Thread: push pull routine?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

push pull routine?

im not happy with my strenth or my build right now. i usually train one bodypart per day per week. i usually do about 3-4 exercises per bodypart and about 12 sets total. but im thinking about doing a routine something like this basically to get my bench up and put on muscle.
    sun
    db benchpress 5sets
    bb military press 5sets
    dips w/weight 5sets

tues
    squats 5sets
    stiff deads 3sets
    chins 5sets
    bent rows 5sets
    hammer curls 5sets

thurs
    bb bench press 5sets
    db military 5sets
    dips w/weight 5sets

tell me what you guys think.

Do Tuesday a second time as well, and it looks alright. You might want to work a power clean or deadlift in place of either the chins or rows, but it's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tonelo61
    i usually train one bodypart per day per week.
    You need to increase the frequency if you want to grow.
    I didn't read the rules

Quote Originally Posted by innermusic
    You need to increase the frequency if you want to grow.
    That is partially true. For a beginner, it doesn't matter what you do. You need to EAT to grow! Once you start becoming more advanced, you need to train more often.

Don't be afraid of overtraining. Overtraining is *somewhat* overrated. If you avoid training to absolute failure, and avoid training the same body parts on consecutive days, you should be fine.

You can train the same body part two days in a row, but only if that manner of training is low-medium intensity.

A good intermediate workout that I designed:

Monday: Push
    Barbell flat Bench Press 4x 4-6 reps (1st set warm-up)
    Weighted Dips 3 x 6-8 reps (1st set bodyweight)
    Alternating DB Lunge + military press 4 x 4-6 reps (1st set warm-up)
    DB skull crushers 3 x 6-8 reps

Wednesday: Pull
    Deadlifts 5x5 reps (1st set warmup)
    Weighted Chinups 4x 6-8 reps (1st set bodyweight)
    Barbell Rows 4 x 4-6 reps (1st set warm-up)
    Upright rows 2 x 6-8 reps

Friday: Legs
    Barbell Back Squats 5x5 (1st set warm-up)
    Glute Ham raises 3 x Max reps (use hands if too difficult)
    Farmers Walk 2 sets x max distance
    Swiss ball leg curls 2 x 15 reps
    Barbell Calf raise + rock 3 x 8-12 reps

Saturday: Core
    Dumbbell Snatch + Side Press 3 x 4-6 reps each side
    Weighted crunches on ball 3 x 6-8 reps
    Rotation on ball 2 x max reps

Please note that I am not a bodybuilder, and I train for functionality. I designed this routine for a friend of mine. This phase of training was coming right after a hypertrophy (8-12 reps) phase, which is why most of the rep ranges are in the power (6-8) and also absolute strength ranges. (1-5) Granted, you will still gain a lot of mass if you eat right and train hard (not meaning failure), regardless of the rep schemes.

Also, some exercises are absent which I wanted to incorporate (Romanian deadlifts), but since he was already doing those movements in his prior phase, I wanted to change the exercises to avoid adaption.

Note that some exercises train the same muscle groups as other workouts, but not at maximum intensity. This is intentional, so in a sense you are stimulating most of your muscle groups throughout the week.

My current split is as follows:

Monday: Push
    Tuesday: Pull
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: Push
    Friday: Pull

Both workouts incorporate leg exercises (one workout quads, one hamstrings), but not at maximum intensity. The only problem I have had from this split was that if I became overzealous and decided to max out, or train to failure all the time, I did burnout and my strength did not inrease in the following workout.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Do another Tuesday one. And you need to Deadlift. It is possible the coolest lift ever...not to mention the great gains it can give you.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I think you'd be better off with push/pull/legs