The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Philippians 4:13

Exercises that people makeup

I don't know about you guys, I see a lot of people make up their own exercises.

Take today for instance. I watched this guy do about 10 sets of front delt raises with 10lb. dumbbells and proceed to do 10 sets of lateral raises with 5lb. dumbbells. Normally I would ignore people like this, but he had major BO not to mention the fact that he was standing in front of the gym's only fan which blew the BO right across the room (I work out in a really shabby gym).

But the funny part was the exercises that I saw him do. I can't really describe it. Basically it was like a rear delt raise except he threw his back into it to get his arms as high as possible into the air. It really looked like he was trying to fly.

After doing like 10x20 of those "seagulls" he began to do a even stranger exercise where he bent-over slightly and proceeded to rock his arms from front to back with 10lb. dumbbells using a one foot range of motion. I swear he did like 50+ "reps" just standing there wasting his time, not to mention that he was exposing his arm pit to the fan.

After that he began doing other exercises, cable rows etc. but get this, he came back and proceeded to do his sad-excuse of a shoulder routine again.

He must have spent about 2 hours in the gym doing that routine becaused I arrived there later than him, I left a hour later, and he was still there using those 5 lb dumbbells for lateral raises.

So what kind of strange exercises do you guys see at the gym?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
    (")_(") to help him gain world domination.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Trampoline chest pressing.

i have to be honoest, i haven't seen anybody do made up exercises, yet. But once in a while there is a dude that works out, normal workout, but instead of resting in between sets, he goes over to the punching bag and beats teh **** out of it, and not just with his fists but with his feet, knees, elbows etc. I'm not a boxer but you can see that he's form is just horrible, and i'm surprised he hasn't broken his wrist or his pinky. Funny thing is that he does it when there is usually maximum 3 people in the gym. I really want to ask if he's trying to show off or actually doing something usefull, cus it don't look usefull at all.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

One time at my old gym there was this lady who must have been about 60 years old. Instead of just doing crunches or torso rotation or side bends, she decided she'd work her core in the most flamboyant way possible.

She took a stick (I believe it was a wooden one, not one of those lightly weighted bars) and went into a racketball court and proceeded to just swing it around like a helicopter for a few minutes. I was waiting for her to accidentally lose her grip and have the stick go flying but that moment never came. She also had this funny face on her like "oh yeah I know what I'm doing, I'm advanced at working out and can make up better exercises than you". I had to hide my laughter when she started swinging that thing around.

One VERY common one that I see is the side bend... with DBs in both hands. Let me think about this for a second: in this exercise your body is basically mimicking a pulley, if you have weight on one end you have to do work to move it, if you have the same weight on both sides then the weights counter-balance each other and it takes next to no work to move it. As if that weren't sad enough, I usually see people using sub-40lb DBs on these exercises... when I do it (with only one DB) I have to use a good 120lbs to get my obliques worked.

Then of course there's always the "bouncing calves" on the standing calf raise machine.

Or how about the exercises where the people only do a small range of motion. I see this a lot on bicep curls, crunches, and back extension a lot.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    She took a stick (I believe it was a wooden one, not one of those lightly weighted bars) and went into a racketball court and proceeded to just swing it around like a helicopter for a few minutes. I was waiting for her to accidentally lose her grip and have the stick go flying but that moment never came. She also had this funny face on her like "oh yeah I know what I'm doing, I'm advanced at working out and can make up better exercises than you". I had to hide my laughter when she started swinging that thing around.

Thats one of those, "Please stop I cant breathe" moments.

hahahahha seagulls...hahahahahahaHAHAHHAAH
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Bent-over flies.... without the bent-over part.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

this thread is hilarious
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Bent-over flies.... without the bent-over part.
    LOL...

There was a guy in the gym the other day. He was doing triceps press downs....but his back was halfway between parallel to the floor and standing straight. Anyway, he would start with the bar above his head in this position and would jerk and pull in all kinds of crazy directions as he brought the bar down, straight-armed, all the way to his legs. Then he'd rep like this for about 20 times. Then he'd proceed to flex his non-existing triceps in the mirror and he took like 10 minute breaks in between sets.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 10-19-2005 at 04:45 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

"Standing Pec Flyes" - taking two dumbbells, put your arms at a 45 angle as if you were going to do an overhead press, but instead move your elbows in and out all whilst standing.

^ hhahahahahaha it seems a common misconception is the idea that moving weight though the air automatically means the muscles are being worked well. Come on people, you have to move the weight AGAINST GRAVITY
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Grasshoppa
    Lady was standing next to me doing these weird dance moves in the mirror for an hour or so like it was her cardio for the day (note: she was just bouncing side to side, standing in one place). After that, she left. I never quite understood what the point was for her to drive to the gym to do that.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I never quite understood what the point was for her to drive to the gym to do that.
    That's definitely one way to waste a gym membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    Lady was standing next to me doing these weird dance moves in the mirror for an hour or so like it was her cardio for the day (note: she was just bouncing side to side, standing in one place). After that, she left. I never quite understood what the point was for her to drive to the gym to do that.

Dont feel bad, people come to my gym and stretch for 45 minutes, take a lap around the room, and then leave immediately.

^^^^^

At least they're improving their flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    lol like a helicopter
    (\__/)

bone crusher
    i luv those side-bends with 2 dumbbells- usually the cardio bunny technique of choice

Banned
    my personal favorite is when people are doing the worm on the lat pulldown cable machine

Banned
    HAHA the counter weight side bends.. there is this asian girl who is very very unattractive who does that, except when she bends to the left she raises the right arm holding a dumbbell up to her arm pit area and alternates for the other side

i call it the monkey dance

^^^^^^

I saw a guy doing hand stand pushups on the parrallel dip bars. Ofcourse that was more awesome than stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Stackattack
    I saw a guy doing hand stand pushups on the parrallel dip bars. Ofcourse that was more awesome than stupid.
    thats pretty cool thoe, now if somebody tried those right after, that would be stupid.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

There's this one guy who goes on the decline situp bench and just kind of bounces his shoulders off the bench with aboiut a 1 inch range of motion. He doesn't even move his stomach to do it, just kind of shrugs his shoulders forward.

There's also some asian girl who lays down on a mat on her back, then just kind of kicks her legs in the air while she READS HER BOOK! She just bends her legs at the knees, so it's not like it's actually doing anything. If you can read while working out, you're obviously not doing it hard enough.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

There's this one guy who goes on the decline situp bench and just kind of bounces his shoulders off the bench with aboiut a 1 inch range of motion. He doesn't even move his stomach to do it, just kind of shrugs his shoulders forward.

I've seen that before.

There's also some asian girl who lays down on a mat on her back, then just kind of kicks her legs in the air while she READS HER BOOK! She just bends her legs at the knees, so it's not like it's actually doing anything. If you can read while working out, you're obviously not doing it hard enough.
    Jebus. How the hell do people come up with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    HAHA the counter weight side bends.. there is this asian girl who is very very unattractive who does that, except when she bends to the left she raises the right arm holding a dumbbell up to her arm pit area and alternates for the other side

i call it the monkey dance
    i've actually seen more than one person do shrugs like that. They would shrug their shoulders then try and bring the weights to their armpits. The worse part was the fact that the same person doing this was also giving advice to other people.
    (\__/)