Thread: Lacking Rhomboids

Lacking Rhomboids

What's a few good exercises to really hit the rhomboids? Whenever I work out my back, my lats seem to get the majority of the soreness and my middle back seems to lack. I've tried barbell rows and seated cable rows but it just never seems to feel like my middle back gets much of the work there. As far as form on those, I'm making sure to bring my shoulder blades together at the top of the rep each time. However, when I leave the gym, my lats are like "Holy crap! Stop! Stop now!" while my rhomboids are just "eh... whatever man, I could have handle way more."

Are you positive that you know exactly where the lats and rhomboids are located? I suppose deadlifts would help a bit also but whenever I do cable rows I hardly ever feel it in the lats. Double-check where your lats and rhomboids are and make sure that isn't your rhomboids screaming at you.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Um... Yes. I'm quite sure I know where they are.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm <-- my favorite chart.

Cable rows work the lats as well as middle back. (or supposedly). The reason my lats are screaming at me at the end of this all is because I've already done Pull-ups and T-Bar Pull-downs before going to the cable row or barbell row.

How many sets of lat pulldowns or pull-ups do you usually do before rows? I do weighted pull-ups before cable rows and don't seem to have much of a problem. Hey but then again we're all different, maybe try doing rows first and see how that works...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    How many sets of lat pulldowns or pull-ups do you usually do before rows? I do weighted pull-ups before cable rows and don't seem to have much of a problem. Hey but then again we're all different, maybe try doing rows first and see how that works...
    Well, I don't have a problem finishing up cable rows or anything... I just would like to feel more in my rhomboids at the end of the day. Lats are extremely tight at the end of the day and I just feel like I didn't do much for the middle back.

For pull-ups I do 3 sets of 6-8 weighted.
    Lat pulldowns I'm doing 3 sets of 6-8 at around 150lbs.
    Then onto Cable rows (I was doing barbell rows before this for about 3 months, I switched up my routine a bit) and do 3 sets of 6-8.

Do 3-4 sets of face pulls(rows from the high cable apparatus with the rope attachment) and you won't be lacking rhomboids for long... best exercise for the rhomboids, middle/lower traps, rear deltoids, and rotator cuff EVER!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Do 3-4 sets of face pulls(rows from the high cable apparatus with the rope attachment) and you won't be lacking rhomboids for long... best exercise for the rhomboids, middle/lower traps, rear deltoids, and rotator cuff EVER!

Does ExRx have a video for the proper form for this? Or does anyone for that matter?

What does soreness have to do with anything?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Absolutely! This is a great exercise and as soon as Built joins in, she'll say the same. .

For a twist, use a towel when doing this exercise...good times.

Aren't romboids covered by the traps? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/trapbig.jpg
    Anyway, it sounds like your lats are too weak/tired. Once they get stronger, your "rhomboids" may feel it a little more.

Face pulls are the sh!t. I just started doing them on back day recently.

yeah i was under the impression that you can't really see the rhomboids
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

Start your back session w. Kelso shrugs (lying face down on incline bench and shrugging w. DBs) and/or scapular pull-ups. Then, do heavy front raises w. a pause at the top supersetted w. bent-over laterals. Then, proceed with your normal back training session. If it's sore rhomboids you want, then it's sore rhomboids you will get...
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-28-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeMiKaL
    yeah i was under the impression that you can't really see the rhomboids
    They are mostly covered up by other muscles, but developing them will certainly make those other muscles stand out more(plus you'll be stronger). Big rhomboids = thick looking middle back
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat