Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Skin from Showering(?)

Dry Skin from Showering(?)

Okay I've been having problems keeping my skin from getting very dry after/due to showering.

Usually I shower once or twice a day (morning and night time, but sometimes just night time...). Now my skin always seems to get really dry from the shower. I usually have the water on pretty high heat, does that affect the dyness of my skin? Also I was wondering if it might be something about the barsoap I use (Oil of Olay) but I doubt it would be that. Every once in a while my scalp gets dry also which can cause dandruff which is super annoying.

I live in Southern California so it can get pretty dry in general but what else can I do to prevent this dryness from happening in the first place (since my usual remedy is just some moisturizing lotion but I'd prefer not having dry skin and scalp in the first place)?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

do you moisturize after you shower?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Yeah I sometimes much have to or my face is just too dry for comfort. I'd just prefer it if I didn't have to in the first place ya know?
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

vit e is good but i find Nivea bodylotion and Curel very good for dry skin
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Are you getting enough fat in your diet fatrb? My skin got a LOT better once I upped my fats.

As far as moisturizers are concerned, my fave is Aveeno Daily Moisturizer - cheap, no funky fragrance, and works like a hot damn. Put it on while your skin is still damp from the shower.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Also I was wondering if it might be something about the barsoap I use (Oil of Olay) but I doubt it would be that.
    That actually prevents me from having dry skin. It has lotion in the bar, so I don' see how that could be the cause. Unless you have some kind of reaction to that soap.

As far as moisturizers are concerned, my fave is Aveeno Daily Moisturizer - cheap, no funky fragrance, and works like a hot damn.
    Um...I started using the Aveeno lotion and that stuff keeps the skin moisturized like all day. It's like nothing I've ever seen.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Turn the water temperature down, and don't stay in the shower for half an hour

And try to only shower once a day.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Okay I've been having problems keeping my skin from getting very dry after/due to showering.
    You may have "hard water"- have your system checked.

From some hard water treatment site:
    "What is hard water?
    Water described as "hard" is high in dissolved minerals, specifically calcium and magnesium. Hard water is not a health risk, but a nuisance because of mineral buildup on fixtures and poor soap and/or detergent performance." To add to that, hard water has been attributed to dry skin (heard that from some expert guy).

Usually I shower once or twice a day (morning and night time, but sometimes just night time...). Now my skin always seems to get really dry from the shower. I usually have the water on pretty high heat, does that affect the dyness of my skin?
    Most definitely. The hotter the water temperature the more oils will be stripped off your skin. The moisturizing soaps you may be using will probably be more effective if you make the water warm/hot, as opposed to very hot, allowing the moisturizers they deposit to actually stay on your skin. I am not a fan of bar soap- I find that liquid body wash does a much better job of keeping my skin from drying out. Try Dove Moisturizing Body Wash (or whatever the heck it's called). Invest in a pouf and lather up.

Also I was wondering if it might be something about the barsoap I use (Oil of Olay) but I doubt it would be that.
    I don't have very much experience with different body cleansers- I'm extremely happy with Dove. It's probably the only generic cleanser I use in the shower.

Every once in a while my scalp gets dry also which can cause dandruff which is super annoying.
    Selsun Blue or Head & Shoulders. Keep a bottle at home for emergencies. (I hear Head & Shoulders also kills monstrous uber-fast evolving aliens).

What kind of shampoo and conditioner do you use on a regular basis and how frequently do you shampoo? Are you using a shampoo/conditioner combo? It may serve you well to not shampoo daily (every other day should be enough).

I live in Southern California so it can get pretty dry in general but what else can I do to prevent this dryness from happening in the first place (since my usual remedy is just some moisturizing lotion but I'd prefer not having dry skin and scalp in the first place)?
    I've found salvation in lower water heat and higher quality products. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 10-27-2005 at 03:34 PM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Wow thanks guys.
    a.) I don't think it would be hard water because I'm in the dorms and I would think that too many people would be complaining of it.
    b.) I'm using Pantene Pro-V (I just took it from my home in SD when I left) "Full & Thick: Builds strength and fullness into thin/thinning hair"
    Well the thinning hair thing really isn't a problem for me but it definitely doesn't have the words "moisturizing" on it or anything.
    c.) The water temperature that I shower in, if anything, is probably a lot warmer than it should be. And yes my showers are probably quite a bit longer than the average person's. I'm sorry but long hot showers are definitely enjoyable. Of course dry skin is not so that factor is easy to change and I'll try it.
    d.) I shampoo every time I shower (usually either once or twice a day). I only use conditioner on special occasions like when I'm planning on going out for the night. When I use conditioner it gets really really soft which I like and the chicks like but I've noticed that if I use it all the time it just isn't the same ya know?
    e.) I might try not shampooing every time but I swear that makes my hair feel weird so that might be last-resort or something.

