The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift 1RM difference (overhand vs mixed grip)

For those of you who have an accurate idea because you actually tested this, what's the difference between your 1 rep max on conventional deadlifts using a) overhand grip, and b) mixed grip ?

Thanks
    Last edited by ufc2005; 10-21-2005 at 09:52 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The same for me - I could bang out additional reps w/ my 3-5RM, though, w/ mixed grip - but for 1rep, the same.

Mines quite a bit different as i cant get away with heavier weight on overhand grip i tend to loose the arch in my back
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

3:16
    i owuld ahve trouble doing more than one rep with overhand grip at around 352 pouns. while i can over 600 pound with mixed grip.
    but i do not pratcise over hand grips with heavy weight. just use them on light warm ups.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

My overhand pull gives out wherever my grip can not hold on anymore. For me, this is around 285~295ish. Mixed grip currently takes me up to 365. I also use straps with my mixed grip, which helps me fire out a few more reps. I find that with overhand, the bar likes to try and roll out and force my fingers open, even with straps on.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by body
    i owuld ahve trouble doing more than one rep with overhand grip at around 352 pouns. while i can over 600 pound with mixed grip.
    but i do not pratcise over hand grips with heavy weight. just use them on light warm ups.

That's quite a difference - 248 lbs?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Well, let's just put it this way...when I go really heavy, my grip will half of the time just barely hang on long enough. The other half of the time, my grip will be slipping.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba booey
    That's quite a difference - 248 lbs?
    probably about that then.

The bars have really poor grip. so it slide out my fingers.
    i get a bigger weight off the gorund, but it would start sliding out my hands so i have trouble with locking out.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by ufc2005
    For those of you who have an accurate idea because you actually tested this, what's the difference between your 1 rep max on conventional deadlifts using a) overhand grip, and b) mixed grip ?

Thanks
    I think my best 1RM on DL w. an overhand grip is around 340 - after that, the bar will slip out of my hands. My best DL in competition is 480 w. a mixed grip. With a mixed grip, grip is never an issue for me, even when doing rack pulls w. 500+.

So do you guys do your working sets with mixed or overhand grip? Which would you recommend? Im just going for mass, and ive never tried mixed. I read on here that some guy tore his bicep doing that, so i havent tried it. Does it straighten your back more?

Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    So do you guys do your working sets with mixed or overhand grip? Which would you recommend? Im just going for mass, and ive never tried mixed. I read on here that some guy tore his bicep doing that, so i havent tried it. Does it straighten your back more?
    For training, do as many sets as possible with an overhand grip. Switch to a mixed grip when necessary, and alternate mix-ed-ness.

Keep your arms STRAIGHT to protect your biceps.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by RBC13

mixed grip if using chalk only
    Do overhand grip if you gto straps.

I do overhand for all my sets, until it gets too weak to continue. Then, I switch to mixed. If I do several reps with mixed, I'll switch up the inverted hand since I tend to feel additional pressure in my back on the inverted side. I don't use straps or chalk at this point, so I can't comment on them.

I've pulled 300 pairly easy with standard grip. I've pulled 300 for ten reps with mixed grip. I've pulled a very easy 335 with a mixed grip. I really have no idea what my gap would be, though.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I just always use a mixed grip. Grip was never really a problem for me, though. I can hold onto 500+ for 6-8rep sets on shrugs without any grip problem at all. I'm guessing if I used an oh grip it would fail somewhere between 315 and 365 after like 4 deadlifts.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics