The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My name and my Age

Chin-Ups with weight added, What do you guys think !?

Lately ive become really good at chin-ups smashing 3sets of 10 easily. I found this thing that you wrap around yourself and can hold weights on it to make the chin-ups harder. I dont do many upper back exercises, well really only chin-ups and bb rows, but im looking to get a big upper back. Has any1 had good gains from doing weighted chin-ups by adding more weight all the time to them? heres the thing - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/griz/grizfbelt.html

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    yeah its called a dip belt. Well at least thats what most use it for. How about instead of chin ups...some pullups?

My name and my Age
    I thought chin-ups were the best. Are pull ups just when your palms are facing the opposite way im not 2 sure..

Banned
    Pullups are a wider grip palms facing away from you. Your hands should be should width or a little more apart. It works your lats as opposed to your...uhmmm lol well I'm not exactly sure what a chin up works.

Biceps and traps? That's where I feel close grip underhand chins the most anyways. I use them now to replace barbell curls. Leave my biceps totally baked.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Weighted chinups and pullups are the best upper body exercises.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

That belt is definately a good investment. I can't believe how many gyms don't even have these things. You could also try holding a dumbell between your legs, I find the belt a lot easier though.

I also find my weighted pullups difficult to maintain. Sometimes I can get 10 reps with +15lbs some days I barely get 8 reps with bodyweight.

I'm not sure what your intentions are with chinups but try switching to pullups(palms away from you, shoulder width grip) they are more difficult and work the muscles differently (more emphasis on the lats).

My name and my Age
    Thanks guys. I also do close grip underhand chins. Didnt realise it was the best upper back exercise, happy with that.

Keep doing the rows too, though. Also, try some T-Bar rows.

what you should do is different variations of pullups, chin up, and the neutral grip chinups. Don't just give up with regular chin ups. Go wide with the pronated grip. (Palms facing away from your face) This is the hardest level of pull up. But key is how you do it, The tempo. Go up fast but pause at the top for 2-3 seconds and when you come down go slow. count a 1,2,3 and repeat. Do the same tempos with the other grips. As you get stronger you can pause longer and come down even slower. This is how you destroy your lats! After you feel you've made some good improvements and are slowing in progress you may wanna try some weighted pullups.

But don't forget about your machine rows, bb rows, db rows, lat pulldowns, ext..
    Last edited by waynis; 10-29-2005 at 11:38 AM.
    Never Giving In.

Yeah I use a dip belt for pull-ups and have seen excellent gains. Went from bodyweightx7 about 3 months ago to bodyweight+25x8. I think I can now do over 15 reps of my own bodyweight.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

My name and my Age
    waynis - Sounds good i'l try some new things out.

fatrb38 - Sounds good. I'm gonna order it on wednesday, pretty cheap aswell.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, let me get this right........pull-ups, are when your palms are facing away and shoulder width apart, or just over.

chin ups, are when the hands are supinated (facing you) and shoulder width apart.

please explain to me how pull-ups work different areas of the muscle. as far as i know, you are still performing the same action but in a weaker position, because now the biceps brachii, which insert on the radial tuberosity, are in a less direct line of pull.

Quote Originally Posted by obsessivegrowth
    Ok, let me get this right........pull-ups, are when your palms are facing away and shoulder width apart, or just over.
    This is what most folks call a pull-up, correct. They can also be parallel grips.

chin ups, are when the hands are supinated (facing you) and shoulder width apart.
    Shoulder width, or narrower. Correct.

please explain to me how pull-ups work different areas of the muscle. as far as i know, you are still performing the same action but in a weaker position, because now the biceps brachii, which insert on the radial tuberosity, are in a less direct line of pull.
    Dunno. I just know I can do more chinups than pullups. I feel my biceps more for chins - I imagine they give more of an assist in this position.

Well, I guess since they force less emphasis on the bi's, the weight that the biceps were pulling is now working a different muscle(s). That's my take on it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Dunno. I just know I can do more chinups than pullups. I feel my biceps more for chins - I imagine they give more of an assist in this position.

i think what you said is basically affirming my point. you can do more chin-ups because you have a more direct line of pull. pull-ups are the same movement, without a direct line of pull, so you cant do as many. By my reasoning, then, if you can do more reps in a stronger position, then you could add more weight, which in turn means you would benefit more?

Do both! Yes, most people can do slighty more with chinups. because the bicep is in a much stronger position. A pullup is more functional for climbing purposes.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash

No doubt about it in my mind. Chin-ups and dips are the squat and deadlift of the upper body.

My name and my Age
    spencerjrus - Sounds right, but arnt u forgetting something ?

(bench press)

Bench is overrated for upper body development, IMHO. I can't do bench right now because of my rotator cuff, and I seriously haven't noticed a problem with my upper body development in its absence.

Chins and dips have served me well.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    This makes no sense considering they don't hit the "upper body". They hit portions of it.

"I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I thought chinups and pullups hit every upper body muscle in some way. With the exception of abdominals and lower back.

Don't they hit the abdominals?

Something I did differently on Friday bashed the hell out of my abs. Since the only 'new' excercises I added were pull-up negatives and assisted close grip chins I was sure one of them was the culprit.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by TOBART
    I also find my weighted pullups difficult to maintain. Sometimes I can get 10 reps with +15lbs some days I barely get 8 reps with bodyweight.
    Funny I should read this. Usually I can do 4-5 sets of my own body weight x 10. However, today I felt as if I could barely get myself up to the bar doing on 3 sets of my own body weight x 8. Is this a normal thing? Possibly just me being fatigued?

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Bench is overrated for upper body development, IMHO. I can't do bench right now because of my rotator cuff, and I seriously haven't noticed a problem with my upper body development in its absence.

Chins and dips have served me well.
    You can do dips with a screwed rotator cuff??