Thread: Looking to purchase a laptop

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Looking to purchase a laptop

I'm in the market for a new (or used) laptop. I have found one that I really like, just have one question:

Is 10/100 Wireless networking worse or better than IEEE 802.11b/g 54Mbps?

Here is the laptop I am looking to buy: http://cgi.ebay.com/Averatec-3250H1-...QQcmdZViewItem

It will mainly be used to write notes, do research online and blow off steam by watching ATHF videos. Also, surfng the web wirelessly is very important to me.

10/100 typically refers to wired networking.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Get a Mac...costs a little more, but you won't get any viruses. Plus it's much easier to use. And, simply, they rock!!!

PS: I'm not a paid endorser....I just like the Mac!!!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

the kid from oz
    or get a laptop and run linux

btw. sif not know what boom headshot is
    Last edited by bigedge; 10-30-2005 at 04:26 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleP
    I'm in the market for a new (or used) laptop. I have found one that I really like, just have one question:

Is 10/100 Wireless networking worse or better than IEEE 802.11b/g 54Mbps?

Here is the laptop I am looking to buy: http://cgi.ebay.com/Averatec-3250H1-...QQcmdZViewItem

It will mainly be used to write notes, do research online and blow off steam by watching ATHF videos. Also, surfng the web wirelessly is very important to me.
    Hi TripleP,
    I think 10/100 Wireless networking is better and more user friendly then IEEE 802.11b/g 54Mbps. The laptop that you have choosed is wonderful. Could you provide me its configration. As you have mention that surfng the web wirelessly is very important to you therefore wireless connection will be better for you.

Banned
    You won't find a wireless connection that uses the full speed capability of a 10/100 anyway. That computer is great the way it is for what you said you need.

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Check here for great laptops!

Banned
    dells are nice and really cheap.. macs are really nice too.. look on dealmein.net and other rebate sites and once you find a good rebate for what you want, buy that ****

PoutineEh
    if you were buying a regular desktop computer, id say possibly find something cheap online (or build your own like i did), but for a latop, i would only recommend buying from somewhere that has good customer services i.e. dell, alienware (expensive though), or laptops from best buy. reason i say this is because i dont know a single person who hasnt had to get something fixed/replaced through customer services (or warranty, whichever deals with that stuff). i have 2 sisters (each with a notebook), one has a dell and the other a toshiba, and they both had major problems which required servicing.
    so unless you think you would save enough money where you can go to the local computer shop to fix your laptop instead of paying the extra money for major brand name computers and their warrantys, id say stick with the major companys.
    also, i think 10/100 (10 mbps/100mbps) is when your computer is hard wired and the other 802.11b (i think its 11mbs) and 802.11g (54 mbs) are the wireless things. unless you are into gaming, have a network at your house, or just want the range, 802.11b is plenty for most, but having that extra speed of g is nice also
    hope this helps

It sounds like you want to use your laptop at school.

I would check at your school to see what you need to get on their wireless network. I'm no computer buff, but I'm pretty sure 802.11 is pretty much standard.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur