Thread: Ohio Police Arrest Woman For $1.16 In Unpaid Taxes

Wannabebig Member

Ohio Police Arrest Woman For $1.16 In Unpaid Taxes

Ohio Police Arrest Woman For $1 In Unpaid Taxes
    Unfiled City Tax Forms Also Cited In Case

POSTED: 9:59 am EDT October 13, 2005
    UPDATED: 12:09 pm EDT October 13, 2005

LOVELAND, Ohio -- An Ohio woman was arrested after she didn't pay just more than $1 that she owed in income taxes, WLWT-TV in Cincinnati reported.

Deborah Combs owed the city of Loveland $1.16 last year, but she also hadn't filed her city income tax forms in five years, the television station said.

She said officers pulled her over and acted as though she were a violent criminal.

"One sheriff approached my car with his hand on his gun," she said. "Another from the other side of the car leaned in and said, 'Are you Deborah Combs?' He said, 'We have a warrant for your arrest.' I was absolutely shocked."

Combs said she thinks the arrest and charges are over-the-top for the amount she owed.

"What they've spent in stamps is more than what I owe," she said.

She could also end up paying hundreds of dollars in fines for the unfiled tax forms, the television station reported.

Loveland City Manager Fred Enderle said the amount Combs owes isn't the real issue.

"Whether it's $1 they owe us or $1,000, it's not fair to the rest of the public to not pursue that person," he said. "There is some expense involved, but it goes back to the principle. We have laws. The laws have to be complied with. At what cost do you stop enforcing the law?"

Combs is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 20.
    http://www.local6.com/money/5093711/detail.html

LOL only in Ohio...

"Principle" is kinda stupid in this case... our government needs to be efficient and that means busting people who have cheated the government out of more than just $1.16.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Exactly.

"At what cost do you stop enforcing the law?"
    Well, just as in all other businesses, you stop at the break-even point. You stop enforcing the law when it costs society more to enforce it than it does to just let it go. I would say 1 dollar is clearly within that scope.

Its a dollar. you can't even buy a coke at the store for that much any more.

Doesn't make much sense, but whatever.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

100% justified.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Philippians 4:13
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    100% justified.
    :withstupi maybe this will teach her to file her taxes next time.

More importantly, I doubt it says "owes $1.16" on the warrant that the sheriff saw. Also, they did not behave like she was a violent criminal; they behaved like there was a warrant out for her arrest, like there was. It would have been more fun if they made her get out of the car at gunpoint though.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by New_Sport
    but she also hadn't filed her city income tax forms in five years, the television station said.
    The story may read "Ohio Police Arrest Woman For $1 In Unpaid Taxes" but not filing for 5 years is what they will get her for. The press just wanted to "sell some papers".
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

they probally used 10.000 dollars to get that dollar in, working hours and so on
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Not paying $1.16 in taxes and getting fined - $ 500
    Work hours used to to process the case - $ 1000
    Getting tazed for not paying $1.16 - PRICELESS

heh or something like that

Bwhahaa it would have been so sweet if she got tazed though
    cop : "YOU OWE US $1.16!!111oneone!!!11"
    *taze*

But what happened to common sense?
    Last edited by Praetorian; 10-17-2005 at 07:35 PM.

This is the town where I live (and pay taxes)!!!

First the cop just saw that she had 5 warrents, it didn't say what they were for.

Second, I deal with the loveland tax department on a yearly basis, they are the nicest people you have ever met and will bend over backwards to help you out.

Third, it's not that she didn't pay...she didn't even file. Pursuant to 183.05 of the Loveland Code of Ordinances, the City does not collect or rebate tax obligations of less than $2.00. However, because Ms. Combs had mandatory late filing penalties for these tax years, the $1.16 tax obligation was collectable because her total tax obligation was already $150.00

Check here for the details: http://www.lovelandoh.com/dcombspressrelease.asp

1% is all you pay even though she didn't make any money you still have to file. It's about a 3 minute process, and is no big deal. You can even go into town and the people at city hall will do it for you. If you can't afford the taxes they will even setup a payment plan to help you out.

Just stupid on this ladies part!!!!!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    He had his hand on his gun for a woman that owed 1 dollar. What is the world coming to?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 10-17-2005 at 08:11 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    100% justified.
    Yup.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    He had his hand on his gun for a woman that owed 1 dollar. What is the world coming to?
    He had his hand on his gun because he was approaching a subject wanted on a warrant. I'm pretty sure he didn't have the specific info that she owed $1.16. I'm willing to bet that the 5 years of not filing has a lot more to do with the warrant than the $1.16.

So now the truth starts coming out... damned media.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Seriously, the buck.sixteen business is negligible and sensationalist on the media's part. Not filing taxes, OTOH, is moronic behavior on the woman's part. She got served for being an idiot. I agree with the town.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    So now the truth starts coming out... damned media.
    It's called spin, it's a lame story and you have to do something to grab readers, which sells, papers, which means your cirrculation increases, and you might just get a little raise if you manage to do this for the majority of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund
    Exactly.

"At what cost do you stop enforcing the law?"
    Well, just as in all other businesses, you stop at the break-even point. You stop enforcing the law when it costs society more to enforce it than it does to just let it go. I would say 1 dollar is clearly within that scope.

Its a dollar. you can't even buy a coke at the store for that much any more.
    I'm surprised to see you post something like this. You know, a murderer in prison doesn't give anything back to the community and costs thousands upon thousands of dollars to hold for life. They're pretty expensive to keep, so maybe we should let them go?

And it's just a dollar? With that attitude, that's all it will ever be young man
    Last edited by BCC; 10-18-2005 at 08:46 AM.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

ROFL! Now now now...

I intentionally left the word money out of my statement. Allowing a murderer to roam the streets obviously entails a much greater cost to society than keeping him locked up - no matter how much money that costs.

Also, on a side note: if it were up to me, we would not let them go. I'd have the judges gavel rigged to instantly euthanize them upon the pronouncement of guilty. Oh!Either that or we could bring back gladiator-style combat.

Gladiator style combat on pay per view. That might help balance the budget too.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I like yer thinkin'!