The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My hands are frigging killing me...any suggestions?

My hands are just begining to rip apart on heavier lifts. It's getting to the point where it's REALLY affecting my cleans and deadlifts. I can't domore than 3-4 reps on deadlifts above 300lbs without having to stop and reposition. That or I have to rap the bar with a wash cloth.

I went out and got a climber's chalk ball and I'm going to start using that tomorrow. Any other suggestions? My biggest problems is the callusses (sp?) on the palm side of where my fingers meet my palm are begining to roll and tear and it hurts like a mother. Thanks for any help.
    22 y/o out of Puget Sound area of Washington
    6'2", 205 and putting on

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Other than using chalk, be sure to trim back your calluses a little every once in a while so that they don't roll back like that. I know that you can buy callus shavers and callus conditioning kits to prevent what you are discribing. I'm too lazy to do that. I just pick and peel off a few layers after showering about once a week, Or I cut them and pick at them with my nail clippers. It sounds gross, but it is effective.

I cut on them regularly. I work in a wharehouse and the cardboard dries my hands out and leaves monster callusses. Any gloves or taping you might reccomend?
    6'2", 205 and putting on

Do as much as you can with bare hands, then maybe switch to straps.

LEt me tell you man, when I get to 315+ on my deadlifts, the bar simply rips my calluses off and just bleeds. Straps solve this problem wonderfully. No rough surface to rip skin off.

Apparently, if moisturize your hands, you keep the callouses down to a minimum. Well, according to Mixmasternash (he's recommended this quite a few times). I recommend trimming them and then using a pumice stone. Has worked well for me.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb, but what do you mean by "straps" ? On your hand, the bar, what?
    6'2", 205 and putting on

I had this problem, no bleeding for me but just pain that wouldnt let me grip tightly/properly. I got versa grips and they have been awesome so far
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

you may look a lil gay, but how come nobody has said gloves?
    For some, Kryptonite doesn't exist......

Pledge allegiance to the Nation of Pump!!
    November 2007 Stats
    255 lbs
    320 Bench
    525 Squat
    550 Dead lift

Quote Originally Posted by XxDeanerxX
    Becuase with gloves on you can't grip the bar good enough to hold 300+lbs up.

I've been deadlifting with straps for like 2 years. The first day I used them I could pull 4 or 5 more reps of my max weight. My grip just simply didn't hold up. With bare hands I could maybe pull 315 for a few but I doubt it, with straps I've pulled 405 x 2 @ 165.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by XxDeanerxX
    Because this is the powerlifting forum and powerlifters aren't allowed to use gloves.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Apparently, if moisturize your hands, you keep the callouses down to a minimum. Well, according to Mixmasternash (he's recommended this quite a few times). I recommend trimming them and then using a pumice stone. Has worked well for me.
    I can vouch for the moisturize...

I do MA, weight training doing some massage work as well, gotta keep my hands soft.

Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    I can vouch for the moisturize...
    :withstupi

And file the heck out of your callouses. I actually clip them with a nail cutter after a take a shower and the skin is soft. I've found that straps actually make bigger callouses than just gripping the bar.

Wannabebig Member
    Please don't use straps on deadlifts if you are having trouble holding onto 315-405. You will never be able to deadlift a lot of weight unless you let your grip get stronger too. It may take a little bit longer to move up in weight, but in the end it will be worth it. As for the hands, just use sand paper. I take sandpaper to my hands once a week and have never had any problems with farmers walk, heavy holds etc...
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds." - Henry Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cardoza
    Please don't use straps on deadlifts if you are having trouble holding onto 315-405. You will never be able to deadlift a lot of weight unless you let your grip get stronger too. It may take a little bit longer to move up in weight, but in the end it will be worth it. As for the hands, just use sand paper. I take sandpaper to my hands once a week and have never had any problems with farmers walk, heavy holds etc...
    Wait a sec, what's this gentleman from your website using then?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AstronautJones
    Wait a sec, what's this gentleman from your website using then?
    He didn't say never use straps. He meant that if you're deadlifting small weight like sub-405, then you can easily improve your grip without resorting to straps.

If you start using the straps that early, they'll become a crutch.

-galileo

Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    He didn't say never use straps. He meant that if you're deadlifting small weight like sub-405, then you can easily improve your grip without resorting to straps.

If you start using the straps that early, they'll become a crutch.
    Ah okay that makes sense.

Wannabebig Member
    That is either 860 lb's which I got, or 900 lb's which I missed can't tell from the pic. I think you might understand why at a Strongman competition straps would be an exception. When I am at the gym I only use straps once I get over 500lb's unless my grip is spent from doing farmers the day before or something.
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds." - Henry Rollins

Nice. Cool site/pics, btw.

"Please don't use straps on deadlifts if you are having trouble holding onto 315-405. You will never be able to deadlift a lot of weight unless you let your grip get stronger too. It may take a little bit longer to move up in weight, but in the end it will be worth it. As for the hands, just use sand paper. I take sandpaper to my hands once a week and have never had any problems with farmers walk, heavy holds etc..."

The problem isn't a physical lack of strength or that my hands are getting tired, it's that the bar just rips the hell out of my hands to the point they bleed. I think I'll try that sandpaper idea, my girlfriend will probably thank me anyway, she's always nagging me about how rough my hands are. If that doesn't work, I'll hunt down some straps.

Any Wa****onians have suggestions on where to find those in the Puget Sound area?

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.
    6'2", 205 and putting on

Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    By the by, when was under 405 considered small? Man, I got a lot of work to do!
    Last edited by maverick9614; 12-10-2004 at 01:31 AM.
    6'2", 205 and putting on

Quote Originally Posted by maverick9614
    By the by, when was under 405 considered small? Man, I got a lot of work to do!
    Edit: I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm just pointing it out in relation to the grip-strength issue.

In relation to grip strength it is. Assuming the lifter is an average-sized adult male (20 years old, 218 pounds) then probably you won't have too much trouble training your grip so as to hold a deadlift until you get well over 550-600 pounds.

At that point it'll start coming down to specific training, hand size, things like that.

405 is usually very attainable for someone who is training for the deadlift.

I did, however, misunderstand your original question. I'd agree with the sandpaper approach or getting one of those callous removers (sort of like a big emory board) from the cosmetics/bath section. Sand down the callouses after you get out of the shower.
    Last edited by Isaac Wilkins; 12-10-2004 at 06:59 AM.

-galileo

lol @ "Wa****onians" ... gotta love the swear filter. Anyway, this topic has been discussed before, but I agree with sandpaper - works wonders.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    The girlfriend was always an issue for me too. Anything silky at all panties, bra etc... Always ruined as soon as I got the palm of my hand on them. I started with a nail file and then realized they wear out too fast, thats where the sandpaper came in. My training partner John just wrote a great article on grip training, you should check it out.

http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?t...ticle&i=13&a=3