Thread: Working out...then the next day

Working out...then the next day

Hey all,

I used the 'search' function, either there's not another post thats related to this one...or I really officially do suck at life.

Anyhow...

I have two sides of this story telling me different things, and I really need this cleared up,

Lets say your working out like crazy one day (I work out 4 days a week for 45mins) and the next day your SOAR! I'm talkin' S-O-A-R. Now, the question is...do you continue to work out while your soar? or do you let your body 're-gen' itself.

I've heard "No no no, when your soar, that means your doing something right, continue to work out, YOU'LL BUILD!"

and I've heard "Let your body heal itself...the pain your feeling is your muscles tearing (how you 'build' muscle) let your body heal itself, then continue the next day.

Now, I'm stuck in a pickle.

can I get a final say on this, so I know which is true?
    - Thanks,
    -[Brian]-

Wannabebig Member
    soar and stuck in a pickle 'eh?

Why would you need to work out the day after you worked out?

Guess I would say we need more info as well. Where are you in the building process? Are you a beginner, etc? And how are you working out, what lifts, etc?

Wannabebig Member
    sore.
    i usually don't workout if i'm sore. unless i'm not working on the muscles that are effected.

if it's doms, then i'll do some light stuff, nothing hard (i'm talking about hockey etc here, no weights, i'd rather rest another day or two and then hit the gym hard again).

if the soreness is due to some other injury, i won't do anything with it. i'll rest till it's healed.
    Last edited by mkerr; 10-16-2005 at 10:51 PM.

you should not be working muscles that are already sore, but if you did chest on day 1, then the next day did back (even while chest was sore) there should be no problems
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by mkerr
    sore.
    i usually don't workout if i'm sore. unless i'm not working on the muscles that are effected.
    This n00b's got it. The only time I don't workout when I'm sore is if FOR SOME REASON that specific muscle group that I'm supposed to work out that day is still sore. This shouldn't happen really since I'm on a 5 day split though...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

If i do chest on a monday my chest will be soar tuesday wednesday probs but as im not doing chest till the next monday this shouldnt be a problem it will just feel tight while doing shoulders on wednesday. I wouldnt advise to do the same bodypart 2 days in a row unless ure taking anabolics and eve then i wouldnt really
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Soreness has been covered 40k times. Soreness is not an indicatior of progress, growth. Muscles heal outside the gym. You need rest, food, sleep and plenty of it to grow. I hit the same muscle every 6 days. Sure you can goto the gym again the next day. I go almost daily. Normally chest/tris, then legs, day off, then shoulders/delts, then back/bis, day off, repeat. On off days I do some cardio. Look at WBB1, see how often they work each musle. In fact, if your new, do it for 8 weeks, or give Mr. Mason's "gain 15lbs of muscle in one month" routine a try.
    Nick V

You should let a muscle recover before working on it again. The exception to this might be some form of active recovery, where you can hit the muscle again the next day, with 2 or 3 light high rep sets.

Maybe on off days some should work on their spelling, not muscles.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phrozen755
    Hey all,

I used the 'search' function, either there's not another post thats related to this one...or I really officially do suck at life.

Anyhow...

...SOAR! ...S-O-A-R.
    There's a reason why search didn't return anything...
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    There's a reason why search didn't return anything...

guess meat heads dont have a sense of humor....ba dum dum *crash*

oh well.
    - Thanks,
    -[Brian]-

No Information Provided
    Quote Originally Posted by phrozen755
    guess meat heads dont have a sense of humor....ba dum dum *crash*

oh well.
    I got the joke after you said that, but the irony would have been much more apparent had you said it in person.

RE: pay close attention

S_O_R_E

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

[QUOTE=ElPietro]You should let a muscle recover before working on it again.[QUOTE]

:withstupi If you don't heal, you don't get stronger. Figure out what works for you. You will not gain by benching one day, then doing it again the next, unless you're doing an incredibly pussy weight the second day.

edit: LMFAO @ Pat
    Last edited by SW; 10-17-2005 at 08:11 PM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Supreme Champ
    Soar: to rise into the air
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod