The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Rack pulls vs Deadlifts

Hey all,

Ive wanted to do deadlifts for awhile, but Ive always been scared to do them. Well, Ive been in a weight lifting class this semester and I asked teacher, but he said we weren't allowed to do deadlifts because we dont have the area to do them in and we dont have padded weights. Do you think it would be acceptable to do rack pull instead? Are these as good as deadlifts? And how exactly do you do these? Thanks alot.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Philippians 4:13
    Rack pulls in no way can ever replace deadlifts.

Eat and eat and eat and... ThatSkinnyGuy's Avatar
    You dont need any padded weights - just the willingess to kill one's floor.. My 'platform' consists of about five layers of carpeting, then layers of cardboard box, then a thin rubber mat. Adjust your standing height to get the necessary ROM and voila! Of course, there's a really good chance being in a concrete-floored basement helps. I'm sure any form of tile or hardwood flooring would have been decimated a looooong time ago. Just an idea.
    Last edited by ThatSkinnyGuy; 10-29-2005 at 09:47 AM.
    It turns out the answer to every question is still deadlift and eat.

Although I like deads better, but rack pulls are a good alternate.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 10-29-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I use phonebooks as shock obsorber when i have to drop the weight. As for rack pull, if you're pulling enough weight, you will get a good ass workout regardless. This exercise, however, only work the top half of the ROM. If you are limited to doing rackpull, what i can suggest you to do is to set the safety bars to the lowest setting, and stack plates underneath your feet to raise your body by a few inches.

My name and my Age
    Dont be scared to do deadlifts man seriously. They are awesome.
    Last edited by Gareth_18; 10-29-2005 at 12:35 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    OK, thanks for the replies guys.

Gymnast and Rookie, I guess rackpulls dont equal deadlifts, but thats about what Im limited to right now.

Thatskinnyguy, unfortunately I dont have my own weights, and I dont think im ready to mess up the floor at my university, haha. I dont even want to think about the cost they would slam me with if i did do that.

DNL, id look mighty funny walking into the gym carrying 2 phone books . But seriously though, thanks alot for the suggestions on rack pulls. I was actually thinking of just lowering the safety bars to basically all the way to the floor in the power cage, and seeing if thatd work. Didnt think about stepping on plates, so Ill give that some thought to see howd thatd work. Thanks alot!

Gareth, Ill admit Im still kinda scared to do them, haha, but thats not what is limiting me right now. The fact that my gym wont allow me to do deadlift is what is limiting me

Quote Originally Posted by Rudygee2
    Gymnast and Rookie, I guess rackpulls dont equal deadlifts, but thats about what Im limited to right now.
    yep, that's why I said it was a good alternative. As DNL mentioned, it will work the upper part of the lift. Many people who get stuck part way up on the lift perform this movement to get past the sticking point.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I actually love rack pulls.

I do 'em on one of my two weekly back days. I do RDLs on hamstring day, so I get a full ROM there.

Wannabebig Member
    Wait, so Rookie and Built, the upper part of deadlifts works out the lower back and the lower part works out the hamstring? Is that correct? So if I were to do what Built does, doing rackpulls on back day and RDL on legs day, would that be almost the equivalent of a deadlift? Thanks alot guys.

Rudy-
    Doing two excercises as listed is not the same as doing a full out DL, though it might be the best you can do right now. Think of it this way, while doing just hack squats and leg extensions are better then doing nothing, and might be all you can do, these two do not completly replace a full on back squat.

Nothing really replaces any of the big three, or four depending on how you view lifting, but one does what one can. Eventually you will be in a situation where you can do full DL's, when you can, do em. Until then, make do.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

Deadlifts, rack pulls, RDLs - all work the posterior chain. They all hit hamstrings, glutes, back to varying degrees.

Off the floor deads really are the king of back development. I scrape the hell out of my shins when I do 'em, so I don't bother.

My compromise is in how I do them. Because I do two leg days and two back days a week (but they're all different workouts), I get enough of a hit on my back to make me happy with the rack pulls and the RDLs. You may not. It all comes down to how your body develops, and your individual geometry.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Ironminded and Built,

Thanks alot for the advice guys! Seeing as I have pretty limited options like Ironminded said, Ill go with it and see how it affects me. Hopefully itll work out well for me as it does for you Built. Once again, thanks!
    Last edited by Rudygee2; 10-29-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Rudy- as Built alluded to there are reasons why someone might chose not to do deads, or do them in only a limited way. This is the case for me, I spend all week, when not in classes, lifting 90-120 lbs paint buckets so my low back gets a ton of work and I don't want to over work it. However I do make use of heavy squats and heavy Powercleans at the end of the week.

What you need to do is to look at your goals and the means you have available to you and make the best of what you got. It sounds like you are doing this so good luck.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

If you can set the pins fairly low, rack pulls are a decent substitute for off the floor if you aren't allowed.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer