The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Shoulder injury, should I worry?

Hello all.. I am new to the world of giving a damn about what I eat and what I do to burn calories.. I used to skate - a whole lot then I got into an accident and blew my left shoulder...2 years later it was still blown and would fall out of place any time I even changed the pace at which my arms would swing. I had surgery then, I have a screw from my shoulder to my colar bone..now its been years since then (about 5) and I still have problems with such things as sustaining weight, or raising my arm for long periods of time causing me pain on the shoulder.. It is not that I have pain all the time, only if I am carrying like 80lbs over my head for a couple of minutes - which I do often since I work in a datacenter.

Should this affect the *way* I train? My goal is to drop fat and build lean mass, but this is a short term goal for maybe a year or so. After that I plan to bulk up nice and slow to put on as much lean mass and little body fat as possible. I want to hit the 220lb mark with a low bf%.

Should I train light at first, just deal with the pain, maybe take some supplements? I hear creatine is good for this.. Any suggestions anyone? I know I can train and push myself past the pain, I do it every time I do heavy lifting at work or at home.. But I want it to heal and become strong.
    Last edited by jamrock; 10-17-2005 at 03:03 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

have you got yourself checked?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Sorry I posted and missed the part that I had surgery The doctor says I should have done my therapy like he asked.. Skaters don't do therapy.. I was a dumbass.
    Last edited by jamrock; 10-17-2005 at 03:01 PM.

well i fractured both shoulders in an accident it took almost a year to get them going again

try spider crawls with your finger tips up and down a wall
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Yea I never did therapy, just threw my skates back on and hit the ramps.. My shoulder has always suffered from it..

I am signing up to the gym this week, but I am not sure WBB#1 will be the best 'therapy' for my problem. I don't want to injure myself and blow my chances of doing well at this. Heh.. being 24 and 250lbs and never having done much 'weight' training I have a pipe dream about competing at least once by the time i'm 30, even if I lose.

Wannabebig Member
    I had something similar to this happen to me. My shoulder injury was not as serious (it came from a dive in beach volleyball ) .It was still bad enough to make me not do a good number of lifts for just about a month.

I tried to rehab it to the best of my abilities, by using a heating pad and some stretching techniques. I hit the gym about a month later and did real light weights on my shoulder and after about 2 weeks of that I was fully healed.

The point of my story is, don't rush into it. Shoulder, lower back, and knee injuries are very limiting and your main priority right now should be healing it before you jump into heavy weights. If that is not fully healed and you start trying to do heavy weights you could further injure your shoulder limiting you for the rest of your life.

Also pick up a Glucosamine/Chrondroitin mix or if that is too much I used fish oil and I actually think it helped. Placebo effect or not you decide for yourself

Good luck and take it slow.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    well i fractured both shoulders in an accident it took almost a year to get them going again

try spider crawls with your finger tips up and down a wall

spider crawls?

what is this exercise? does this help for the fron off the shoulder joint? which is where i have problems.

thanks
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass