Thread: Bought "The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" by Arnold S... your thoughts?

Hybrid View

is way too skinny!

Bought "The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" by Arnold S... your thoughts?

I just purchased this huge book off Amazon due to a friend referring it and right now I am really impressed at the incredible detail and knowledge Arnold has put in the book so far (on page 83).

I was wondering if any of you have read / used his book and still do and your thoughts..
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

i've had it for a few years, i just like to look at the pics

read it and all, sure it's ok.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I borrowed that book from Rock for a while. It's a good read, it's got awesome pictures and I loved the stories. But I would not suggest following the routines he describes there, (if I remember correct, most of the routines had a mad rep/set range.) unless you are a genetic freak that is.

You know wood burns longer and is cheaper, right?

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    You know wood burns longer and is cheaper, right?
    lmao my thoughts as well.

dont get me wrong, there was a lot of useful info in that book but there is so much bs in there that to anyone not already familiar with the subject it makes for a useless even detrimental read... and if you are already educated on bb'ing then you probably dont need the book anyway.

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    lmao my thoughts as well.

dont get me wrong, there was a lot of useful info in that book but there is so much bs in there that to anyone not already familiar with the subject it makes for a useless even detrimental read... and if you are already educated on bb'ing then you probably dont need the book anyway.
    I mean I consider myself more educated than the average person, but I also am always up for more learning, and I don't understand how there is BS, because I mean he has great credibility. I haven't gotten into the routines yet, but so far it seems pretty solid.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

It's pretty decent..

Obviously, some of it is dated since it was written some time ago, but it's a great book overall. It's got interesting information about his training, training partners, how to pick a training partner, etc..

If I was going to give someone a book on bodybuilding, that wouldn't be one I overlooked when making the decision. The general accuracy, coupled with the credibility/starpower of Arnold makes it worthwhile, imo..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I've never read it; I just stick to my "The Book of Muscle" from Men's Health; has great info. on how the body works and how each exercise does what, etc. However, the routine sucks; I tried it and hated it...

"Time to play the game" TheGame's Avatar
    It has a lot of good info but the reps and sets are f***ing crazy, I did it for about three months but had to back off it just seem to be way to much.
    "No maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself." Rocky 4
    " You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" Rocky

Well keep in mind also, i believe in the book the routines are what he did in his BB days.....when he was on AAS. Your muscles recover a lot quicker on AAS so he wasnt getting burnt out like a normal person would.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by shansen008
    Well keep in mind also, i believe in the book the routines are what he did in his BB days.....when he was on AAS. Your muscles recover a lot quicker on AAS so he wasnt getting burnt out like a normal person would.
    What is AAS??

I just read through some of his routines.. I will be sticking with mine. That is some insane **** he has in there!
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997T-Bird
    What is AAS??

I just read through some of his routines.. I will be sticking with mine. That is some insane **** he has in there!
    AAS = anabolic steroids
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    A buddy of mine gave it to me as a birthday gift one year. I appreciate it to this day- aside from WBB and the mini vids linked up in Routines that book is where I refer my friends to. I've, in turn, given it as a gift. I take into account that it isn't the only way to train, but it's a great reference guide.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Its got alot of good information and alot of bad information. If you buy it and read it, DON'T GIVE A SECOND OF YOUR ATTENTION TO THE ROUTINES(and most of the training info)! They are crap... the bodybuilding history and pictures are awesome though, its a pretty entertaining book.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

i loved it. great pictures, great history on BB'ing, nice dieting/food info but yeah the training stuff is whack, the routines are nOT for even seasoned BB'ers but maybe for pros.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

i've had it for awhile now, great book, good stories, amazing for newbies who want to learn how to correctly proform movements. The diet section is also good.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

i bought it about a month ago, yea the routines seem kinda crazy, but everything else is great. i've read about a third of it so far, and its god some good stuff. i love the pictures, history, stories, and i use it as a source for motivation every night.