Thread: Don't want to do dead lifts

Hybrid View

Don't want to do dead lifts

I don't want to do deadlifts because they seem to build big traps, and my traps are already big enough, too big almost. I am looking for a well proporionted body, and aesthetically speaking, IMHO, nothing ruins a good looking body like big traps. Believe me I know what I like the look of, and I know my traps don't need to grow anymore until I have an extra 7 inches on my chest. In other words the rest of my upper body needs to catch up.
    However I do like deads for all their other uses, perhaps they don't affect your traps too much, I'm not experienced enough to know. Of course I do squats also, but I miss the deadlift rush. Would it be worth substituting with good mornings.
    Any advice?

I say just do deads, if they make your traps bigger it's going to make other things bigger too, so you'll still probably look in the same proportion if you work out your other muscles correctly.

Do deads.

Your body will naturally become more proportionate as you add more size/mass.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

i love big traps.... and yeah deads do stimulate the traps, but I dont think they hit them enough to throw your physique off.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

how big are your traps.. post a pic. You can never have too big of anything...I'd call it a head start. =)

Replace them with power cleans. Those do nothing for your traps.

great excuse.

the trap only stablizes during a deadlift. your targeting mainly your glutes on the deadlift, traps are involved, but not enough to train deads for.

i say do them, or at the least, moderate weight deads

You can do good mornings, glutle ham raises, pull throughs, various leg curls, etc.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg