The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cytogainer vs Whey + Malto/Dext

I have been working out for 9 months now and not really gained any significant mass. I started working out I was pudgy 170 , got down to 150 within a couple of months at least , but after a good 6 months I weigh 158 , really lean and tone , but not as much mass I would like. I was recently schooled saying that you need complex carbs , ie. maltodextrins so that when you work out you will burn those complex carbs while preserving muscle. Until recently all I had been concentrating on my protein intake , that's all , with little or no regard to carbs , complex or the like. First of all is this correct , secondly is Cytogainer a good" all in 1" substitute or should I buy my normal whey protein and then by maltodextrin in bulk. Any insight would be appreciated.

ps. I am starting to add natty pb and a tblspn of olive oil to my diet , for the fat , so I think I have got that covered . I was ignoring that as well , under the assumption any fat is bad fat , now I know that to be false as well.
    33years old , 5'10" , 174lbs
    - Fail to Plan , Plan to Fail

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Okay, first off - it's not so you burn the complex carbs that you need them. The big deal post workout is the insulin response - your have preferential nutrient partioning toward muscle post workout because, well, you just wrecked 'em and you need to get stuff into 'em fast so they heal and grow. Hence the post workout malto/dex (creates the insulin response) and whey (protein gets shuttled into the muscle cells with sugar and insulin).

Fats are very important - not only for the calories, but for the endocrine (read: testosterone) support. Make sure you get in healthy natural saturated fats too, such as butter and egg yolks.

I don't know what is in cytogainer. Stick to artificially sweetened whey in a flavour you like, buy dextrose and malto at a u-brew. Add the sugars to your post workout shake - the others can get powdered oats and or fats such as peanut butter and olive oil.

Are you tracking your food on fitday? If not, start. You're going to have to eventually - might as well do it now.

Edited to add: Okay, just looked up "Cytogainer".

It's an expensive way to take whey (cheap), dextrose/maltodextrin (dirt cheap), creatine monohydrate (also cheap), and a B-vitamin (cheap).

Make your own shakes from the individual components. Cheaper, and you have more control over what you're taking.

Thanks built , I knew you would probably know.
    I already have generic GNC whey , Creapure (Creatine and Glutamine powder) , so I kind of figured that buying the maltodextrin in bulk would be the way to go , just wanted to get conformation.
    So butter and egg yolks as well , I can do that. When would you recommend consuming the fats. Spread throughout the day , or all pre or post workout. Sorry about the basic questions , I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.
    I eat pretty healthy , so I normally don't track my intake (that's my lame excuse), but your right, I need to so that I make sure I get the correct amounts and ratios.

You really do have to track if you want to reach your physique goals. It's a PITA initially, after a few weeks it takes you about a minute to plan out your day.

Finish the creatine you have, then ditch the glutamine - there's plenty in the whey. You don't need the extra. Creatine monohydrate is cheap, and it's all you need for this.

Get your fats higher as the day progresses. What time of the day do you train?

due to work constraints I workout prior to bed time , sometimes as late as 1:00am. Except on the weekends where I workout in the middle of the day.

Ah.

I train in the evening, too, but not quite that late. I also can literally eat all day long, so I rely on fats for appetite control.

So, okay. Try this: trickle your fats in with your meals through the day. Post-workout should be your whey and dextrose/malto with creatine.

If you have the calories and the room in your stomach before you sleep, eat some cottage cheese with natural peanut butter (it's awesome on apple chunks) before you go to bed.

Could that work?

For the weekends where you train earlier in the daytime, put the majority of your fats into the meals at the end of the day.

I will have to buy regular cottage cheese , all I have is the non fat , I am assuming regular cottage cheese is what I am after.
    I like apple chunks , I like natty pb , and I like cottage cheese...I just don't know if I will like them alltogether
    I don't mind eating after a workout even when it's that late , in fact I am always famished after working out , so that won't be a problem.

ps. thanks for all the good info
    Last edited by Lean-N-Mean; 10-30-2005 at 01:22 AM.

No, non-fat is fine.

I get lowfat protein sources, and add in the fats as I need them.

Try the apple with peanut butter. It's totally to die for. Salted peanut butter, of COURSE! My personal fave is Adams crunchy.... mmmm... peanut butter.... <drifts off into fantasy land....>

okay I am with you now. Apples and natty peanut butter = I like. I for some reason like them with Granny Smith apples the most. I could throw some peaches in my cottage cheese , but 99.9% of the time I just throw a little black pepper on it.
    Last edited by Lean-N-Mean; 10-30-2005 at 01:30 AM.

thanks again Built for your help , time to get some sleep , so I havesome energy to watch football tomorrow.

Wannabebig Member
    Also you said after 6 months you have only gained 9 pounds of mass, I think you really need to eat ALOT more food than you are. Read the thread "what a bodybuilder eats" and try find an example of what some of the others here eat in just one day. You will probably need to eat atleast 3500 calories if not more in a day so put your food intake into fitday asap to see what you're getting at the moment.

You need to eat more.

In terms of a protein supplement you need Opticen. It is a better product for your goals than either of the two you mentioned and we are having a 15% off sale so you will get a screaming deal.

www.atlargenutrition.com

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by basix
    Also you said after 6 months you have only gained 9 pounds of mass, I think you really need to eat ALOT more food than you are. Read the thread "what a bodybuilder eats" and try find an example of what some of the others here eat in just one day. You will probably need to eat atleast 3500 calories if not more in a day so put your food intake into fitday asap to see what you're getting at the moment.
    I tried eating more , but I was going about it all wrong. I think now I have a better understanding of when ,what and how much to eat. I guess when I started out I really wanted to get lean. So I limited what and how much I ate , and when I reached that goal , I guess I maybe got a little scared of gettng "fat" again , so when I started trying to put on mass I guess I was half assing it.
    I think my body was so conditioned to getting 2k-2500 cals a day that when I did try to jack it up to 3500 I felt like I was gourging myself. I guess maybe I should try in small steps , 2750 , 3k , 3250...etc
    But my goals have changed , I want to see 165-175 with the same or lower bf% , right now I am 14%. I know I can achieve those #'s , I just want it a little quicker. Maybe I'll have a pint of hagen-dazs a day , I think that has 1200 calories .
    Last edited by Lean-N-Mean; 10-30-2005 at 09:30 AM.