Thread: milk vs water

milk vs water

hello. i want to know if i hadt he choic of whether to drink milk or water...

which should i drink?

i know that im suppoesd to drink 1 gallon of wtaer a day...but if im drinking 1 gallon fo water a day and upwards of 1 gallon of milk a day..thats way too much for me.

so what's the optimal combination if i want to drink maybe a gallon of fluid a day?

does the benefits of the calories of milk outweigh the benefits of the water?

No you should have the gallon of water a day no matter what. The use milk with your food to meet you calorie intake for the day
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

I'm in the same boat. I usually drink about 4L of milk and 2L of water each day. On training days I'll drink another 1L of water during training.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Isnt milk 90% water... so you would still be getting enough water in if you drank alot of milk.

# Keeps You Hydrated - Milk is 90 percent water so it can help provide fluid to keep you hydrated. - http://www.whymilk.com/facts_fuel.htm

Nothing is comparable to water. Drink the gal a day of water and drink milk whenever you want.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Gradually drink more and more each day. Your stomach will eventually get used to more food and water.

Milk is over 80% water as stated so saying you NEED a gallon of water in addition is silly and unsubstantiated.

One has carbs and protein, thus calories so if your trying to put on muscle I'm not understanding where the confusion is coming from. Milk.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

soda is 80% water, would you suggest drinking that instead?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I'm in the same boat. I usually drink about 4L of milk and 2L of water each day. On training days I'll drink another 1L of water during training.
    What % Anthony??

Right now it's 2%, but I've used whole milk in the past.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by ryan9
    Isnt milk 90% water... so you would still be getting enough water in if you drank alot of milk.
    nope. milk contains calories and elicits a very large insulin response so to your body it is exactly the same as eating a solid food item.

Quote Originally Posted by LAM
    nope. milk contains calories and elicits a very large insulin response so to your body it is exactly the same as eating a solid food item.
    Got Liquid meat?
    *blood covered grin*

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Right now it's 2%, but I've used whole milk in the past.
    I have been rotating every other week with 2% and whole. The weeks I use whole, I gain too much if I am not careful.

Banned
    organic whole milk is fantastic.. it is a little pricey, so if youre under financial stress it might not be for you but if you can afford $4/half gallon damn its worth it

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    organic whole milk is fantastic.. it is a little pricey, so if youre under financial stress it might not be for you but if you can afford $4/half gallon damn its worth it

wow man, I pay $3.25 for a half gallon of horizon organic whole milk and I thought I was getting ripped off, what brand are you buying?

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    soda is 80% water, would you suggest drinking that instead?

It would aid in gaining muscle more than water. Suggesting you need a gallon of water in addition to a gallon of milk is completely unnecassary. Also soda has other things that could impact your hydration status that milk does not.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

I drink pretty close to a gallon of each. It is deffinetly possible.

I drink milk with all meals and water when I'm not eating. Milk is not particularly filling, and water is even less so.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I dont see why you guys drink whole milk or 2%. I like fat free better. Too much saturated fat and cholesterol in whole.

Too much for what? For who. Why is 5grams of saturated fat bad? Personally I like skim also, just cuz I like that taste and it's easier to drink more. But nothing wrong with 2% if it's in your caloric goals.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    I dont see why you guys drink whole milk or 2%. I like fat free better. Too much saturated fat and cholesterol in whole.

Ya I should really start drinking something that is not only less effective for my goals of weight gain, but also tastes disgusting. Fat free milk is little more than white water.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    wow man, I pay $3.25 for a half gallon of horizon organic whole milk and I thought I was getting ripped off, what brand are you buying?
    its like $3.45 for horizon here

i was just rounding up