Thread: Workout routine / split advice needed!

One Happy Guy.

Workout routine / split advice needed!

Hope I've got the right section this time!

I work out in a small town gym, and my workout buddy has had some stuff go down, and he's got to change the time that he works out.

Presently, we work out 4 times a week together for about an hour - 1.25 hours per session (cardio afterwards discluded). Ususally we start just after supper. Now he's got about 45 minutes in the middle of the day that he can work out.

Normally, the split (I think the term is), would be Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Shoulders, and Legs. Is it possible to split a workout to be like chest for 40 - 45 minutes, and then triceps a few hours later for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes? Same with the back & Bi work out?

I seem to recall hearing how your body will only enter the anabollic state for about an hour, and after that you're just wasting time. Would that hold true for splitting up the workout like this?

Seems to me, that the best part of working out chest/tri's, is that the triceps got tired from helping the chest out when benching etc. Let's say I was to do the chest routine and then do Tri's later on, I'm guessing I'd have to do the Tris a lot harder/more exercise to get the same results. Is that correct?

Any help that you can provide would be excellent.

Thanks, Brad.

If you hit your back/chest hard enough there would be no need to come back for a bicep/tricep session later. You will overtrain coming back later.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Yeah Cpt. BR Hay (LOL what kinda name is this?) I've found that one really doesn't need to do that many sets in order to see results. Just hit it hard while you're in there (this doesn't mean to take short rests between sets, make sure you get enough rest) and you shouldn't need to come back.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

IMO, perform heavy compound lifts, and the rest will take care of itself. As these guys said, if you hit it hard for the larger muscle groups, you will be fine. Also, you don't have an entire day devoted to your delts, do you? They are among the smallest muscles in the body.

I would suggest an upper/lower split, hitting each muscle group 2xper week. 45 mins is plenty - try this link, Anti Bodybuilding Hypertrophy, by Chad Waterbury - you'll easily be out of the gym in plenty of time - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=459341

One Happy Guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba booey
    IMO, perform heavy compound lifts, and the rest will take care of itself. As these guys said, if you hit it hard for the larger muscle groups, you will be fine. Also, you don't have an entire day devoted to your delts, do you? They are among the smallest muscles in the body.

I would suggest an upper/lower split, hitting each muscle group 2xper week. 45 mins is plenty - try this link, Anti Bodybuilding Hypertrophy, by Chad Waterbury - you'll easily be out of the gym in plenty of time - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=459341

Forgot to check this post for awhile, thanks for all of the good advice guys!

Take care, Brad.