I think I'll try taking shorter and more temperate showers for a little and see how that works. If I'm still not getting the results then I'll change soaps and shampoos (I think either some Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders, or just something with the word "moisturizer" on it).

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how it goes over the next few days/weeks (although it's not really like anyone cares that much)

Edit: And what on Earth is a pouf? Is that one of those fluffy net-like things that helps you lather up liquid soaps? Sounds like it but not 100% sure...
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 10-27-2005 at 07:36 PM.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

b.) I'm using Pantene Pro-V (I just took it from my home in SD when I left) "Full & Thick: Builds strength and fullness into thin/thinning hair"
    Well the thinning hair thing really isn't a problem for me but it definitely doesn't have the words "moisturizing" on it or anything.
    I'm not a fan of generic brands, but that's probably because I'm a product snob. If you go to your local Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, or somesuch, you'll find shampoo and conditioners which moisturize. I remember I used to be fond of L'Oreal. Grab separate shampoo and conditioners- don't use 2 in 1 crap- they cancel each other out.

c.) The water temperature that I shower in, if anything, is probably a lot warmer than it should be. And yes my showers are probably quite a bit longer than the average person's. I'm sorry but long hot showers are definitely enjoyable. Of course dry skin is not so that factor is easy to change and I'll try it.
    I appreciate a long, hot, muscle relaxing shower as much as anyone else, so I understand where you're coming from. If you insists on keeping the showers long at least don't make the water too hot.

d.) I shampoo every time I shower (usually either once or twice a day).
    That is faaaaar too frequent. Every time you shampoo you strip your scalp of essential oils- shampoo is a soap. No wonder your scalp freaks out on you. Once every other day is sufficient. If you insist on shampooing frequently grab Johnson&Johnson's Baby Shampoo or something similar (its cleansers are very mild and gentle, so they won't 'strip your scalp like regular shampoo does). Alternate a regular shampoo and the J&J stuff if you insist on shampooing daily.

I only use conditioner on special occasions like when I'm planning on going out for the night.
    That's part of your problem. Use conditioner every time you shampoo. You don't need Super Deep Uber Moisturinzing stuff. Get a regular daily conditioner- that should be enough. Do use it every time you shampoo, though.

When I use conditioner it gets really really soft which I like and the chicks like but I've noticed that if I use it all the time it just isn't the same ya know?
    Get over it. Use it every time you shampoo. Your hair will thank you. Heck, chicks might dig it even while you're in class. Why not maximize your chances?

(I think either some Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders, or just something with the word "moisturizer" on it).
    Moisturizing shampoo should be your default shampoo. H&S and SB are both medicated to treat dandruff. They aren't interchangeable.

And what on Earth is a pouf? Is that one of those fluffy net-like things that helps you lather up liquid soaps?
    Bingo! They usually come in smaller and larger varieties- grab the larger kind- more lather, better feeling all over.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Your water is probably too hot.

Is your hair and scalp dry and crispy?

Take it easy with the super hot showers.

Up your fat intake as well.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've been shampooing too often. I'm doing searches and seeing that I'm not supposed to shampoo every time I shower.

I don't know if this is weird to you guys but I was ALWAYS under the impression you were supposed to shampoo every time you shower. Isn't that weird? I mean I'm doing searches here and it definitely depends on the individual.

Thanks a lot guys, definitely an eye opener. Should solve my problem easily. Woohoo!
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I don't know if this is weird to you guys but I was ALWAYS under the impression you were supposed to shampoo every time you shower. Isn't that weird? I mean I'm doing searches here and it definitely depends on the individual.
    There are all kinds of myths people are inundated with growing up. Heck, I was sure at one point I was going to get hairy palms and go blind and stuff. Meh. Always do your own research.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've been shampooing too often. I'm doing searches and seeing that I'm not supposed to shampoo every time I shower.

Thanks a lot guys, definitely an eye opener. Should solve my problem easily. Woohoo!

