Thread: Overhead squat, how deep ?

Overhead squat, how deep ?

How deep do you guys go on OH squats? Is it the same as your normal back squats ? Or is it ass touching calves...but then my knees start crackling and passing my toes?

Knees are going to go past the toes on high-bar, close stance squats period. It should not be a problem as long as you don't have knee issues to begin with, are using proper form, and building into it.

Try to videotape your form if you can.

I go as deep as I can on overhead squats (hamstrings on calves).

Thanks, I've been doing it wrong the whole time then.

I'll probably do some in the next week or two. I'll try to videotape them and post it if I can.

Nice, I'll look forward to it. Or post you OH squat PR video

Noob Now, Master Tomorrow
    I go down as far as i can and it seems to work fine so my ass to grass.
    Awesome exercise aswell.
    Last edited by Formless; 10-19-2005 at 12:28 PM.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I still don't understand how you can keep the arms back enough while going down. It requires so much flexibility.

Noob Now, Master Tomorrow
    Start off with a low weight or even with an empty bar and you should get used to it after a while, then start adding weight.
    And it should help alot with olympic lifts such as clean and snatch because you would be able to go down all the way.
    I usually stretch for about 10 minutes before i workout and after.

If you have a problem with flexibility trying stretching in the morning and before you go to bed at night.You should make good progress in a month or so.
    Last edited by Formless; 10-19-2005 at 12:33 PM.

Nothing impressive - 3 sets of 5 w. 135lbs. I'm so out of shape and out of practice that I'm embarassed to show it, but here it is: http://media.putfile.com/overhead-squat (it will run the smoothest w. the lowest bandwidth setting)

Please ignore my pathetic attempt at power snatches to start the sets...
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-21-2005 at 11:03 PM.

I'm currently repping out half of what your doing for OH squats. Makes me feel even more pathetic, I mean....really pathetic.

BTW: You're wearing those special shoes? I also notice your knees are passing your toes, if I do this my knees start to crackle, this is fine right ?

I do my squats (any type) bear footed).
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 10-22-2005 at 12:46 AM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    I'm currently repping out half of what your doing for OH squats. Makes me feel even more pathetic, I mean....really pathetic.
    Don't worry about it. I've seen a lot of very strong guys who couldn't do them properly with just the bar, so if you can do them it means you already have a good amount of coordination and flexibility. Work on your overall body strength and it will probably go up significantly.

BTW: You're wearing those special shoes?
    I wear Adidas olympic lifting shoes. Pretty expensive, but I love them. I bought them w. the intention of doing more OL training but I basically just use them for squatting...

I also notice your knees are passing your toes, if I do this my knees start to crackle, this is fine right ?
    Is there any pain or discomfort when this happens? I'm not a doctor, but my knees used to pop a lot when squatting and I never had any issues - that doesn't mean you won't though, so it would probably be a good idea to have an unbiased professional (probably a sports medicine doc) check it out. You might have some underlying joint issues or muscular imbalances that you need to take care of.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-22-2005 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    I do my squats (any type) bear footed).
    I'm just noticing this now... I know there are some very, very strong guys who choose to squat and deadlift barefooted, but I really think this is a bad, bad, bad idea.

Nothing to do with shoes, but here's an article about the overhead squat by Dan John: http://danjohn.org/overhead.html