Thread: Advice on possible overkill

Wannabebig New Member

Advice on possible overkill

I just got back into training after a 2 1/2 year layoff, due to a severe back injury (nerve damage), and I tried to get into my old routine too quickly. My first session went great, but my last 2 sessions were a major set back. I was having trouble lifting weight that I easily lifted only a week earlier. I noticed during my light stretching that my pecs and tri's were very tight, and I even had slight pain(tightness) when I brought the bar down to my chest, with no weight on it. Any thoughts on this, and how do I go about overcoming this. I guess it's been a long time since I had to start out from scratch. Oh yeah, losing 100 pounds on my bench was depressing. Just so you know, legs really aren't an option for me. I am not paralysed, but the damage to my nerves doesn't allow me to do much without major pain. Upper body is just fine though.

I think that will be soreness due to not working the muscles in a long time. Give it a few weeks if the problem is still their then get back to us and have a rething
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Are you doing a couple warmup sets at all?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig New Member
    Yeah, but I have been getting tired easily, even on the lighter weights.

It sounds like you're jumping into it way too fast. Take a couple of weeks and just stretch out, do some pushups/situps and some bodyweight exercises. Then move into weights slowly. Light weights for whatever set/rep scheme you are planning. Stick with that for about 4 weeks before increasing weight. By that time, your body should be ready to lift again. It sounds like you just need a little conditioning work to get your body used to moving and lifting again. Be patient, it will come back.

I remember trying to come back from a serious injury. For about 6 months I was relegated to doing stupid bs like hip abduction and 3lb curls. But it was worth it, because I was pushing maximal weights again much sooner than I would have been had I just waited it out and then jumped into it.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220