Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chin-Ups with weight added, What do you guys think !?

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Don't they hit the abdominals?

Something I did differently on Friday bashed the hell out of my abs. Since the only 'new' excercises I added were pull-up negatives and assisted close grip chins I was sure one of them was the culprit.
    If there is weight transfer through the lower body, e.g. standing on an assist machine or holding dumbbells between your feet, then the abs will be heavily taxed. If the legs are free handing (and if weight is only added to the upper body with a belt or vest) then the abs won't be heavily used.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by Go Pre
    Funny I should read this. Usually I can do 4-5 sets of my own body weight x 10. However, today I felt as if I could barely get myself up to the bar doing on 3 sets of my own body weight x 8. Is this a normal thing? Possibly just me being fatigued?
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    This makes no sense considering they don't hit the "upper body". They hit portions of it.

True that. Chinups- biceps,lats mainly. Dips.. triceps mainly and activate SOME chest. Sure you got all your stabilizers but as you said "portions" of other muscles.

You can avoid bench press but that horizontal adduction movement of the benchpress has to be done to "HIT" chest.
    Never Giving In.

The really, really best full upper-body movement is the muscle up.
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/muscle-up_loyd.wmv

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

So chin-ups are palms in and narrow grip and pull-ups are palms out and wider grip? I must have always had it the other way around. Why does exrx.net and everyother weight training book I've read have it the other way around too? i.e. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../WtChinup.html
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    So chin-ups are palms in and narrow grip and pull-ups are palms out and wider grip? I must have always had it the other way around. Why does exrx.net and everyother weight training book I've read have it the other way around too? i.e. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../WtChinup.html
    They show the exact same hand position for chinups and pullups, and then they label the variation to be "underhand chinups"....or "close grip chinups"

I don't think it really matters what you call it, but saying underhand or overhand infront of whatever term you decide to use would clarify and allow everyone to move along.

If anyone is worried about missing specific muscles during the motion, do as some of the people already suggested and switch grips every once in a while.

There have been sooo many threads on the difference between the two. If you really want to know what others have said - do a search.

Otherwise, grab the ****ing bar and lift.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Hell yes to chinups and pullups with weight. Get a dip belt and some plates and go to town! These are my favorite / best back exercises.