The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Question regarding curls...

Hello,

My name is Mike and I am a senior in high school. I am on the varsity baseball team and we work out three times a week. However, on the side I like to do curls. Their is a problem, though. Ever since summer when I do curls on my right arm (I only use weights ranging from 10lbs.-45lbs.) I feel a "stress" in the top bone of my elbow. This is hard to explain...but when I flex my biceps (like this way: http://www.pcimagenetwork.com/muscle/p6.jpg) I feel tension in the top bone area. There is no tension in my left arm/elbow when I do it on that side...it just feels a lot different after doing curls for both arms. It almost seems like I'm getting work done in my left bicep while I'm not in my right....I dunno, I am a pitcher who throws right-handed so maybe all my pitching plays a part in this. It's not a pain where I have to stop, but it's bugging the hell out of me.

Hopefully I didn't make things too complicated and someone can help me out.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hmmm.

What kind of form do you use for your curls? Alternating dumbbell, standing barbell, incline, preacher, spider, hammer...?

Get your ligaments checked out. I once threw a rock really hard, and ended up ripping one of my elbow ligaments. Sounds like the same sort of pain you're describing (possibly).

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Hmmm.

What kind of form do you use for your curls? Alternating dumbbell, standing barbell, incline, preacher, spider, hammer...?
    I use the alternating dumbbell. Sometimes I just do a certain amount of reps with one arm and then switch to the other. I probably should just do alternating dumbbell.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    Get your ligaments checked out. I once threw a rock really hard, and ended up ripping one of my elbow ligaments. Sounds like the same sort of pain you're describing (possibly).
    It's weird, though. I haven't had any pain throwing a baseball...

How often are you curling? I curl maybe once a week. After barbell rows, chins, lat pull downs, deads, etc... my biceps are usually worked more then enough to basically completely avoid curling.
    Nick V

Good point Unreal - b-ball, how often do you do curls, and how may sets of how many reps do you do when you do 'em?

Are you doing any other weightlifting? Do you work tris? Back? Legs? Anything else?

stop doing curl. let it heals for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    How often are you curling? I curl maybe once a week. After barbell rows, chins, lat pull downs, deads, etc... my biceps are usually worked more then enough to basically completely avoid curling.
    Deads? How does that work your biceps?
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Deads? How does that work your biceps?
    I don't know about you, but my biceps can get worked pretty well from deads...
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

My bicepts get worked pretty hard during deads.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

If that is the case I think you are doing something wrong: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

You're not supposed to engage your arms in the lift. There is no reason your biceps should be worked.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

my arms sometimes get a bit sore but more like a... forearm sore then a biceps sore...

deads are king
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Pitching really screwed up my arm ligaments from Little League. Finally im almost over it now that im 18. Never pitching again!!!!!! Its just like trying to tear up your elbow in my opinion.

^Perhaps if you pitched correctly, you wouldn't have those problems.

I pitched for MANY years, and never had any major issues.

I'd say stop doing curls for a while. They're not going to help you throw harder.......

Your biceps certainly get worked doing deads - when you hold a heavy bar, even hanging down in front of you, you are using your biceps, forearms, traps, etc. to help you hold the weight. It's great for the biceps.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba booey
    Your biceps certainly get worked doing deads - when you hold a heavy bar, even hanging down in front of you, you are using your biceps, forearms, traps, etc. to help you hold the weight. It's great for the biceps.
    Not to get off topic, but:

What kind of grip do you use that it works the bi's? I use an alternating grip and I don't really feel anything in the bi's when I deadlift.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Not to get off topic, but:

What kind of grip do you use that it works the bi's? I use an alternating grip and I don't really feel anything in the bi's when I deadlift.

I also use a mixed grip, and alternate them each set - I'm not saying they get worked like supinated bent-over rows or chins, but that doing deadlifts will work the biceps to some degree, as they are needed to help hold the weight - but they will get some work.

For an experiment - try doing chins (or curls, if you do them) after your deads - I would bet you will need to use less weight than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba booey
    I also use a mixed grip, and alternate them each set - I'm not saying they get worked like supinated bent-over rows or chins, but that doing deadlifts will work the biceps to some degree, as they are needed to help hold the weight - but they will get some work.

For an experiment - try doing chins (or curls, if you do them) after your deads - I would bet you will need to use less weight than normal.
    When you start your deads, are your arms straight? Or are they bent a little? If they are bent, that may be why the bi's are getting worked.

And I don't doubt my pullups would suffer after deads, becasue there are a ton of auxillary muscles that help in chins that get hit in deads, too.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball23
    I use the alternating dumbbell. Sometimes I just do a certain amount of reps with one arm and then switch to the other. I probably should just do alternating dumbbell.
    Do you lift the weight in a hammer curl motion, or do you rotate palms up with the elbow on the way up?

If it hurts, i'd ditch the movement.

Work your lower body if you are a pitcher. It's more important.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

I don't see biceps in the muscles being worked.

Imagine you're using your arms like cables to support the weight. You should not be using your biceps to actively move the weight, as that can (and will) lead to injury.

Deads work almost all major muscle groups to some degree. Some more than others, naturally.
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-26-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    Imagine you're using your arms like cables to support the weight. You should not be using your biceps to actively move the weight, as that can (and will) lead to injury.

Deads work almost all major muscle groups to some degree. Some more than others, naturally.
    well said stash
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Alright, for you doubters, I have attached an article from none other than Ronnie Coleman - if you look approx 1/3 of the way down, he explains that his bicep size increased when he started deadlifting. I can find many others, but I think this should suffice.

And yes, my arms hang straight down - I couldn't possibly keep my arms bent with the weight I use for deadlifting. The point is, when big weight is hanging down in front of you, as I stated earlier, you utilize many upper body muscles to help you hold that weight - including, among others, your traps, forearms and biceps.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...22/ai_n6111832