Thread: How do you squat heavy weights without a squat rack !?

My name and my Age

How do you squat heavy weights without a squat rack !?

This has been annoying me now but i still carnt get the hang of it, im pretty sure i could do it if i find the right way. I dont know how ppl squat like 140lbs or more, without hurting themselves. I havent long been doing them and im only doing about 20kg lol, but i workout at home. Ive got a bench thats all, im just wondering how do u get so much weight on ur back and put it down correctly without hurting urself... thnaks for any info..

You will really need some sort of squat rack to do this. unless you have 2 other people that can lift the weight for you
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

My name and my Age
    Damn, ok. The main reason i started doing squats and even working legs is because a number of people told me that if you just work the upper body and not the legs, you wont get as big as you could, because working legs helps stimulate muscle all over the body or something. Does it really matter if i just go light with squats and do different leg exercises? Thing is i dont know many though (dumb bell lunge, squat) and most are done by machine i thought and i workout at home . Does anyone know any good other leg exercises that can be done with free weights? Thanks for any help..

Wannabebig Member
    Try hack squats, deadlifts, straight leg dead lifts.

THese are similiar to squats and can be done without a rack and they all work legs.

You can see videos of these at www.exrx.net - just go to the exercise directory, weight training section.

Zercher squats.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Yeah! ^ Zerchers are killers. I do 110 lb ATF and it leaves me feeling like I've done HIIT. I use them, hacks, and leg press to replace/avoid squatting in the smith.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Banned
    You can do squats with dumbells up to like 200lbs at least. That's 100 lbs or 4 - 25lb plates on each dumbell. You can go even higher if you work on strengthening your grip, but it would probably get pretty rough at that point.

Eat and eat and eat and... ThatSkinnyGuy's Avatar
    Here's what I do: Place bar on bench. Load bar. Lean the "seat" of the bench forward. Get underneath the bar, do a somewhat front-leaning sumo squat and bring the weight up on my shoulders. It works pretty well for me. Won't hold up in a hundred pounds, but below 200 it's gold.
    It turns out the answer to every question is still deadlift and eat.

Just save up for a rack. Find a decent one, though. You canget by for very long without oune, and they're soooo useful. They spot you on bench, you can do seated millies, claf raises, pullups, rack pulls, etc etc...

I used to clean and press the weight to my shoulders, and then press it back off. I couldn't do over 135 that way though.lol. Then, I wised up and got a rack before I hurt myself.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Learn to clean and front squat.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Right now I'm doing 150 with single leg split squats - so it's 150 lbs for one leg, and I'm able to clean the bar and then lift it over my head and put it in the squat position. I know what you meen though, I'm gonna have problems pretty soon, because 150 isn't super easy to just fling up over my head. There's no way I'd ever be able to get up enough weights to do a regular squat, which is why all I can do right now are split squats.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

My name and my Age
    Anthony - Been looking up zercher squats, looks painful i would imagine they would wreck hell out of ur bones in the bottom part of your arms.

TonyH - I definetly like the sound of that, i carnt imagine myself lifiting 60-70kg with dumb bells though lol. Are they just as good as normal squats and is it easy to get the form right?

ThatSkinnyGuy - Not sure what your onabout lol.

mrelwooddowd - Sounds good but the last time i checked they were expensive as hell. Know any good sources?

Thanks for the info guys..

My name and my Age
    Just thought of something... If normal squats are so awkward for most people like me, why doesnt everyone do dumb bell squats instead ?

dumbells are a whole lot more awkward to squat with imo...

you can get a power rack for a reasonable price (its certainly a lot cheaper than a boflex)

till then, do zerchers, deadlifts, front squats, and cleans.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 10-29-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Banned
    Any of these squats will be awkward until you get used to it. I don't think dumbell squats are any more awkward than the others. Of course, I use a squat rack at the gym now so its been a while since I've done it that way.

The problem I had with squatting at first was that I wanted to come up on the balls of my feet and that made me lose my balance. Once I learned how to go down while keeping my heels on the floor it was all good. How far apart your feet need to be and such is a little different for everyone. For me its shoulder width apart with toes slightly pointing away from each other. You kinda have to elarn to stick your butt out instead of trying to move it straight down as you squat to keep your heels on the floor.

Once you figure out how to squat while keeping your heels down, you should be able to do any of these squat variations with a little practice. Its easier to squat properly holding some weight though, so don't expect to practice and do it right without any.

Heh, funny you mention that Tony.

For a while when I just started doing squats, I just knew I was doing something wrong. I really couldn't put my finger on it.

Then, one morning in the shower it hit me. I have a habit of bringing my heels off the floor when I bend my knees. My bad form was wreakin' my knees, and I knew it.
    I took a week or two off from squats completely, and then started consciously keeping my heels down.

Ever since, I've had absolutely zero problems with my knees. As a matter of fact, they almost feel better than ever now that I've started taking a Glucosamine/chondroitin supp. I <3 that stuff.

Well, time to go squat. It's leg day.