Thread: If You Have to Workout without a Partner...

Wannabebig Member

If You Have to Workout without a Partner...

I know it's not in someone's best interest to do, say, bench without a partner. I searched and couldn't find a thread about this, but perhaps I didn't search hard enough. What would be a good alternative to bench, since I may not be able to work out with a partner?

Dave

Ask someone else there to spot you.
    Nick V

:withstupi

I lift alone unless I'm going for a max on bench or something.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Do you usually do bench by yourself? Or would it be safer to use dumbells? I usually don't have a problem with bench, but you know, better safe than sorry. Also, I am going to begin following the WBBI workout. It doesn't say anything about maxing out or what weight I should begin with. Advice?

Bench in a power rack.

Wannabebig Member
    The weight room doesn't have one. I lift at a college weight room, and I go to a fairly small NAIA college, so needless to say, they don't have the most up to date machines.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyheaddave
    The weight room doesn't have one. I lift at a college weight room, and I go to a fairly small NAIA college, so needless to say, they don't have the most up to date machines.
    I'm sorry, but that's horrible... I think you better make some lifting friends or get used to always doing a little less than you could and/or using DBs...

Whats wrong with my advice? I almost never workout with a parnter. On my last set I just ask someone for a spot. It's just common gym ettiquette.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    Oh, nothing's at all wrong with your advice, I just like to consider all options. I have no problem asking someone to spot. It's just sometimes I workout at 10 or 11 in the AM and most people have class then and the weight room can be empty. That's why I wanted to hear more options.

I agree w. you. I was just assuming he was alone...

Wannabebig Member
    Hey, thanks for all the help.

Wannabebig Member
    Also, with me doing to WBBI workout routine, should I max out on everything and then go from there? And if so, what percentage of weight should I do during the 2 sets? It doesn't really specify in the routine. That, and I haven't really lifted since my senior year of high school baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyheaddave
    Hey, thanks for all the help.
    Well, I don't know what kind of advice you were expecting exactly... There is no good substitute for bench pressing. DBs are not bad, but not the same either. An overhead press is also not bad, but not a substitute.

Without a spot or a rack, you can't really bench heavy safely. If it were me, I'd be looking for a partner or a new gym, or I'd be buying these: http://newyorkbarbells.com/93015.html

You could always do the same thing as the "eyes are bigger than my chest" guy who just rolls the bar down his body when he can't get rerack it.

(Just to be clear, don't actually try this)
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I train alone in a home gym, no need or will for a partner. I always feel completely safe and in control of the weights I use, and am maximally stimulated by them. I concentrate on dead-on form, complete muscle contraction concentration, focus heavily both on the positive and eccentric parts of the movement, and NEVER lock out ANY movement/keep muscle stimulated at ALL parts of movement. This all allows me to use far less weight and get just as good or greater a workout. If you don't feel safe under the weight you are trying to press, and in total control, then obviously you can't handle the load and need to use less weight.

if no ones around their to spot or even get a chance to spot, just dont train til failure or max out. theirs always a next time, right?

however, mistakes do happen. only thing i could think right now is placing wood blocks on your chest. if you happen to fail, rest the bar on the wood blocks and push it back up.

go light.

If some1 is their to spot you do BB if their isnt do DB
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Well, I don't know what kind of advice you were expecting exactly... There is no good substitute for bench pressing. ...
    ]
    Actually that is not quite accurate. Weighted dips are an excellent substitute and will work the same muscles. In addition to that you do not need a partner to do weighted dips.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-27-2005 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Actually that is not quite accurate. Weighted dips are an excellent substitute and will work the same muscles. In addition to that you do not need a partner to do weighted dips.
    Dips are a great exercise. Definately not a replacement, but definately a good substitute. Good call.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-27-2005 at 07:52 AM.

I lift alone, always have. If I need a spot, I ask someone but make damn sure to explain how you want to be spotted.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

PoutineEh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Bench in a power rack.
    thats what i do and i like it. i position the (saftey?) bars so they are about an inch or two off my chest. and if there comes a time i cant rack the bb, i can let it rest on the safety bars and roll the bb away from me so i can situp
    this and dumbells if you cant get a spotter
    Last edited by PoutineEh; 10-27-2005 at 09:01 AM.