Thread: Thought I would ask your opinions on my workout

Noob Lifter making progres

Thought I would ask your opinions on my workout

Here is the workout I am currently doing. I use a soloflex for most of the excersizes as I dont have access to a gym atm...not to mention a spotter.

SS = super set (low weight non conflicting muscle group to keep heart rate up)

Monday:

1: bench press / ss - curls

2: incline press / ss -bb bent over row

3: body curls / ss - incline bb flys

4: dip / ss - punching bag

Tuesday :

1: squat / ss- bb good morning

2: lunges / ss - bb curls

3: calf raises / ss -bb bent over row

4: dead lift / ss - bb oblique twists

Wednesday :

1: Military press / ss - bb bent over rows

2: Back of neck press / ss - bb curls

3: roman chair / ss - bb shoulder press

4: oblique twists / ss - forward/side shoulder raises

Thursday :

1: Front Lat pull down / ss bb oblique twists

2: Rear Lat Pull Down / ss tricep extensions

3: Front close grip lat pull down / ss roman chair

4: Bent over row / ss lat bb bent over

Friday: Repeat either monday or tuesday depending on soreness or rest

Sat/Sun off.

Looks OK.

Why don't you have access to a gym?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I just dont tend to go...but since I work out at home and work at home i never have an excuse
    Last edited by luvs2play; 10-27-2005 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2play
    I just dont tend to go...but since I work out at home and work at home i never have an excuse
    That's likely why I would go to the gym, get a break from home.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

yeah good point ...but i really enjoy working out at home...dont have to wear a shirt...make all the nasty noises I want...chalk no chalk...its my call...probably the only thing I really miss out on is barbells being lots of diff weights wo changing them...i use freeweights on my soloflex with lots of success and feel like the range of motion being somewhat controlled helps me avoid injury....and not having to depend on a spotter or wait in line is nice too.

oh I also miss mad cable row positioning...but im almost to the point where I will get my lats with pull ups and such...just need to gain a tad more and lose a tad more
    Last edited by luvs2play; 10-27-2005 at 08:01 PM.

Supreme Champ
    can someone please explain a super set to me
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod

Suppose you're supersetting sissy squats with leg extensions.

Do your set of sissy squats, then immediately do your set of leg extensions. Rest.

That's one superset.

Technically, supersets refer to two successive exercises performed on the same muscle group, but you'll sometimes hear someone refer to "antagonistic supersets", which means opposite each other, like hams and quads, or back and chest.

I actually just do the supersets to keep my heartrate up while Im resting my main target musclegroup...this way i get more of a circuit type cardio workout and still can rest my target group.

Ew.

Why would you want to do that?

Save cardio for creating a caloric deficit. Use weights to convince your body to hang on to muscle, so you drop fat as you diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Ew.

Save cardio for creating a caloric deficit. Use weights to convince your body to hang on to muscle, so you drop fat as you diet.
    If his goal is overall fitness including healthy heart and lungs, why would what he is doing be an issue?

-Tim

well...what are the negatives in keeping my workout heartrate up?...I still lift to failure..maybe my failure is sooner than if i had a low heartrate?...please let me know if there is some ill effect involved.

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2play
    I actually just do the supersets to keep my heartrate up while Im resting my main target musclegroup...this way i get more of a circuit type cardio workout and still can rest my target group.
    Conventional circuit workouts suck because they do a **** job of working muscles and they're bad for improving metabolic efficiency.

Look at crossfit.com to find some tried and tested HIIT workouts if you want to improve your anaerobic capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Ew.

Now you hush up, missy. Why wouldn't I use weights to perform aerobic work?

Has someone done her Tabata squats yet? Hmmmmmmm?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Supreme Champ
    ok thanks built but as u answered my question i now have another one...whats a sissy squat lol
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Conventional circuit workouts suck because they do a **** job of working muscles and they're bad for improving metabolic efficiency.

Look at crossfit.com to find some tried and tested HIIT workouts if you want to improve your anaerobic capacity.

Now you hush up, missy. Why wouldn't I use weights to perform aerobic work?

Has someone done her Tabata squats yet? Hmmmmmmm?
    I'm waiting for "end of cut". I need cals for this.

One week. I promise.

Hehehe....

I don't like to rely on exercise for "fat burning". Use diet to create the deficit. Use lifting to hang onto muscle. Use cardio to eat slightly more while in the deficit. You need to preserve LBM through weights more than you'll benefit from so-called fat-burning workouts, IMHO.

<off soapbox>

These are sissy squats (I do 'em unweighted).
    NEVER DO 'EM COLD. Do them after a heavy compound.

so is it your opinion(s) that I should cut the supersets and add more target muscle group sets?---the original idea came from mens fitness---and Im not stuck on it...just having a higher heartrate during my workout seemed like a good idea.

i do antagonistic super sets when i suddenly have to be somewhere and got to finish my workout quick lol... i wouldnt do them for the sake of my heart rate when im lifting. if i wanted to get my heart rate up id go running (and yes... im aware that weights can be a very good aerobic training tool but that isnt how i like to use them)