Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol - how detrimental is it?

Alcohol - how detrimental is it?

I think I read somewhere on this forum that Alcohol slows down protein synthesis, or something like that, can't quite remember.

I was just wondering what effects Alcohol had on the body, and how much it would effect my progress if I got tanked once in a while on the weekend. I meen, it's probably only a couple times a month, and the next day is usually a day off....

a few drinks here and there is not a problem.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Alright, that's some good news.

So I should just quite worrying about it, unless I become a drunk or something?

well a few is ok, sure, i go out for drinks and have a few but i don't like getting over the top drunk,tipsy yes.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Invain
    I think I read somewhere on this forum that Alcohol slows down protein synthesis, or something like that, can't quite remember.

I was just wondering what effects Alcohol had on the body, and how much it would effect my progress if I got tanked once in a while on the weekend. I meen, it's probably only a couple times a month, and the next day is usually a day off....
    the higher the BAC the lower serum test levels will fall. alcohol consumption also decrease serum GH and IGF-1. alcohol also inteferes with protein metabolism in the liver.

there isn't one good thing about regular alcohol consumption

Quote Originally Posted by LAM
    the higher the BAC the lower serum test levels will fall. alcohol consumption also decrease serum GH and IGF-1. alcohol also inteferes with protein metabolism in the liver.

there isn't one good thing about regular alcohol consumption
    yes, but having a few drinks a couple of times a month won't make a difference

gain 50lbs-Anthony

What Getfit said.

It's all in the habits you have. Having a few drinks on a Friday night is not going to kill your bodybuilding goals until and unless you get into the elite levels. However, drinking every day may have an impact on your goals depending on how much you drink. One beer or glass of wine is probably fine, if you have room for the calories in your eating plan. More than that begins to be a little dodgy.

The literature on what alcohol does in the body is quite abundant (although there is a lot of moralistic propaganda embedded in that literature, so read critically). While there is nothing intrinsincally wrong with alcohol consumption, you should know exactly what it is doing in your system, so that you can make an informed decision.

Getting drunk every day will be a big problem for your fitness goals. And there is also the danger of addiction. Alcohol addiction is nothing to be trifled with--it can be very strong and difficult to shake.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

Where you been LAM?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    yes, but having a few drinks a couple of times a month won't make a difference
    a couple of drinks isn't a problem but getting tanked a couple of times a month could be. getting a good drunk on can completely shut down anabolism for 2-3 days in a row. now multiply that by 3-4x a month. for a person who already has problems gaining LBM or losing bf regular consumption of alcohol could definetly cause training to stagnate.

I drink every once and a while but to me that means maybe 2-3x a year

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth
    Where you been LAM?
    I started working for myself over a year ago, haven't really had much time since then.

mm if you get drunk and are hungover the nextday the workouts gonna suck
    Last edited by tigo; 10-18-2005 at 04:40 PM.
    I don't have time. I make time.

a couple of drinks isn't a problem but getting tanked a couple of times a month could be. getting a good drunk on can completely shut down anabolism for 2-3 days in a row. now multiply that by 3-4x a month. for a person who already has problems gaining LBM or losing bf regular consumption of alcohol could definetly cause training to stagnate.

I drink every once and a while but to me that means maybe 2-3x a year
    i agree, i don't drink much unless i'm in company of friends, that would be maybe 3-5 drinks a month, or less even

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I had a beer last week. That was the last drink I've had since I think a shot of whiskey on Christmas. Only did that because of family tradition. Before that Thanksgiving was the last time.

Drinking is overrated.
    Nick V

I sort of agree. I'm a college student and I usually get drunk maybe once or twice a week and it hasnt done anything so far as limiting muscle growth or loosing body fat. I actually find I have better workouts after I drink.
    I got drunk a lot this summer and never once were my abs or lean mass ever altered. Dont sweat getting drunk with your buddies once in a while. Live life and have fun. Thats not to say get drunk every night. but gettin wasted in a friday nightwont hurt you all that much. Light beer or liquor and diet soda are a good choice if you do drink.

Yeah, I didn't plan on getting drunk every weekend. Maybe a casual drink once in a great while. I just wondered what the effects of getting totally plastered were.

a couple of drinks isn't a problem but getting tanked a couple of times a month could be. getting a good drunk on can completely shut down anabolism for 2-3 days in a row. now multiply that by 3-4x a month.
    you sure about that? I've gained 10-15 lbs of lean mass in a month where I was getting ****faced 2-3 times a week. and I am by no means cream of the crop genetics.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    you sure about that? I've gained 10-15 lbs of lean mass in a month where I was getting ****faced 2-3 times a week. and I am by no means cream of the crop genetics.
    10-15 lbs of LBM in one month would definitely put you in the cream of the crop as far as genetics go, unless you were a total beginner and suddenly started training hard and eating a ton. Even then it would take good genetics to pull off.

