Thread: Guides to olympic and classical weightlifting

Guides to olympic and classical weightlifting

Inspired by fixationdarkness's interest in olympics lifting

I like these Flash guides/history of oympic lifting:
    http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/

and classical "odd" lifts:
    http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/
    including weird one handed lifts, two-man lifts, crucifix lifts, anyhows, swings, etc.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Sweet. Those sites are pretty cool. That 2-man deadlift looked sweet lol.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Awesome links, I hope more people here start payin attention to olympic lifting. By the way Mix, do you know what the rate of injury was with the old-school hyperextending press? It seems like if you had extremely strong abs/core it would be a 'fairly' safe exercise... Alexeev did it with 517lbs.... WTF! What a freak, he could press a large man with each arm.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

I can't imagine that the "Russian press" was particularly conducive to a healthy back in any circumstances.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I can't imagine that the "Russian press" was particularly conducive to a healthy back in any circumstances.
    True, I'd never risk it... but think about it, to do it your abs would be doing the job of a bench in an incline press(w/ the belt helping a bit); that's some serious core strength!

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    True, I'd never risk it... but think about it, to do it your abs would be doing the job of a bench in an incline press(w/ the belt helping a bit); that's some serious core strength!
    Yes. I posit that Alexeyev had the strongest "core" of any athlete ever, as demonstrated by this lift alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Yes. I posit that Alexeyev had the strongest "core" of any athlete ever, as demonstrated by this lift alone.
    Agreed. People said that even though his gut stuck out really far, it was rock hard all the time.

thanks for those sites!! i've been looking for guides that that!