The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    lol, man you guyz kill me sometimes.

I almost wish I had a little camera that I could take to the gym and film people doing stupid stuff. Make a highlight video...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^^^^

That would be awesome.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Philippians 4:13
    Just take a look at my sig. You don't even have to take a video of stupid gym acts - those people make their own videos and proudly post it on the internet.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
    (")_(") to help him gain world domination.

There's a kid at my gym that does crunches on the incline bench. I told him that gravity is working for him and he should try the floor or decline bench, but he says its too hard.

Edit: I've also seen the same kid doing incline pec flies with no weight. He just lays there flapping his arms.
    Last edited by Hockey66; 10-21-2005 at 02:13 PM.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

There's a kid at my gym that does crunches on the incline bench. I told him that gravity is working for him and he should try the floor or decline bench, but he says its too hard.
    Yes...and building muscle is supposed to be an easy process.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 10-21-2005 at 02:12 PM.

Hockey66 that guy's stupidity shoud have earned him a beatdown or two if you ask me.

And those Diesel Weasel videos are alright, they make me cringe because I keep thinking they're gonna fail big time and injure themselves.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by gymnast
    Just take a look at my sig. You don't even have to take a video of stupid gym acts - those people make their own videos and proudly post it on the internet.
    http://www.strengthnews.net/media/ho...dlift_form.wmv

That's the worst thing I've ever seen.

My back hurts from watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey66
    http://www.strengthnews.net/media/ho...dlift_form.wmv

That's the worst thing I've ever seen.

My back hurts from watching it.
    That kid is a ****ing idiot. If he keeps that up, he's going to become paralyzed or something after breaking his spine.

Philippians 4:13
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    That kid is a ****ing idiot. If he keeps that up, he's going to become paralyzed or something after breaking his spine.
    I did some digging up, apparently that video was just a joke - a parody based on Diesel Weasel.

If you watch Diesel Weasel's deadlift videos you'll see that he rests the bar on his thighs and begins pulling from that position. He also rocks back and forth to gain momentum and you can also see his feet coming off the floor. An Ego lifter at his finest

You can search for his name on T-Nation and other bodybuilding forums and you'll see that Diesel doesn't take criticism that well

edit: found the thread http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...5282&pageNo=11

Theres more videos in that thread, and he also argues with people about how many pull-ups he can do but everybody can see that he does cheat-reps (not going all the way up and not going all the way down)
    Last edited by gymnast; 10-21-2005 at 04:31 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
    (")_(") to help him gain world domination.

Edit: I've also seen the same kid doing incline pec flies with no weight. He just lays there flapping his arms.
    Hey, gotta start somewhere.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

^^^^^

That's not really starting.

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Hey, gotta start somewhere.
    Yes, but he's been doing it for 3 months.

Gymnast that's a pretty funny thread. An ego lifter at its finest...
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Yes, but he's been doing it for 3 months.
    I guess some people LOVE not seeing progress.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    The thing I love about the guys who make up dumb shlt are the guys who make a whole routine based on these 'special' movements.

Thats the nice thing about spending a couple years on WBB you focus on the most basic things.

There was a guy in my gym who does leg press on a smith machine. He loads the bar about 405lbs with proceed on with vertical leg press for a few reps. IMO while this is not really stupid, I still feel that by doing that it's more of an ego training than leg training for him since there are 2 different kinda leg press machines available and truth is this guy can always SQUAT. Cuz in a gym like mine where Squatting 315lbs is an awesome feat (nice, but certainly not awesome), guess you are able to impress many folks when you can push weights with around 4 plates each side, regardless of what exercise you are doing.

Another wierd one I saw was a guy doing push ups on an assistance pull up/dip machine. I believed he raised the assistance (for his case, it's resistence) and perform push ups on it.

The worst one I ever seen is one old dude performing seated Chest Press on a Leg Press machine! It's basically a Seated Machine chest press with a swinging movement, but he did it on a Leg Press machine.. It looked kinda painly for the lower back too, and the best part is the trainer working at the gym could care less to throw the old man some advice.. My friend called that 'Chest on the Press' movement the 'Steel Palm Move'..

The worst one I ever seen is one old dude performing seated Chest Press on a Leg Press machine! It's basically a Seated Machine chest press with a swinging movement, but he did it on a Leg Press machine.. It looked kinda painly for the lower back too, and the best part is the trainer working at the gym could care less to throw the old man some advice.. My friend called that 'Chest on the Press' movement the 'Steel Palm Move'..
    It's probably not a good idea to do the wrong exercise on a machine that's meant to do something totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    Thats the nice thing about spending a couple years on WBB you focus on the most basic things.
    Unfortunately, two of the basic things people forget are grammar and capitalization!

Not you, though, Holto
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Worst exercise I've ever seen was this fellow on the triceps cable
    pushdown. First he would load it to its maximum weight. He would then stand in front of it as near as possible and grab on to the bar. So far so good. He would then breath deeply for a moment "psyching" himself up then yell and literally throw himself on top of the bar, using his entire bodyweight and a sharp yanking motion to push the bar down. I could only stand aghast waiting for him to tear something.

^ LOL @ the yell.

I know this doesn't QUITE fit into the subject but one thing that's been bugging me is the people on the ellipticals who are going REALLY quickly like they're super gnarly or something but for some reason never thought to maybe turn up the resistance...
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Oh, god, not the gym idiots. My favorites are usually the morons doing "Bicep Break Dance Curls." I keep waiting for them to start Moon Walking and flip up onto their heads and spin around. The other ones like to lean damn near completely horizontally into a OH tricep cable extension.

The ultimate though: at my old gym there was this guy that would come in with his girlfriend and they would do arobics exercises with dumbbells. The really funny part about it was when he was trying to do this one where he would lift the weight up to his hip, and then do an OH press, but pushing the weight diagonally across his body (i.e. push diagonally up from right side and end up where the left hand would normally be). Yeah, he would use weight that was too heavy for him so sometimes he would damn near fall over from the momentum...just lame.

People make up some really terrible exercises sometimes. I do also like the nubes that come into the gym and try and bench press as quickly as possible. They start pressing all fast, but one arm is so dominant that it causes the bar to go completely crooked and the weights wind up damn near sliding off the bar. The best part is their buddy just sits there and watches it slide down the bar or fall off completely. lol.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

the kid from oz
    i have a guy in my gym who refuses to have a spot when he does bench (which is all i ever see him doing) and one day he loaded up the bar with 240lbs and attempted a repetition but got it stuck and couldnt lift it, so i rushed over and gave him a hand with it. he got up and stormed off. came back about 5 mins later and went to go again, so i asked if he wanted a spot this time and he said no, so i went about my routine. once again. he couldnt push the weight up and another dude helped him up with it, and again got up stormed off, came back and tried again... what a surpirse couldnt lift it.. but this time, nobody helped him out, he rolled the bar down to his waist sat up, stood up and put the bar on the ground. he continued this and tried another THREE times with no spotter. i couldnt believe what i was seeing he couldve killed himself but still he didnt want a spot

when you see things like this, or you see people with poor form, what do you do? i often see people doing stupid exercises or with really poor form and im never sure whether i should go and say 'hey, you're doing it wrong' cos im pretty much just a kid.

Bigedge, when it's that bad, either do nothing or tell someone at the front desk. They sure the hell don't want someone killing himself. You might even get him kicked out and you'll have one less loser in the gym.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

3:16
    watching some one move his head back and forwards like a chicken/turkey while holding two dumbells.
    I think hes trying to do shrugs.

But got worst form ever.
    His calf raises has a bigger ROM than his squats!!!!
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.