From what I read, experienced lifters who do their first 3 month test cycle are lucky to gain 10-15 lbs of LBM.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 10-18-2005 at 07:04 PM.

I plan to get drunk once a week or every other week on nights out with friends. I guess it can hamper my gains but this is my escape and chance to go out have fun, forget my worries and problems.

I feel guilty after this but its possible to make up for it. If im out I plan to get drunk, not the drunk falling over drunk hmmm. whats the difference between drunk and tipsy?

Basicly, I should'nt but I do. The world is full of sinners I have yet to meet a saint whos always right besides the customers at work who gain this status by existing grrrrrr.
    Stats

Researching starting in feb 2007 ready and knowledgeable

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Having alcohol in your lifetime causes one to lose the ability to use the search function.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Some people think it will help build muscles

cause then you get to have sex. =)

Philippians 4:13
    I thought I would post an article related to the topic:

So you workout regularly and like to consider yourself fairly health conscious when it comes to weightlifting and maintaining muscle mass. But despite all those big muscles, you have a weakness: you have a tendency to have one or two or six drinks every now and then. Probably most students can relate, but before you have that drink, there are a few things you should know about how it will affect the muscle you work so hard to keep. Is the booze really worth it?

As some may have experienced first hand, alcohol can have some serious ill effects on the body and muscles. It doesn't matter whether you drink occasionally or frequently, the intake of alcohol has adverse effects no matter what. Aside from dehydrating your body, flushing out the very water your muscle needs to survive, alcohol also decreases protein synthesis, another integral part of muscle growth and maintenance. Protein synthesis is a process that is necessary for the building of muscle cells. If this is decreased, your muscle building process will obviously slow down; therefore the hour in the gym before your drink may have been a waste of time.

As stated earlier, dehydration is another downside to alcohol. It can lead to muscle catabolism, which occurs when your body uses muscle cells as energy. You drink the booze and get dehydrated. Your muscle cells, which contain the most water out of any other cell in the body, get drained so your body can re-hydrate itself. As a result, muscle cells can no longer be used by your body for anything but energy. Therefore, the next time you get on the treadmill to do some cardiovascular activity, instead of burning those fat stores like you had intended, your water depleted muscle cells get burned as energy instead. This process happens so fast that simply drinking water after the booze goes down, isn't good enough.

Excessive alcohol consumption known as binging can also cause levels of testosterone to decrease and can increase levels of cortisol, which is a hormone that can destroy muscle. So, if you have been wondering why your hard work in the weight room just hasn't been paying off, it could very well be because you have been losing your muscle to alcohol and therefore, not realizing your muscles' full potential.

Anthony Ellis, author and columnist for Muscle Media on 15 Muscle-Building Rules for Skinny Guys, confesses the following in one of his earlier issues. By cutting out his alcohol intake completely and maintaining his routine, he was able to gain and maintain 15 extra pounds of muscle mass that he hadn't been able to do prior to drinking alcohol.

So the question posed to you is: what is more worth to you; the money you pay for protein and a gym pass, the time and energy you put into getting those bulging biceps, or the booze that steals your money and your muscles which leaves you with a headache, a foggy memory, and who knows what the next morning.

Is the booze really worth the loss?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
    (")_(") to help him gain world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnast

Is the booze really worth the loss?

Considering how at least 50% of the people on this board lift for the sole purpose of getting laid, I think the answer is yes.

I agree. Unless you make a living bodybuilding I find it pretty sad that a person may decide sit in on a friday/saturday night instead of going out with your buds to a party or bar and having a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk07
    I agree. Unless you make a living bodybuilding I find it pretty sad that a person may decide sit in on a friday/saturday night instead of going out with your buds to a party or bar and having a good time.
    I certainly think being anal about it is unhealthy and drinking now and then won't destroy your gains, but I disagree that drinking is required to have a good time. I have been in college for a long time now and the "We have to go out and get drunk!!" mentality starts getting really old. I'm not saying that you are like that, but I see so many people around here whose recreational life consists only of drinking and it just sucks!

Take it from someone who has maybe 40+ drinks per weekend, it slows progress whether you are cutting or bulking. It totally Fs your hormone levels, it totally Fs fat burning process, and totally Fs motivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarendol
    but I disagree that drinking is required to have a good time. I have been in college for a long time now and the "We have to go out and get drunk!!" mentality starts getting really old.
    I disagree. Does it get old? Yes. Does staying sober get older? By far.

Not to mention the fact that if I try to go out and not drink, my friends will have a field day with me. Obviously we hang out with different types of people, but I'm not about to distance myself from any of my friends because I want to get in shape faster.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics