The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    I'm really not going to respond to all this mainly b/c it is all coming down to you obviously having a greater knowledge of anatomy, me not offering a complete solution in the first place (which I never claimed to have offered), me agreeing with you on things, even if I did not initially present them, me offering a little personal experince, and you continuing to pick apart my posts as if I claimed to be the most skilled medical professional giving out advice that is in fact slightly incorrect.

So, seeing that I am missing a few pieces of information, please give the original poster a complete calf training lesson, and post some pics of your calves.

Also, I really don't see why you had the need to attempt to insult me.

....all that matters in the end anyway is that smalls agreed with what I initially posted. That is enough to satisfy me.

(also, the term I used, "plantar eversion," comes from an A&P textbook. My physical therapist brother also offered the fact that there are several different terms, meaning similar things for the things we have discussed. My apologies if these are not an adequate sources)
    Guilty as charged I was having way too much fun with an analogy that ends up accusing of someone having his mom wipe his butt. My apologies for getting carried away.

A "complete calf training lesson"? Here's something better -- principles for training the calves:
    1) The gastrocs are easy to neglect,
    so
    2) Targetting the gastrocs will improve the appearance of the calves greatly,
    and you can
    3) Target the gastrocs by
    a) concentrating on the negatives
    when
    b) doing a calf exercise where the knees are straight
    4) Pick your reps and sets based on how you like to train.

Quote Originally Posted by fattyniebs
    I find it somewhat humorous that you (bdckr) feel a sense of need and worth using this thread on calves as a tool to try and bring someone down on the "indepthness" of the technicality used to describe a method of calf training. I believe slim was graciously offering his experiences as an option to experiment and possibly allow the original thread starter to try out his techniques. Like slim said, he wasn't offering the "be all/ end all" answer to calf stimulation and by no means was he trying to write a book on anatomy and physiology. He was simply posting a technique that could be experimented with and possibly incorporated into someone's regimen. Why you feel this is an appropriate place to try and put someone down based on your knowledge with A&P terminolgy makes me feel you have some kind of egotistical issues lying beneath the surface that need to be addressed. Like slim said... I'd like to see your calves... being the "expert" that you are in calf training and stimulation. I'll be awaiting that post...

Slim, I'm with you all the way on this one.
    Sorry to disappoint you, fatty, but you'll be waiting a long time. Here's the thing: it doesn't matter how big slim's calves are. Really.

You've fallen into the same logical fallacy that convinces people that the biggest guy in the gym always knows what he's talking about when it comes to working out. Just because someone has big pecs doesn't mean he's right when he tells you how to work your "inner pecs." Just because someone is fat and heavy doesn't mean he is automatically an expert on gravity.

I don't doubt slim's good intentions. And it's great that you're so loyal to your pal. But he really isn't helping if he's convincing someone that ankle eversion while doing calf exercises will help.

If you're waiting for me to show you that I'm an expert, you'll be waiting a long time for that, too. I have no interest in convincing you or slim that I'm an expert. That's why all the links to reputable sources are there. Anyone inclined to read can learn for him/herself.

btw, my egotistical issues aren't "lying beneath the surface." I would have thought they should be pretty obvious to all. And they are being addressed. That's why I'm posting here

Quote Originally Posted by bdckr
    Sorry to disappoint you, fatty, but you'll be waiting a long time. Here's the thing: it doesn't matter how big slim's calves are.
    Right, we'll just ignore my crappy genetics and the fact that my calves have progressed immensely since doing it my "way."

You've fallen into the same logical fallacy that convinces people that the biggest guy in the gym always knows what he's talking about when it comes to working out. Just because someone has big pecs doesn't mean he's right when he tells you how to work your "inner pecs." Just because someone is fat and heavy doesn't mean he is automatically an expert on gravity
    Niebs knows this just as well as I do, and anyone who has enough experience in the gym....you're preaching to the choir on this one. His request to see pics of your calves is not necessarily a reflection of his "logical fallacy."

I still think you should post them.

That's why all the links to reputable sources are there. Anyone inclined to read can learn for him/herself.
    Just out of curiosity, does all your knowledge and training on this matter come from the 4 links you provided? Reading back, alot of your terminology/explanation comes almost verbatim from the text in those links.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 10-21-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fattyniebs
    I find it somewhat humorous that you (bdckr) feel a sense of need and worth using this thread on calves as a tool to try and bring someone down on the "indepthness" of the technicality used to describe a method of calf training. I believe slim was graciously offering his experiences as an option to experiment and possibly allow the original thread starter to try out his techniques. Like slim said, he wasn't offering the "be all/ end all" answer to calf stimulation and by no means was he trying to write a book on anatomy and physiology. He was simply posting a technique that could be experimented with and possibly incorporated into someone's regimen. Why you feel this is an appropriate place to try and put someone down based on your knowledge with A&P terminolgy makes me feel you have some kind of egotistical issues lying beneath the surface that need to be addressed. Like slim said... I'd like to see your calves... being the "expert" that you are in calf training and stimulation. I'll be awaiting that post...

Slim, I'm with you all the way on this one.
    Pretty much exactly how I feel. bdckr, why you felt the need to take your posts to such a hostile level is beyond me. Nothing anyone else posted warrented the type of BS you were spitting out. Nothing you stated was groundbreaking, in fact none of it seemed to be trying to help anyone, other than yourself. It's not even like one person was wrong or right, I mean correcting someone on the defenition of plantar when for all functional purposes they where correct is quite the self eqo stroke. But I think we should just let this one die and I will shut up.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Fat I have the same problem i think im getting a great workout, but im never soar! Thanks guys for the help you help out more people then you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    Fat I have the same problem i think im getting a great workout, but im never soar! Thanks guys for the help you help out more people then you know.
    Being "soar" is not an indication of a good workout. Sheeesh!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.