Thread: Shoulder Press vs. Military Press

Shoulder Press vs. Military Press

Well I guess you learn something new every day. According to exrx.net, Shoulder Press and Military Press are different. I know what you're thinking, "Duh Tim"! I just always thought that Military Presses were done while sitting, and Shoulder Presses were kind of a generic term for them. I could swear I hear people say "Standing Military Press". Oh well, doesn't matter. So when you guys/girls say you're doing Military Press, are you actually doing them while standing? Or are you in the same boat with me?
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Banned
    You can do military presses sitting or standing. Military press is done with a barbell and shoulder press is done with dumbells.

squat it all!
    i seem to get a slight pain in my lower back if i do them seated, so i prefer standing military press. i have an easier time unracking the bar in a power or squat rack while standing than i do with a seated military press rack (or whatever they're called).
    always hungry...

Millie press means standing feet together. Well at least back in the day, now people use it for both sitting and standing. So when someone does it correct with standing form they will most likely put standing as it is much harder than sitting..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

A military press usually refers to standing barbell pressing. A strict military press refers to feet together. A shoulder press is a generic term for overhead pressing without assist, but usually refers to a seated overhead press, whether dumbbells or barbell. ExRx's examples are the common conception.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

So it sounds like I wasn't too off base with my thinking. I've tried standing military press, but my lower back wasn't too accepting. Too many injuries in the past I'm guessing, because the weight was light.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    So it sounds like I wasn't too off base with my thinking. I've tried standing military press, but my lower back wasn't too accepting. Too many injuries in the past I'm guessing, because the weight was light.
    Also, DB shoulder pressing is MUCH friendlier on your back, opposed to BB shoulder pressing, because you do not have to keep moving your head out of the way of the bar every rep.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log