The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Starting WBB1 tomorrow evening

Hey all,
    I am a 19 yr old med student at a UK university, 135lbs, low BF% (will pick up calipers tomorrow) and 5ft 8
    I hope to gain around 30lbs so I look less weedy in general.

Approx measurements (with help from girlfriend)
    Chest 35"
    Upper arm (straight) 11.5"
    Waist 31"
    Thighs 22"

I spent some time in the gym over Summer but didnt really know what I was doing, in terms of both exercise and diet.
    I thought I was eating loads but since I started tracking on fitday I realised I wasnt eating nearly enough.

For the last week I have managed between 3500 and 4000 cal per day and I actually feel a little bigger already.
    I can keep this diet up when I start the gym tomorrow.

I intend to start with WBB1. The gym is state of the art and has all the equipment to do every exercise in the routine.
    I have never done a squat or deadlift before in my life but I have to go for an "induction" in the gym first, so I guess someone will show me how to do them properly.
    I have studied this site and the exercise directory for everything else.

I have printed off a chart for all of the exercises, reps and sets etc and tomorrow I plan to go on everything in the gym tomorrow and find out what weight my 6-8 rep max is.

Any other tips or suggestions?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It looks like you have all the bases covered. Good luck with your goal.

Yeah you might not want to assume that they will show you how to deadlift and squat.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html
    and
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

I hope that helps, otherwise it seems like you got your stuff together.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Yeah you might not want to assume that they will show you how to deadlift and squat.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html
    and
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

I hope that helps, otherwise it seems like you got your stuff together.
    Yep, thats the exercise directory I was talking about and I have figured everything else out but I figured they would show me more complex stuff like Deadlift and Squats. It's a little hard to judge the form from those animations and instructions.. the best way is through experience right.

I won't assume anything though but since they have a squat rack and they insisted I wait two weeks for an "induction" I hope that they will show me!

This is the guide I'll be taking tomorrow.
    I also have this chart which I will fill in weekly to monitor my progress.
    I'll monitor my diet on fitday too
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just be careful with the PTs. Some of them have no clue on how to do DLs and squats with proper form, so they come up with a billion reasons for you to not do them. Just don't get discouraged in the beginning with DLs when they bang up your shins.

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    Just be careful with the PTs. Some of them have no clue on how to do DLs and squats with proper form, so they come up with a billion reasons for you to not do them. Just don't get discouraged in the beginning with DLs when they bang up your shins.
    Hey, I used to go to UK and now I go to UofL.

I suggest lifting in the basement of Donovan Hall instead of the Johnson Center (less people hogging weights).

Seriously, I'd avoid PTs like the plague, and prepare for extreme soreness in your legs for the first few sessions, but man is it worth it in the long run!

EDIT: Crap, you actually meant United Kingdom!
    Last edited by John04Civic; 10-16-2005 at 05:33 PM.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

Lol, I wont get discouraged.. I'll do them anyway and ask other people to help with form.

I have the video of Chris masons deadlift so I assume thats good form to follow too

Lol, yes i meant UK as in "United Kingdom" :P

Well I'm off in less than 1hr... slightly nervous actually!

I've got all my routine printed off etc, my bag packed, ready to go!

Right just came back from the gym.

Was okay but the induction was ******ed...

the guy measured my blood pressure as 180/57. He had the strap 1/4 way over my elbow joint.. idiot. I made him do it again and it came to 130/60-something.. a bit better I suppose.
    We did a physiology practical for my course about 2 weeks ago and my blood pressure was 121/79.. almost perfect.

They also refused to show me how to do deadlifts.. the guy said he didnt know how and the girl just said I'd injure myself and "didnt reccommend it until I have enormous upper body strength" and that I would injure myself and then it would be their fault.
    I told her I wanted to start light and get good for, therefore not injuring myself- and therefore build body strength through practice... but she didnt really listen.

Damn... can anyone explain step by step how to do a perfect form deadlift please?
    I have been on http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...BBDeadlift.html but if anyone can give any more or explain any better that would be cool, thanks.

Anyways, I did:

Flat barbell bench press:
    8 reps 61kg, 6 reps 68 kg

Dips:
    8 reps BW, 8 reps BW
    (I think I need to find a way to do weighted dips or just use the tricep/chest press machine instead)

Chin ups:
    Same as the dips

Deadlifts:
    Didnt get to try

Barbell rows:
    Didnt try either

Shrugs:
    Didnt try yet

Apparently someone can show me later in the week but there's no promises they will be in and/or willing to show me. hmm...

If you cant ask a PT for squat form advice, who can you ask?

ask someone who's actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    If you cant ask a PT for squat form advice, who can you ask?
    Dunno.. they're a set of bloody idiots!

ask someone who's actually doing it.
    Maybe, but I didnt see anyone yesterday doing either squats or deadlifts.
    There were two guys using the free weights and both just did bicep curl after curl after curl. They used a barbell, then dumbells, then an EZ curl bar, then a cable curl

Ah, a fitness center... I go to one. I say 'deadlift' or 'squat' and get looks of horror. I ask for a spot and I get looks of horror...

There's only one guy on staff who is 'certified' to show proper form. The rest are only allowed to demonstrate the machines and deal with weights less than 10 lbs. The one guy who is certified checked my dead form and said 'nearly textbook' but told me I wasn't 'throwing my shoulders back enough' at the top of the lift which could 'lead to a rounded back and injury'.

Cheerleaders are what most the people behind the staff desk are.

As for the spot they just stonefaced said 'I can't do that' so when I said "Just find someone on the floor then and ask?" I got a non-commited 'I hear that's what some people have chosen to do.' 'Hear' 'some' 'chosen'... I understand the desire to not be sued, especially in a place where people are quite likely to do stupid things to themselves, but still.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Ah, a fitness center... I go to one. I say 'deadlift' or 'squat' and get looks of horror. I ask for a spot and I get looks of horror...

There's only one guy on staff who is 'certified' to show proper form. The rest are only allowed to demonstrate the machines and deal with weights less than 10 lbs. The one guy who is certified checked my dead form and said 'nearly textbook' but told me I wasn't 'throwing my shoulders back enough' at the top of the lift which could 'lead to a rounded back and injury'.

Cheerleaders are what most the people behind the staff desk are.

As for the spot they just stonefaced said 'I can't do that' so when I said "Just find someone on the floor then and ask?" I got a non-commited 'I hear that's what some people have chosen to do.' 'Hear' 'some' 'chosen'... I understand the desire to not be sued, especially in a place where people are quite likely to do stupid things to themselves, but still.

Yep.. it's ridiculous.

You would think it's in their best interest to show you with a light weight how to do it with the correct form.