The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

High Volume Workouts

Quite a few people perform high volume workouts yet don't see much results( there are some that do well) with their training. What's wrong with high volume you ask? There's nothing wrong with it, except for the fact that most cannot handle it (Arnold was an extreme exception and could do a lot of volume) and IMO, MANY CAN GAIN MUCH MORE MUSCLE WITH LOWER VOLUME AND HIGHER INTENSITY. This is not to say that high volume doesn't work, but many people do way too much and try to target all the different heads and such, but yet they weigh 150 lbs and are looking to gain the most mass possible.

I heard one member saying that as a basic guideline this is the total volume for each muscle group-

legs- 15+ sets
    shoulders-12-15 sets
    back-12-14 sets
    biceps-9-12 sets
    triceps-9-12 sets
    back-15+ sets
    calves-8-10 sets
    chest-10-12 sets

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING, that is way too much for the average person, and especially if those are all working sets.

I have a challenge for those that thrive on high volume workouts, TRY A LOWER VOLUME APPROACH WITH HEAVY BASIC MOVEMENTS for a few months and keep a good diet and get sufficient sleep(7-8 hours), tell me how much you gained. I think you will be surpised.

For those that are always looking for a better routine and a 'mass gain program' (most don't realize it comes from diet), try this out for size. This emphasizes very basic compound lifts that will be sure to pack the mass on.

4 day split( you can switch the days if it is more convenient

Monday- Legs
    -back barbell squat- 3x6-8
    -hack squat- 3x8-10
    -Stiff legged deadlift- 3x10
    -calf raise- 4x10-15

Tuesday- Chest/Tris
    -Flat Barbell Bench Press- 3x8-10
    -Incline Barbell Bench Press- 3x6-8
    -Close grip bench- 3x8-10
    - skull crushers-2x8

wednesday- Light cardio or take the day off

Thursday- Shoulders/ abs
    -Seated Barbell Press- 3x8-10
    -upright rows OR side raises- 3x8-10
    -crunches or hanging leg raises- 2x15-20
    -side crunches- 2x20

Friday- Back/Bi's
    -deadlifts- 3x5
    -bent over rows- 3x6-8
    -barbell curl- 3x8-10
    -preacher db curl- 2x10-12

Saturday- Light cardio or take the day off
    Sunday- Light cardio or take the day off

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I totally agree with you and when i first started did to much volume however i was overweight badly so at the time it worked for me with the extra calories i was burning(not that i new this at the time however). The only thing i dont understand is why you would have people doing so much of a higher rep workout for abs?? is their something different because as far as i was aware you should train them like any ther muscle. The workout looks good the only other thing i wouldnt do is train tri's with chest as i always find their shot after chest. i know their are different opinions on this however i like a good workout for them and be able to go as heavy as possible. This works for me.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

I posted this information in a different post yesterday. My current stats and stats in February when I got back into lifting after a six month haitus. I decided to try a once-a-week full body, 1-2 working sets per bodypart workout. These are the results, during this time I was also on a cut until September 15 of this year. On my current bulk since September 15, I have to admit that I added 50 pounds to my Deadlift and 40 pounds to my Squat in a month and a half. I never realized just how important food was to gains here! Hope this info helps.

February 2005

Bodyweight 250 6'3

ATF Squats 135x10
    Deadlift 135x10
    Dumbbell Bench 70x8
    Chin Pulldowns 140x8
    HS Lateral Raise 90x6
    Weighted Dips BWx2
    DB Sidebends 60x8
    HS Crunch Machine 120x10

CURRENT

Bodyweight 222

ATF Squats 250x12
    Deadlift 275x8
    Dumbbell Bench 100x6 (200lb total)
    Chin Pulldowns 215x6
    HS Lateral Raise 125x5
    Weighted Dips BW+90x5
    DB Sidebends 100x4
    HS Crunch Machine 250x5

Quote Originally Posted by HardToSquat
    I posted this information in a different post yesterday. My current stats and stats in February when I got back into lifting after a six month haitus. I decided to try a once-a-week full body, 1-2 working sets per bodypart workout. These are the results, during this time I was also on a cut until September 15 of this year. On my current bulk since September 15, I have to admit that I added 50 pounds to my Deadlift and 40 pounds to my Squat in a month and a half. I never realized just how important food was to gains here! Hope this info helps.
    What level of lifting/fitness were you at before your layoff? Is the once/week training session the only physical activity you did?

My layoff started last Septemeber and lasted until mid-February of this year. Last September my weight poundages were as follows:

Bodyweight: 255
    Height: 6'3

Deadlift: Did not do them
    Squats: 180x10 to parallel only
    DB Bench: 80x10
    Dips: BW+10x6
    HS Crunch: 175x4
    Sidebends: 85x6

Lifting is now and was last year the only physical activity. I was in a lot worse shape last September too than I am now as I quit drinking last December and changed my diet around too. So I guess you could say that I gained back to an extent some of the prior gains I had last year. I mainly do the once-a-week routine due to time contraints with work, family(children) and school.