same for heavy weight also. I guess it may differ slightly, but for the most part, same thing. Next time I will use a nice heavy working set. I will also be posting a Squat video in the future. I will make sure to use heavier weight for that.

Hmm I really like your form actually. Mine looks exactly like yours. I just have one suggestion, and maybe you didn't do it because you were just warming up: hold the weight at the top with your shoulders back for 2 seconds. You seem to immediately let it down once you hit top. This hold seems to have really helped my grip strength a lot.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Looks good

Looks perfect, but like the guy said, form doesn't break down under light weight and you can't critique yourself that way.

Take a vid of 90%+ of your 1RM and then we can be of better service to you.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

The pull on your first one didnt look that great, but your form was good on the last couple. Make sure you keep that back arched and your shoulders up. You look like you know what your doing though so I'm not gonna give anymore advice.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Yep the form looked great but some people have a tendency to let their back round and other things happen when they use really heavy weight.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

You're bending too much at the knees. The deadlift is supposed to be a hip dominant movement. Stick your butt out, and bend forward like you're bowing to someone.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Thanks for the responses. I will try what some of you have suggested next DL day and get back to you.

Looks perfect. Add weight.

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Yep the form looked great but some people have a tendency to let their back round and other things happen when they use really heavy weight.
    Yep, had this same problem when I was doing 275 on my deads.. I fixed my form, had to drop 50 lbs, but now its much safer!
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    You're bending too much at the knees. The deadlift is supposed to be a hip dominant movement. Stick your butt out, and bend forward like you're bowing to someone.
    Can you describe what you're talking about with pictures?

I'd be really interested if you made two articles of the month one for a traditional deadlift and the other for a barbell back squat and included both pictures, videos, and an extensive write up for lifts of the month.

In the two years that I've been on this site I don't recall ever seeing either of these articles that really went into depth when its the basis of many new lifters' questions.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

So what he's saying is that you're squatting down too much. Look at your arms when you reset between reps. They are not hanging perfectly straight down... they're out in front. What you want to do is start with your ass a bit higher, and try to get your shoulders slightly behind the bar... or directly over.

Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    Can you describe what you're talking about with pictures?

I'd be really interested if you made two articles of the month one for a traditional deadlift and the other for a barbell back squat and included both pictures, videos, and an extensive write up for lifts of the month.

In the two years that I've been on this site I don't recall ever seeing either of these articles that really went into depth when its the basis of many new lifters' questions.
    Great idea!

As for an explanation, Debussy summed it up quite well.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Very keen observation. I applied the same to my deads yesterday and had to make a slight correction... the results are wonderful pain from muscles well worked. Thanks, Maki.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I'm glad it helped.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

MilliVanilli
    Great idea!

As for an explanation, Debussy summed it up quite well.
    Thanks.

I've been lifting for quite some time but I still feel my form on traditional deadlifts is lacking due to my lack of flexibility in my hip flexors/thighs. For me its been an extremely difficult lift to maintain form, same is to be said with squating, even though I've been squating atleast once if not twice a week now for a year and a half straight.

As for the write up, you do a good job on write ups but it usually only shows one picture of form and not a sequence of events which I feel would be more helpful, along with of course a video and an extensive write up. This is of course if you have the time to spare to do such an article.

For all intensive purposes, I don't even visit the homepage anymore after your articles weren't updated for awhile. I've seen your pictures in the members pic threads, you're a ripped monster now Maki, comm'on and show it off!
    Blood, sweat, and tears.