I generally shampoo each time I shower, but mainly because I need to get the gel out of my hair.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

The Big Wang
    too cold or too hot makes ur skin drier.
    Also.. use soap that is softer on ur skin.. like dove.. stay clear from dial.. dial dries ur skin
    and.. it is ideal to put cetaphil or eucerin on ur skin after u shower to trap the moisture in ur skin. Just make sure ur lotion doesnt have vitamin e.. <-- dunno why.. thats wut my dr. said.

I have this same problem.. I been to the doctor like 7 times these past 5 months because of ringworm, eczema, allergic reaction.. etc.. i have horribly dry skin and have been moisturizing regularly now.. u will see results within a week or so depending on how dry ur skin is.
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    I generally shampoo each time I shower, but mainly because I need to get the gel out of my hair.
    I used to do that until I discovered hair creams- light hold, beneficial ingridients, and easily water soluble, therefore no significant buildup.

I have extremely dry skin that acts up the minute it gets cold

**water is too hot, really take one as cold as you can
    **for a mild soap that doesnt dry out your skin try Dove like abwowang said, I've had to use it since I was little
    **If I have really bad patches eucerin works or lubriderm intensive whatever...
    ** I also have tried that Olay shower body lotion and I like it, its seems to work pretty well, it just doesnt seem necessary unless you don't want to lotion up when you get out the shower

As for your hair they actually tell women that we should wash our hair every other shower if we can, but I can't it looks dirty I think. My hair dresser made me stop Pantene, it apartenly uses wax, which makes your hair feel soft, but keeps out nutrients and really just ends up drying it out.
    Live Love Laugh and LIFT

Squat: 145X6
    Bench: 100X6
    BO Row: 115X6

Journal

Quote Originally Posted by LovinLiftin
    I have extremely dry skin that acts up the minute it gets cold

**water is too hot, really take one as cold as you can
    **for a mild soap that doesnt dry out your skin try Dove like abwowang said, I've had to use it since I was little
    **If I have really bad patches eucerin works or lubriderm intensive whatever...
    ** I also have tried that Olay shower body lotion and I like it, its seems to work pretty well, it just doesnt seem necessary unless you don't want to lotion up when you get out the shower

As for your hair they actually tell women that we should wash our hair every other shower if we can, but I can't it looks dirty I think. My hair dresser made me stop Pantene, it apartenly uses wax, which makes your hair feel soft, but keeps out nutrients and really just ends up drying it out.
    i wash my hair everyday, i just got my haircut shorter then it was before, plus she thinned it out as i had alot of hair, she gave me this excellent shampoo and conditioner called " hair toys texture" if you can find it i recommend it highly or "biolage"

gain 50lbs-Anthony

getfit I have an insane amount of hair too (that sorta sounds odd), i always have to get it thinned, i didnt see the hair toy with texture, but I saw some of their other products, which biolage did you use that you liked?
    Live Love Laugh and LIFT

Squat: 145X6
    Bench: 100X6
    BO Row: 115X6

Journal

Quote Originally Posted by LovinLiftin
    getfit I have an insane amount of hair too (that sorta sounds odd), i always have to get it thinned, i didnt see the hair toy with texture, but I saw some of their other products, which biolage did you use that you liked?
    they have one that's for very dry hair don't remember exactly the name but biolage is excellent a little pricey but it works.

Trust me i had alot of hair and now that she thinned it out it's more manageable and healthy

gain 50lbs-Anthony

That Biolage stuff sounds good and I'm not surprised that your hairdresser has recommended against Pantene cuz that's what I have been using and it's definitely dried me out.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

That Biolage stuff sounds good and I'm not surprised that your hairdresser has recommended against Pantene cuz that's what I have been using and it's definitely dried me out.
    they're excellent products, al ittle pricey though, you can look up also on "Aveda hair products"

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Aight I will, thanks.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

fatrb38,

Depending on how much you are willing to spend check out Anthony Logistics (products specifically for men). Excellent ingredients, I've had nothing but great times with their products. www.anthony.com

Also, Kiehl's has an almost cultish following. They make excellent stuff. www.kiehls.com

Bumble & Bumble also makes great products (and you can buy their hair products in BULK!!!! Very affordable that way). www.bumbleandbumble.com

i totally agree on kiehls products, haven't tried bumble and bumble, have heard of them. I must add that kiehl's has one of the best lip balms and hand creams i have ever used.

gain 50lbs-Anthony