The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Feeling the burn in the wrong places.

Does anyone else have this problem? Your on an exercise machine that says the primary muscle is hamstrings but you feel the burn in your calves instead. I have been having this problem ever since i started doing weights. Does anyone else have any insights on this problem? I would really appreciate it as i don't want to be skipping any muscles.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. You're probably doing the exercise with wrong form.
    2. You had not adjusted the machine to work with your body.
    3. you have weak calves.
    4. go with freeweight.
    5. It tells you the primary muscle being worked but does it state the secondary muscle too or synergists?
    6. do high foot-placement leg press.

I've had a similar problem that coincidentally has to do with calves and hamstrings. Basically when I was doing leg curls my calves kept feeling awkward and eventually cramped on me. I've noticed that cramping of a muscle almost always happens when I flex that muscle (and there are other pre-requisites obviously).

Basically whether you like it or not you are probably flexing your calves during leg curls (assuming this is the exercise that you were doing). Try doing leg curls before calve raises, or do you usually do them before calve raises?

There was a similar problem that someone posted not too long ago where they do pull ups and then rows and notice their lats getting fatigued during rows when it's supposed to work the rhomboids.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    The machine only has hamstrings as the primary musle.
    I don't think i have weak calves because i can do a decent amount on the calve machine. I have the same problem with the Chest press. I only feel the burn in my arms and not in my chest.

Atlantis machines? I'm the same way on them. With the calves it's because I tense too much. With the chest press, as humbling as it is, I've concluded it's because my arms are the fail point.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Solution: Stop using the machines.

Wannabebig Member
    Well how do i exercise if i don't use machines. I don't know how to use free weights.

You probably feel that machine in your arms because the grips aren't wide enough for you. That's where free weights would be much better - on bench, you can widen your grip.
    Go to www.exrx.net and read EVERYTHING in the exercise/muscle directory. You will come out with a much better understanding of weight training. Also, read everything you have time for on this site. Seriously.

Practice without weights, mimic the movement you wish to perfect, concentrating all the power comming from the target muscle and the least from stabilizers. Tense and contract the muscle as you practice. Act as tho you are actually lifting a invisible heavy load. It's all in the mind really, ever since I've started this form of weightless practice, my form and target muscle stimulation has skyrocketed, I can feel EVERY movement I do exactly where I want it to be felt. I can even get a good pump just from doing this weightlifting simulation, it's all mental bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Sous_chef
    Well how do i exercise if i don't use machines. I don't know how to use free weights.
    Put the bar on the ground, pick it up and lift it over your head. Repeat.

Any exercise involving flexion at the knee joint can involve the gastrocnemius muscle as well as the hamstring muscles. This is because the gastroc originates from the femur and inserts onto the calcaneus tendon (aka achille's tendon), thus crossing (and acting on) both the knee joint and the ankle joint. You can tell that you are using your gastrocs during the leg curls if your ankle is plantarflexed (toes pointing away from you).
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.