Thread: 2 days off in a row is bad?

Banned

2 days off in a row is bad?

My good friend who is jacked, says he never takes 2 days off during bulking time because it's pointless. His split is
    day 1 back n bis
    day 2 legs
    day 3 off
    day 4 chest n tris
    day 5 shoulder n traps
    day 6 off day 7 repeat

Is this true ? I have been lifting had for about 40 days and havent had two days rest in a long time,

Id say during a bulking time their is nothing wrong with this however during cutting i could see the logic
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

i think rest is just as important as is your training and diet
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Your friend is a gym rat. If you've only been training for 40 days, I wouldn't attempt to emulate somone's split who is much more advanced than you are. Also, how can he say he never takes 2 days off when day 3 and day 6 are off?

He meant 2 days off in a row.

Banned
    Im asking if 2 days off in a row is bad for you, will I loose strength ?

no
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

My good friend who is jacked, says he never takes 2 days off during bulking time because it's pointless. His split is
    day 1 back n bis
    day 2 legs
    day 3 off
    day 4 chest n tris
    day 5 shoulder n traps
    day 6 off day 7 repeat

Is this true ? I have been lifting had for about 40 days and havent had two days rest in a long time

Heck no. 2 days off in a row won't hurt you, at all. I took last week off due to a minor leg injury and came back stronger. I set a personal best in deads. There are people that do 3 day splits, working Mon, Wed. and Friday, with the weekend off.
    It all depends on how hard you work and how well your body recovers. Stick to what you're doing and ignore other routines for at least a couple more months, concentrating on learning how to do all the lifts correctly. Stay away from machines and use nearly all free weights. Try to focus on compound movement exercises - squats, deads, bench flat/incline, bent over rowing, dips, pullups, standing military press, etc. These will help you build strength and size better than machines will.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

If he does legs the day after back, I'd be willing to bet he either doesn't do deads or squats.

To answer you question tho, 2 days off in a row will just give you more recovery time...your muscles wont dissapear.

I take two days in a row off every week and I get stronger every week.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

FRIDAY and SATURDAY are my days off. We're only human, not machines.. even so, machines need rest too. Think of those days as rewards.. stay home eat and rest or go out and do something fun. last year when i took a year off from school, i'd take myself out shopping every 5lbs gained hahaha IT'S FUN.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plumber20
    His split is
    day 1 back n bis
    day 2 legs
    day 3 off
    day 4 chest n tris
    day 5 shoulder n traps
    day 6 off day 7 repeat
    Looks like he's got 6 days off in a row to me :P

to us the definition of 2 days off mean 2 days OFF from the gym. so if you do cardio in of those day, that day is no longer a day off. I think there's a difference between 2 days off and working a muscle group every 6 days. If this was the case, we all should workout every single day with one muscle group a day. haha I mean each group would then get 6 days of no direct work. Sure we can do that. But just because you can drive with one eye, that doesn't make it a good idea right? lol.

Banned
    hahah those 2 days felt great, i shuoldered press 140lbs 4 times today and i regularly do it 2... now does this mean my body is telling me i should take 2 days off in a row more often ? My schedual is this

Mon Bis n back
    tues tris n chest
    wed off
    thursa shoulders n legs
    fri back n bis
    sat ofdf
    sunday tris n chest
    mon shoulders n legs
    tues off
    wed repeat

I go basically 2 days on 1 day off but since these 2 days off felt great....how should i change my schedual

Wannabebig Member
    the rest won't kill you....just do a 3 day split

m - work
    t - off
    w- work
    r- off
    f- work
    s-off
    s-off

your muscles build outside of the gym not while your lifting.

When i was at school i would go everyday...but being at home i go 3X a week and i feel stronger with the extra rest

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    If he does legs the day after back, I'd be willing to bet he either doesn't do deads or squats.
    Don't place that bet so fast.

I do legs after back day and I do both deadlifts and squats.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    no

^I'm with sexy.

I've used routines that have two days off in a row for much of my time lifting and have seen great results.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    So would you suggest lift 5 days in a row then the weekend off ?

you can lift 4 and throw in a cardio day in your split

wknd off.

i do upper/lower and cardio on wed.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Klutzy McKlutz
    Two days off in a row is definitely not a bad thing.

One thing I'd recommend is trying different things out and seeing what works best for you. For me, lifting every other day, alternating upper and lower body with a lower volume, seems to do the trick. Every so many weeks, I'll take two-three days off if I feel like I need it. Give different splits a try for while (say. a month or so) and see how you like it. Why not start off lifting three times a week and add in more days every several weeks until you find the point where your gains are the highest? If you find something that works, stick with it. It's a pretty individual thing in my opinion.