Thread: Windsor knot (+snicker-worthy anecdote)

Windsor knot (+snicker-worthy anecdote)

In the course of one's life, certain occasions call for a degree of presentable sophistication which a young male in an urban setting simply does not acquire with ease. A suitable example of this is the taking of my senioir photographs- Friday.

My funny anecdote: I went to Burlington Coat Factory because it's closest in proximity to my school- it never ocurred to me that I might need a degree of preparation before my foray into the world of art galas and finger food; translation: dress shirts and ties.

I looked through the enormous selection of dress shirts, and was scolded viciously upon attempting to open one to examine it closely. Acquiescing to the large woman's malevolent glare, I retreated.

I continued to wander for a few moments before having an ephiphany: I DON'T KNOW MY SIZE. Why do all of these shirts seem so unnaturally.. tiny? Size 34-36 chest? Waist? Either shirts are made for chunky folk or for Auschwitz victims. What about the tiny waists and large chests? I inquire cautiously.

"hahahahahahahahaaaahahaha"

"Excuse me?"

"ahahahahahahaahehehhnweheh"

"Pardon me, but I really am confused."

"Honey, that big number is your SLEEVE LENGTH."

"..oh. How do I know if the shirt fits by the size of my arm and neck? -scratches head-"

At that point she just told me not to worry, measured me, and walked away. I picked my shirt, and lo and behold- all is good. There's my anecdote. I'm an uncultured savage.

Meanwhile, my inquiry: the "windsor" knot.

I studied a few diagrams on Friday morning and quickly developed the skills necessary to execute the "four in hand" knot, but all of the visual aids for the "windsor" knot seemed vague and did not help me much.

Could anybody give a more readable and usable explanation for executing this particular knot? I prefer its look, and would rather not have to ask someone else to tie it for me.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Do a search on google or yahoo, that's how I learned.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/windsor.html

I dont think it could be any simpler than that.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    If the knot doesn't look right or tapered enough. pull the knot down by grasping the front (overlapped portion) and tug it down,it'll fix it right up.( I guarantee you will need this bit o info.)
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I did it; rejoice!

It took me about four tries just now using Spencer's diagram (thanks, mang), but I figured it out. At first it seemed weird because the tie was so short (didn't come to my bellybutton), but this problem seems to be easily remedied by beginning the knot higher up on your neck.

Thanks for the tip, H. Helped.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

I ws on the way to my wedding rehearsal, and realized that I had a tie and couldn't tie it. We stopped for gas, and the guy on the other side of the pump looked like he'd worn a few of them in his day. I'm not a guy who's afraid to ask for help in any situation, so I gave it a shot. The most hilarious coincidence was taking place, as he's tying my tie for me and tells me that he's a wedding photographer and does this all the time..lol.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083